SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 18, 2015, 08:29 PM
Find More Posts by rcboosted
Joined Sep 2006
1,968 Posts
Question
LemonRx 8Ch DSMX PPM suddenly stopped working

So I've got a tricopter with a LemonRx 8Ch DSMX PPM receiver I've been flying for a couple of months now without issues. Range checked well beyond LOS. Today while I was flying, the tricopter just went into fail safe and fell out of the sky.

Currently, the Rx main body shows a quick flash of red led if I connect 5V to it then it goes dark. The Sat doesn't show any sign of life. Inspection of the PCB and components did not show any physical damage. What gives? I was testing this tri for a trip in 3 weeks, now I don't know if I'll have enough time to order another to make it in time...
rcboosted is offline Find More Posts by rcboosted
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2015, 06:28 AM
Find More Posts by Daedalus66
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
17,857 Posts
Disconnect everything from the receiver. Insert bind plug. Apply 5v. If you get rapid flashing, go on to complete a re-bind. If you don't, check that power is applied with correct polarity.

If you can't get the receiver to go into bind mode (flashing), it is faulty.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Apr 19, 2015, 05:44 PM
Joined Sep 2006
1,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Disconnect everything from the receiver. Insert bind plug. Apply 5v. If you get rapid flashing, go on to complete a re-bind. If you don't, check that power is applied with correct polarity.

If you can't get the receiver to go into bind mode (flashing), it is faulty.
Thank you for the quick reply. I did what you instructed and the Rx is back to life. Now the real question is, why did it lose binding in the middle of flying? If it some how went out of range, I can see the FC going to fail safe, which it did. But why would the binding be lost?

The only thing I can think of is, it lost signal, FC went to fail safe. I saw it landed upside down with the motor twitching since it couldn't turn. I quickly turn it over. Perhaps some surges in current made the BEC send out some bad power?
Old Apr 19, 2015, 09:03 PM
Find More Posts by teamdavey
Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Joined Apr 2000
1,978 Posts
What tx are you using?
teamdavey is offline Find More Posts by teamdavey
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:26 PM
Joined Sep 2006
1,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamdavey View Post
What tx are you using?
Devo 7e with Deviation mod, external antenna mod and extended range mod. I was flying at 30mw of power, which I tested to beyond 100 paces. At the time of the crash, it was barely 50 paces away and not much altitude, maybe a couple of stories high at most. I had the antenna pointed to the side so it's the same orientation as the Rx antenna. (both of them)
Last edited by rcboosted; Apr 19, 2015 at 10:31 PM.