Old May 02, 2015, 02:16 PM
Find More Posts by ryand27
Beginner rc pilot budding fpv
Joined May 2015
6 Posts
Discussion
hobbyking bixler 2 setup

Hello guys this is a introduction of sorts lol

I've never flown a rc plane before so this is my first plane and think I made the right choice! This is a list of all the bits I've bought so far. I will start off Los then hopefully go on to some fpv. Anyone recommend a good setup for under 200 when I do get there? Here is what I've got.....

Bixler 2 arf
Turnigy plush 25 esc
Zippy compact lipo 2200mah 25c
Hke4 compact balance lipo charger
12v car charger lead (till I can afford UK plug)
Xt60 (5 pair)
Gold bullet connectors (10 pairs)
Antec xs25 25w soldering iron
Flysky th9x8 tx/module/rx combo

Items I need to get are tape to reinforce leading wing edges and fuselage ( any recommendations on tape?) I will get the servos for flaps when I go on to fpv. At some point I will also upgrade the module and rx for the th9xb (best combo for mod/rx for straight fit no mods?)

If I have missed anything or you have some suggestions for me then please, I will welcome all advice.

Thanks guys
ryand27 is offline Find More Posts by ryand27
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2015, 09:21 AM
Joined May 2015
6 Posts
No one?
Old May 05, 2015, 03:17 PM
Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,709 Posts
Umm, what motor/prop did you buy?
Your esc choice would be marginal, once you step up to flaps and FPV you'll need a stand alone bec to handle the load. Also again depending on the motor/prop it may be advisable to have the esc mounted out in the airflow to keep it cool.

Check out this thread, pretty much the Bible on Bixlers and Sky Surfers.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1231310

Just page 1 will give you a ton of info.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old May 07, 2015, 12:52 PM
Joined May 2015
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post
Umm, what motor/prop did you buy?
Your esc choice would be marginal, once you step up to flaps and FPV you'll need a stand alone bec to handle the load. Also again depending on the motor/prop it may be advisable to have the esc mounted out in the airflow to keep it cool.

Check out this thread, pretty much the Bible on Bixlers and Sky Surfers.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1231310

Just page 1 will give you a ton of info.
Hi glacier girl

Thanks for the esc info 😄 I will probably put the esc inserted in front of motor. I will take a long hard look at the link you posted, thank you. I got the stock motor and prop which is 1300kv brushless motor and 7x5 prop. I will upgrade to 50-60a esc when I go to fpv but that won't be for a while now anyway. I did a few more things today Like duct tape reinforcing leading wing edge and so on, I have a Orange 3 axis v2 stabiliser coming and male to male servo wires. Is that going to be ok for a beginner?
Old May 08, 2015, 04:00 AM
Find More Posts by Mac50L
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,286 Posts
Either flex all hinged surfaces before connecting the servos or better still cut off all moving surfaces and fit pinned hinges. About $1.20 for a packet of 10. Others will suggest using tape and if you use the right type of tape probably OK. Not attending to the surface's flexiblity will load the servos and in some cases lead to failure. This is where people blame the servos instead of blaming the tightness of the hinging.

If fitting flaps either -
1.) point both in the same direction or
2.) get a reversing adaptor for one servo or
3.) programme the Tx and have them on 2 different Rx outputs or
4.) dismantle one servo and reverse 4 leads, 2 on the pot and the 2 on the motor

I didn't see heatshrink tubing in your list (to go over soldered joints).
Velcro to hold things down.
Mac50L is online now Find More Posts by Mac50L
Old May 08, 2015, 05:45 AM
Joined May 2015
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac50L View Post
Either flex all hinged surfaces before connecting the servos or better still cut off all moving surfaces and fit pinned hinges. About $1.20 for a packet of 10. Others will suggest using tape and if you use the right type of tape probably OK. Not attending to the surface's flexiblity will load the servos and in some cases lead to failure. This is where people blame the servos instead of blaming the tightness of the hinging.

If fitting flaps either -
1.) point both in the same direction or
2.) get a reversing adaptor for one servo or
3.) programme the Tx and have them on 2 different Rx outputs or
4.) dismantle one servo and reverse 4 leads, 2 on the pot and the 2 on the motor

I didn't see heatshrink tubing in your list (to go over soldered joints).
Velcro to hold things down.
Hey Mac

Thanks for your help. I'm not going to be using the flaps for a while. I have been looking at that hinge tape, il have look at the pinned hinges and decide which is best for me 👍🏻 I already had heat shrink tubes hanging around in all different sizes and colours lol 😄
Regarding the flaps I probably won't be using till I start fpv, but maybe sooner as I will probably get impatient lol
Old May 08, 2015, 05:50 AM
Joined May 2015
6 Posts
Also forgot to mention about flexing the control surfaces, I have gone from rud, elev, ailerons and slowly and carefully moved the hinges back and forth. They all seem to travel freely and loosely (ie not stiff at all) is that ok Mac?
Old May 08, 2015, 06:00 AM
Find More Posts by Mac50L
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand27 View Post
carefully moved the hinges back and forth. They all seem to travel freely and loosely (ie not stiff at all) is that ok Mac?
Yes, OK..... until they break off.

The pinned nylon hinges are easy to fit. Mark where they will lie. I then mark 2 of the holes, the ones on the end edge. Using a sharp snap-off bladed knife, cut a slit in the edge of the moving surface and what it fits to. Slide the hinge in and with a dremel with a 1 mm drill, drill through. It should be easy to go through the hole in the hinge providing you have marked correctly. I then feed a bit of split kebab bamboo stick (could use a split match stick) right through, having first put a blob of PVA glue on the hole.
Mac50L is online now Find More Posts by Mac50L