SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Have you had a prop fail yet?
Yes, mine broke 85 45.70%
Nope, all good so far! 101 54.30%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 26, 2013, 03:52 AM
Joined Sep 2013
44 Posts
Poll
Blade 350 QX Prop Fail Poll

A quick Poll to see the number of people who have had prop failure on the Blade 350QX ONLY please.
Neverhood is offline Find More Posts by Neverhood
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2013, 05:30 AM
FPV enthousiast
Belgium, Flanders, Beveren
Joined Jul 2013
501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverhood View Post
A quick Poll to see the number of people who have had prop failure on the Blade 350QX ONLY please.
Can you please add an option: 'Nope, but when I checked I found cracks and replaced the set.'

I haven't got any broken props, but found out all my factory installed props had cracks.

See my post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2835

Thank you!
JaZzMaN251 is offline Find More Posts by JaZzMaN251
Old Sep 26, 2013, 05:43 AM
Joined Sep 2013
44 Posts
Unfortunately I dont think I can modify the poll already in progress
Old Sep 26, 2013, 05:47 AM
Joined Sep 2013
44 Posts
I think for the purpose of this treat "mine broke" as breaking - cracks found, potential to break and note it at the bottom in the thread as a reply.

The intention of the poll is to see how many people are having issues vs the number of people that think they are ok at the moment.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 08:57 AM
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined Mar 2013
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaZzMaN251 View Post
Can you please add an option: 'Nope, but when I checked I found cracks and replaced the set.'

I haven't got any broken props, but found out all my factory installed props had cracks.

See my post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2835

Thank you!
Jazz, just curious, did yours ever have a prop strike? IE from anything major or even something as slight as a roll over in the grass?
Gnatz is offline Find More Posts by Gnatz
Old Sep 26, 2013, 09:09 AM
FPV enthousiast
Belgium, Flanders, Beveren
Joined Jul 2013
501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnatz View Post
Jazz, just curious, did yours ever have a prop strike? IE from anything major or even something as slight as a roll over in the grass?
No, as far as I know, nothing hit the props up to the check.
The Return To Home feature sometimes lands a bit 'harsh', making the 350QX bounce a bit when landing. But comparing video's of the Return to Home feature with my experiences, it's the same 'bounce' on landing.
JaZzMaN251 is offline Find More Posts by JaZzMaN251
Old Sep 26, 2013, 09:46 AM
United States, WI, Grand Marsh
Joined Sep 2013
31 Posts
I found one prop with a crack in it, but very well could have been my own fault.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2638
RevQuads is offline Find More Posts by RevQuads
Old Sep 26, 2013, 06:36 PM
United States, WI, Grand Marsh
Joined Sep 2013
31 Posts
I just discovered a crack in my second prop. In all fairness, this one could have been weakened already by me running into things. But the crack in this prop was not there when I found the crack in the other prop (prop on motor #2 first and motor #1 today). I changed the first cracked one, examined all the others, then this afternoon I flew three batteries through it with my old GoPro and waterproof case. This evening I checked for cracks again and found one where there had not been any before the three flights today. And today I hit nothing at all. It could have been developing from when I hit something before, or this is something new. I will continue to check them after each flying session until suitable upgrades are available. This in no way upsets me, I still think the 350QX is wonderful! It's just one of those things = a bug that needs to be worked out.
RevQuads is offline Find More Posts by RevQuads
Old Sep 28, 2013, 01:40 AM
Joined Sep 2013
846 Posts
As posted in the other thread..

3 CRACKED PROPS

Had about 5 batteries through mine, mostly easy flying a few flips and fast climbs etc no camera's

Seem to be the originally fitted props that have failed ( I say that as I selected the best balanced props to balance and fit before I flew it)

At this stage the cracks are in the mounting bosses, the outside ends of the blades can be bent back on themselves and not break while the hub is obviously brittle as it would have squashed rather than crack.

They are clearly overtightened from the factory, the mounting face on the motor is not square and too small

I think I can discount localized hardening from threadlock fumes as in a destruction test with some cutters all parts of the propeller are a little "Crispy" when squashed and cut .

I stick with my original thoughts, the material is too brittle and is fatiguing allowing stress crack formation as no cracks were present in propellers that had been fitted but not flown.
Marrrv is offline Find More Posts by Marrrv
Old Sep 28, 2013, 05:07 PM
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Jun 2009
203 Posts
Count me in. Was flying it in circles in stability mode for some kids to watch (they called it a space ship) and all of a sudden.....bam.

Worse part is now I need a new frame as well. Will be calling horizon on Monday.

v/r
Andrew
timmins02 is offline Find More Posts by timmins02
Old Sep 29, 2013, 01:02 AM
amo ludibria ventis
United States, VA, Chantilly
Joined Oct 2010
7,648 Posts
How are you people running into things with this quad????

I also wonder how many of you are cracking the props when you remove them.
PontiusPilate is offline Find More Posts by PontiusPilate
Old Sep 29, 2013, 02:34 AM
Joined Sep 2013
846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiusPilate View Post
How are you people running into things with this quad????

I also wonder how many of you are cracking the props when you remove them.
What !!....do you think people take them off with a chisel without unscrewing the bolts
Marrrv is offline Find More Posts by Marrrv
Old Sep 29, 2013, 10:21 AM
Joined May 2012
4 Posts
Ad me on the list another unexpected propeller blow out in flight at two hundred feet..need new body and other parts....
Chris.Williams is offline Find More Posts by Chris.Williams
Old Sep 29, 2013, 10:22 AM
Joined Jun 2009
203 Posts
Flown it three times, zero crashes or tip overs. Never even flown in agility mode, was flying it for a couple of kids to see at our local field and BAM. Lost front blade at about 30 feet or so and it came tumbling down.

Im not mad, at first I figured I just had some bad luck, but when I went back to my LHS to order some blades and a frame my buddy who works there said there have been a lot of reports and I should call horizon first before spending my money. So I checked online and found a lot of posts like this.

Also on Blade's facebook they said this

"Richard, we are working on a solution. We have seen reports of props failing both through Facebook, forums and our product support team. Let me assure you we are working on a fix as we take our quality very seriously.

At this time we are not ready to make an official statement of what is going on because we are doing a full analysis on the issue. We hope to have an official statement early next week. Although there are a few mentions of it online,rest assured this is not as widespread as it seems.

The bottom line is we will take care of the issue and rectify it with our consumers. Horizon is well known for our support and we are going to great lengths to make that clear here"

I'm not gonna be one of the guys that gets crazy over this. It's a new product, it has bugs. I will call horizon and hopefully they will take care of me. If not I will probably still order the parts and put it together, then ground it until they have an official statement.

It's still an amazing product, and lets face it, there will be 100's of aftermarket props made for this soon anyway.....
Old Sep 29, 2013, 10:24 AM
Joined Jun 2009
203 Posts
Just found this video:

Blade 350 QX Freak out and CRASH (13 min 10 sec)

Guys be careful right now....that one could of ended bad.