New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2013, 02:33 AM
Find More Posts by Ron_RC
Joined Nov 2011
179 Posts
Discussion
RC Flying Saucer UFOs

Hi all, If you have a UFO you've built, it would be nice to see it and know the specs for it. I'm trying to get people to call in a sighting here in Washington state with my UFO.. Who knows, I may have already gotten people to call. I incited one man to drive into our neighborhood and cuss me out and tell me to stop that #*%!. Ha ha! All the best and Happy flying!

UFO Space Alien Flying Saucer Original (4 min 41 sec)
Ron_RC is offline Find More Posts by Ron_RC
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2013, 08:08 PM
Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,679 Posts
that's pretty rad dude!! ive been wanting to make one myself...I have enough parts laying around too for this...just haven't gotten around for it.

What material did you use for the body? FC? lights? light controller?? love the little alien dude. I would probably set mine up for FPV too!!
SDSURFnGLIDE is online now Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Dec 10, 2013, 04:22 PM
Joined Nov 2011
179 Posts
SDSURFnGLIDE,
For the body it's self, I used some 1/2" styrofoam insullation to make the bottom of the fuselage, the prop ducts, and he skirt that goes around the bottom, and I used 3mm depron to sheet the top.

For the booms, I used 1/2" birch square stock.

Lights: 9 mode multicolor LED from HobbyKing on my flaps switch for on and off.
For navigation lights I had non interrupted power from the 3S battery via an adapter with a JST plug. From that I used strips of three LEDs of Red (port / left side), Green (starboard / right side), Blue (fore / front), and Yellow (aft / back).
For the bottom, I used a white led strip around a circle facing out to a beveled piece of foam to bounce the light down for a tractor beam.

Propulsion system is:
an OrangeRX 6 channel receiver,
KK2 board flashed with v1.5 in the X configuration with the gear switch for autolevel,
4 - 25A HK SS ESCs flashed with SimonK,
4 - E-max 1534kv motors from HobbyKing (FC 28-12 1534kv),
4 - 3mm prop savers,
4 - GWS style 8x4 props with 3mm hole.

For paint, I used a foam safe silver (some that say foam safe will still eat the foam so test on scrap first) and foam safe flat black.

If I can finish other projects and get back on the template for this, my buddy will cut them on his laser cutter and we will sell the bodies with the basswood and 1/8" ply pieces to hold it together.
However, the prop ducts on the production model will only be 7" due to the table size of the laser so the motors will need to be FC 28-05 2840kv and 6x3 3blade GWS props.
I ran this setup on the first rendition with an i86 controller and it had more power than the 8x4 props but a shorter flight time but, it sounded Awesome!

Here is a poor quality video of the UFO with the original setup.
RC UFO Flying Saucer with Lights (4 min 52 sec)
Old Dec 10, 2013, 06:40 PM
Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,679 Posts
cool...thanks for the run down...i have a few sets of different sized motors sitting around..2212 1250kv...2814 11 1000kv...and 2814 11 750kv...couple fc's too...have a kk2.0 or mw flip and a mwpro with gps...haha...but to keep it simple...id probably stick with the kk2
SDSURFnGLIDE is online now Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:42 PM
Find More Posts by rudyauction509
7 foot floater
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Mar 2013
500 Posts
I made it into the newspaper here in spokane a couple months ago with my 7 foot plane covered in LEDs because a bunch of people around the field where I fly thought it was a UFO. A nice reporter and photographer came and wrote an article about me and I gave them a demo flight. Now most of the people there know me and some stop by when I'm flying. I'm planning a quadcopter build with short range FPV equipment, I might put some lights on it and fly around the neighborhood and see what happens.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...cefully-above/
rudyauction509 is offline Find More Posts by rudyauction509
Old Feb 04, 2014, 02:14 AM
Joined Nov 2011
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyauction509 View Post
I made it into the newspaper here in spokane a couple months ago with my 7 foot plane covered in LEDs because a bunch of people around the field where I fly thought it was a UFO. A nice reporter and photographer came and wrote an article about me and I gave them a demo flight. Now most of the people there know me and some stop by when I'm flying. I'm planning a quadcopter build with short range FPV equipment, I might put some lights on it and fly around the neighborhood and see what happens.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...cefully-above/
Ha ha ha! Rudy, that is awesome. I've had people drop by thinking they had seen a real flying saucer UFO but never a news writeup. That is great!

My UFO sat in my garage for a while as an unfinished project, then I decided to put some motors in it and give it a go.

Here is what it looked like when I finally got it airborne in the garage.

RC UFO Flying Saucer w Carbon Fiber Xcopter (6 min 1 sec)
Old Feb 04, 2014, 02:20 AM
Joined Nov 2011
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSURFnGLIDE View Post
cool...thanks for the run down...i have a few sets of different sized motors sitting around..2212 1250kv...2814 11 1000kv...and 2814 11 750kv...couple fc's too...have a kk2.0 or mw flip and a mwpro with gps...haha...but to keep it simple...id probably stick with the kk2
That sounds like a great idea going with the KK2. I started out with an i86 and found out quickly that it needed more to keep it steady in the air. When I put the KK2 board in it, it responded nicely and now I only fly this in autolevel. Every time I try to go into manual mode to do flips, I eventually crash. It has a hard time recovering after a flip and needs plenty of elevation. All the best and Happy flying!
Old Today, 11:27 AM
Joined Nov 2011
179 Posts
My newest UFO with a tractor beam and build photos and a crash.

UFO Flying Saucer Tractor Beam and Build Photos (3 min 26 sec)
Old Today, 11:30 AM
Joined Nov 2011
179 Posts
My newest UFO after repairs (a little CA glue but no structorial damage) and a new ESC with an improved tractor beam (1000lm). This time it's beaming down a hexapod drone to take over the world! Ha ha!

UFO Flying Saucer with Improved Tractor Beam - Ron_RC Episode 2 (3 min 32 sec)
Old Today, 11:31 AM
Joined Nov 2011
179 Posts
Delta wing UFO.

Is it a UFO!?! (3 min 41 sec)