HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2015, 04:21 PM
Joined Feb 2015
26 Posts
Have mine about ready. Ditched prop and spinner replaced with apc 9X6e and eflight collet prop adapter. Someone here suggested removing heat shrink from esc as it covered the heat sink ..made total sense, so did that. Hung the esc with a couple of strips of Velcro from the oe Velcro strip, heat sink inboard......
highndry1 is online now Find More Posts by highndry1
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2015, 05:29 PM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Jan 2011
577 Posts
It's OK to remove the heat shrink on the ESC to expose the Heat Sink . But the ESC still needs to be water proofed Cuz it will fry if it gets wet.

Here's a good little vid to watch.

Flite Test | Waterproofing Electronics (18 min 20 sec)
HuskyDude is online now Find More Posts by HuskyDude
Old Mar 21, 2015, 05:21 PM
United States, TX, Chandler
Joined Sep 2014
16 Posts
Does anyone have a measurement from inside of the float to inside of the float?
pasquale91 is offline Find More Posts by pasquale91
Old Mar 21, 2015, 05:28 PM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Jan 2011
577 Posts
I got 29.5
Old Mar 21, 2015, 06:27 PM
Prop-Snapping Excitement!
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Feb 2014
165 Posts
Just got in from a nice sunset flight off the snow (we got another few inches this morning as a "Springtime welcome"). A steady 3 mph wind from the SW was no problem, actually fun. It's the gusty winds I hate.
RexGalore is online now Find More Posts by RexGalore
Old Mar 22, 2015, 09:20 AM
United States, TX, Chandler
Joined Sep 2014
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyDude View Post
I got 29.5
Thanks! After reading this thread, the Tidewater is on my short list.
Needed to know if it would fit my transport rack, or if I'd need to mod the rack.
pasquale91 is offline Find More Posts by pasquale91
Old Mar 22, 2015, 08:32 PM
Canada, ON, Kenora District
Joined Sep 2014
66 Posts
Maidened today!

Hi,
I bought the Tidewater on Friday, assembled it today, and took her up in about 5 mph wind off bare ice. It performed well, a bit of aileron trim, which I adjusted for mechanically after landing. Had I left the factory wing servo settings alone, it would probably been perfect.

It was of course a bit louder than my Flyzone Beaver, and responded a lot quicker. I think I'm going to like this plane. I liked how if I punched the throttle it didn't nose up much.

Ive attached a few pictures, the first showing how I moved the ESC velcro to the component side, then added a chunk of aluminum for extra heat sinking. I'll put a proper finned one on when I find it in my junk box. I also added the plastic spoon scoops fore and aft (sorry clive66, I'm cheap!)

Second pic shows my 808 #16 camera mount under the wing. That's a little piece of 1/16 plywood painted black, and velcroed on with some 1/8 inch foam spacers between to provide clearance for the elastic band. This will let me put the camera in a bag or condom come summer when on the water. The orange thingies are an earplug cut in half and glued to the plywood. It tilts the camera down a bit and helps with vibration. Sample video here:
Airplane 2015 03 18 (2 min 15 sec)

(Sorry, its the Beaver).

I painted part of the underside of the wings red for orientation. This second picture also shows what happens when you run out of Krylon and grab your wife's generic red spray paint. OOPS! I am trying to convince myself the pebbled foam looks neat.

Third pic shows the 3.2 mm carbon fiber braces on the elevator (10 inch rods), and motor pod (6 inch rods). Just a big blob of hot melt glue at each end of the rods, seems pretty solid now.

A quick question: my wife said the plane made a very high pitched whistle/whine noise besides the regular motor noise, and it was annoying. I personally could not hear it (ears aren't that good at high frequencies). I balanced the prop, and did not use the spinner. Vibration seems nil. Could this be the little wingy things at the end of the prop blades? Bearing noise? I assume the bearings are sealed, or could I spray something in the rear vent holes at the bearing?

Anyhow, great plane, I'll be brave enough for video next time.
-Chris
nwchris is online now Find More Posts by nwchris
Old Mar 22, 2015, 09:12 PM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Jan 2011
577 Posts
Looks good Chris ! Glad to see your ESC sealed. As far as the high frequencies you hear or rather don't hear... that could be the ESC. I'm using a different ESC and a DJI self tightening prop. So I can not compare it. Sorry.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 12:57 PM
Canada, ON, Kenora District
Joined Sep 2014
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyDude View Post
Looks good Chris ! Glad to see your ESC sealed. As far as the high frequencies you hear or rather don't hear... that could be the ESC. I'm using a different ESC and a DJI self tightening prop. So I can not compare it. Sorry.
Yes it probably is the ESC. I am thinking of cheap variable speed AC drives I used to work on, they used to make the motor whine a lot. Well it sounds fine to me, and most the complaining type neighbors are old like me and probably can't hear it either!

I have my CG exactly 2 inches back from leading edge, seems fine to me. What are most folks setting to?
-Chris
nwchris is online now Find More Posts by nwchris
Old Mar 23, 2015, 01:02 PM
Gravity is weak but persistant
United States, NY, Port Crane
Joined Aug 2009
353 Posts
2" from L.E. for me as well.
Charlie P (NY) is offline Find More Posts by Charlie P (NY)