New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 09:57 PM
Find More Posts by Curtis1966
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2003
479 Posts
First of all, the tip of the prop is shaped like that for the same reason it's painted, to look more like a scale prop. Second, I wanted to use the stock motor, esc and a 6-cell battery. The LX P-40 I'm working on (slowly) has an upgrade motor/esc (Tacon 110/Jetti) and run on 8-cells. I didn't want that whole process with this Corsair.
I've been building and flying model warbirds from the mid 70's. I still have a few gas powered warbirds (Byron Corsair, Century Jet Sea Fury, Vially P-47, 2 Ziroli Zeros etc), but I'm into electric powered airplanes now because they're smooth and relatively quiet. I'm into foam ARF warbirds because I'm sick (lung) and tired of painting and CA'ing. I have painted over 35 models of all description and I really enjoy working on these foamies. FMS did a good job with this model and although I've modified a few things, it checks out great.
Curtis1966 is online now Find More Posts by Curtis1966
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 10:07 PM
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2003
479 Posts
Warbirds

Here's a couple of my model warbirds. I'll delete them in a few days because they aren't electric powered. I do plan on flying the Corsair on batteries. Enjoy!
Old Today, 05:40 AM
Ldm
Find More Posts by Ldm
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
9,084 Posts
Curtis, we all get it and I know from our other shared threads you know your stuff, but this is a caring group and we sinecerly want to see you have success so we are commenting on our expereince as well . I have build everyting from small 10" comit models to 1/5 Pica kits but I am not an expert at anything . I have sold candy for 28 years, was recently given an award and called an expert, I said " an expert is someone that is no longer willing to learn" .
So my point is , we may learn from your mods but we dont want to learn at your expence , so that is why the voice of concerns vs sitting back eating popcorn and saying "cant wait to see this " . If goes well we may all try it , but we do care as a group and that is what makes RC Groups better in my opinion then RCU !!!
Have a good day , best of luck in the test and we hope it goes well
Ldm is online now Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Today, 07:08 AM
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2003
479 Posts
Here's a little history of model airplane propellers. Back in the early 80's, Zingers were the props to go with. They were ok, but loud. When APC and Mejzlik came out with their props, we got better performance and less noise. These props help save our club field for a decade or so, but as the engines got larger, so did the noise. So we went with 3-bladed props to get the noise down, but did suffer some performance lost. Then came tune pipes and canisters. Unfortunately, we lost our field in 2001.
Here's where the electrics come in. We changed our club's name from 'Atlanta Drone Society' to the 'Electric Drone Society' and continued to fly at our field until 2009. Electric powered models was a real godsent because I was responsible for the noise we made since I founded the club in 1970 (we flew on my dad's farm until 1986). I have done very little gas powered flying and no glow since 2001.
Back to props. APC took a break on their big props (they were failing) so they could concentrate on electric props. I thought, what's the big deal with electric props. It was a big deal and these props are both quiet and efficient. The modern electric wood props also are quiet and efficient, and have basically the same APC shape. We are very lucky to have such fine products available to us. Sometimes to get the pitch/wide of the blades that I want, I shorten the prop. Usually, I keep the APC shape at the tips, but on the Corsair, I wanted a more scale appearance. So bottom line, don't doubt this prop or whole set-up, it will go like stink!
Ldm, you've probably figured me out by now. I enjoy messing with many planes at once and going on-line more than flying. I'm still burned out, but hope to get back to flying. I have a house full of models and have given half a dozen to friends. I really think I reached my peak when I was awarded the 'Joe Nall' trophy in 1996. Oh well, I'm still enjoying myself and you guys add a lot to my pleasure. Here's to a great flying season!!
Old Today, 10:14 AM
Find More Posts by xviper
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
7,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis1966 View Post
We changed our club's name from 'Atlanta Drone Society' to the 'Electric Drone Society'
That might not be the word you want to throw around too much in the RC business these days.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Today, 01:03 PM
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2003
479 Posts
Xviper, you're right about the new definition of 'drone'. Please people, keep those things away from full scale airplanes and helicopters. If it wasn't for the fact that I get motion sickness watching the screen I might get one. I know the drone folks are helping the hobby business (so far).

On a side note, have I told everybody how much I love these foamies? We used to spend months on our models and painted them up real pretty (heavy) and would cry when they got damaged (and they did get damaged). It's a real joy for me to relax and not worry about the little dings. And they look so scale and fly so nice, love them. I'll go back in my hole until the test flight, so stay tuned.
Old Today, 01:32 PM
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2003
479 Posts
One more little rant about gas engines and electric motors. I used to work on my gas engines (Sachs 3.2, 4.2 and 5.2, Percision Eagles 4.2, and later on the DAs, D&B twin, etc) to get them to run smooth (run-out and timing was the main things that need checking. They still shook and were too loud for my ears and apparently our neighbors's ears. Electric motors still need to have their prop shafts trued, but they are so sweet. I don't know how our servos suvived the gas planes I flew. Motors can be made to do whatever you want by choice of esc, prop and battery. All of the electric powered planes I have now are smooth and reliable and the batteries are getting better by the day. Rejoice my fellow electric flyers, times are good for us!
Old Today, 01:47 PM
Find More Posts by xviper
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
7,677 Posts
On a slightly (but not entirely) off topic note .........................
I fly at 3 fields. One of them has some membership that are comprised of the "old school" gas and "nitro" planes. I brought my FMS Pitts there last week. At the same time, another flyer was there with his biplane of a similar size but it was gas powered. He came over to me to ask what size engine I had in mine. When he discovered it was electric, I could tell his displeasure and he was no longer interested in my plane. There still exists that animosity towards the "new fangled" electric planes at some fields.
After I put in my 2 beautiful flights, he was still at the bench trying to get his plane running properly. It stalled on him 3 times as he tried to taxi out to the runway. By the time I completed 6 flights on various planes I had with me, he had managed 1 successful short flight. I say short because he landed it early because the plane was starting to sound funny. When I left for home, he was still there mucking about with the same stupid plane.

PS. I'm sure they'll hate me when I bring my Corsair there.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Today, 04:26 PM
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2003
479 Posts
Xviper, we had a choice of flying only electrics or electrics and 4-strokes. Even the 4-strokes were too loud. I suggest that clubs that are losing their field because of noise, try to get the neighbors to accept electrics. I know electrics came along when I needed a break from gas/glow. When I fly my EF 78" Extra 300, everybody compliments me, but it might be the fact that I'm old. Have a good evening.