New Products Flash Sale
Old Today, 11:04 AM
Find More Posts by brandonmoon
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Mar 2009
5,679 Posts
Most important thing is to ballance the prop and spinner as a whole unit.....this is what will loosen the motor mount and cause vibration failures..... this holds true for ALL planes
brandonmoon is online now Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 11:10 AM
Find More Posts by GFergy
New York Highlander
United States, NY, Vermontville
Joined Apr 2012
2,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonmoon View Post
Most important thing is to ballance the prop and spinner as a whole unit.....this is what will loosen the motor mount and cause vibration failures..... this holds true for ALL planes
True that! I should confess, mine loosened up on a not-so-greased landing!
GFergy is offline Find More Posts by GFergy
Old Today, 11:23 AM
Joined Mar 2009
5,679 Posts
This is one of the BIGGEST killers of these FMS foam planes, and many other brands as well, Just something inherent to just about any foam plane IMHO.

"Proper Prop assembly balancing" ...With this done, & also needs to be checked from time - to - time due to the nature of these kind of propellers. With this done regularly, the longevity and performance of the plane is greatly increased.

I'm just re-setting up many of mine from being in storage for the past year or so from my move from GA to AZ , and have found that many, if not ALL, needed the propeller assemblies rebalanced to be able to run smooth and vibration free. Even after having already done it several time before.

This can be a time consuming process, but it's imperative!!!

NOTE: the vibration in the planes...is also a "servo killer"..... (Old School lessons for the wooden build up days, which I also still do )
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 12:16 PM
Find More Posts by GFergy
New York Highlander
United States, NY, Vermontville
Joined Apr 2012
2,016 Posts
I always balance a new prop, but how do you go about balancing the entire prop/spinner assembly?

EDIT: I just answered my ownnnn question. Found this video by Steve from Killer Planes:
https://youtu.be/xN70Ww9Wuc8
GFergy is offline Find More Posts by GFergy
Last edited by GFergy; Today at 12:28 PM.
Old Today, 12:39 PM
Joined Mar 2009
5,679 Posts
You have to have a balance stand with a long balance shaft that will allow you to balance the entire prop assy.

I use the one from dubro with the optional longer ballance shaft. the use it and the end of a table with it clamped or weighted down

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXD712&P=ML

And this longer shaft.....

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCJRM&P=M
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 03:39 PM
Find More Posts by Suenaga
Jim Lafferty
United States, CA, Redlands
Joined Feb 2014
2,431 Posts
Maidened (Finally)

The epoxy did the trick on the motor mount---Popped the prop back on and no more vibration. Maiden flight went smoothly although I was surprised how much pull to the left she had on the take-off run. Once in the air she was a pussycat and landings were vey very smooth, both with and without flaps. I'll post a quick video in a bit--nothing you guys haven't seen before. Motion emailed me today and said mine was only the second "documented" instance of a loose motor mount/and or/reversed thrust angle. but they sounded like they were going to take it seriously via FMS.

Jim
Suenaga is online now Find More Posts by Suenaga
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 03:42 PM
Find More Posts by peterswolf
United States, FL, Ruskin
Joined Apr 2012
1,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suenaga View Post
The epoxy did the trick on the motor mount---Popped the prop back on and no more vibration. Maiden flight went smoothly although I was surprised how much pull to the left she had on the take-off run. Once in the air she was a pussycat and landings were vey very smooth, both with and without flaps. I'll post a quick video in a bit--nothing you guys haven't seen before. Motion emailed me today and said mine was only the second "documented" instance of a loose motor mount/and or/reversed thrust angle. but they sounded like they were going to take it seriously via FMS.

Jim
Great news Jim, glad you were able to get it all sorted out and up in the air, this plane is such a fantastic flyer.
peterswolf is online now Find More Posts by peterswolf
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 04:23 PM
Find More Posts by Suenaga
Jim Lafferty
United States, CA, Redlands
Joined Feb 2014
2,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterswolf View Post
Great news Jim, glad you were able to get it all sorted out and up in the air, this plane is such a fantastic flyer.
Thanks!

Here is the video of the maiden.

FMS 1400mm Zero with SAFE Rx Maiden May 27 2015 (4 min 10 sec)

Jim
Suenaga is online now Find More Posts by Suenaga
RCG Plus Member