Closed Thread
Old Oct 05, 2014, 10:33 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,699 Posts
Discussion
Electric Airboat in Salt Water

Hi all,

How do you protect an outrunner and ESC from saltwater damage in an airboat configuration? I have a set of Multiplex Mentor floats and will either sell them or make them into an airboat like RC boat similar to this craft on Youtube. I plan to run this b oat at the RC boat basin in Mission bay (San Diego); salt water.

I did a search and could not find a definite answer. Most posts are for float planes over fresh water, or else boats with the engine inside the hull running on salt and fresh water. Some posts talk about WD-40 or Corrosion X; some posts say flatly, don't run electronics in salt water.

My concern is protecting the bearing, winding (magnet wire) and magnets/adhesive from saltwater corrosion as well as the ESC since it would have to be exposed to the airflow for cooling.

Sprengboot Tornado 1:13 (5 min 11 sec)
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2014, 11:45 PM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,367 Posts
That is cool.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Oct 06, 2014, 05:03 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
3,005 Posts
The answer is basic regular servicing, ie after each session. Oil bearings, check protective surfaces.
The coils themselves are insulated with a layer of enamel, so worries there. The ends, however are likely bare solder, this will benefit from protection.
Other electronics are best kept in a waterproof container. Whether it is a compartment designed into the boat or an added box is unimportant. Salt water corrodes metal, it does nothing whatever to plastic
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Oct 06, 2014, 07:14 AM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,732 Posts
A fresh water rinse after every run as well. Electronics need to be kept in a watertight enclosure, the motor will handle a dunking as long as its rinsed off and the bearings get a drop of oil, Buy cheap motors and replace them as nessesary, I think the fun will wear off before the motor fails though
nick_75au is offline Find More Posts by nick_75au
Old Oct 06, 2014, 12:12 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,699 Posts
Thank you for the replies.

If I place the ESC in a plastic box how well will it work w.r.t. cooling? I expect to run 400 watts.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2014, 03:02 AM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,732 Posts
Get a bigger ESC than what you need, weight is less of an issue in surface craft I've run 30 Amp escs with the motor drawing about 15 fully enclosed with no ill effects
nick_75au is offline Find More Posts by nick_75au
Old Oct 08, 2014, 01:17 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,699 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion about running a large ESC.

I'll have to do a test.
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread