HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2014, 11:02 AM
Canada, SK, Division No. 7
Joined Aug 2014
29 Posts
Question
Best choices for Canadians 2014?

Hi, I've been getting more into this hobby and want to get access to the huge variety of inexpensive parts available online.

As all Canadians know, customs fees or gratuitous shipping rates are par for the course trying to get anything across our borders... usually the USA is out due to insistence on shipping UPS for some reason...

There is a lot of stale info out there. Where are fellow Canucks ordering from this year that result in minimal fees?

Looking for motors/lipos/servos etc... also a good deal on a radio
rectifier is offline Find More Posts by rectifier
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2014, 06:32 AM
Joined Sep 2014
7 Posts
If you live near the US/Canadian boarder get aPO box in the states and have stuff shipped there
ipeifer is offline Find More Posts by ipeifer
Old Oct 13, 2014, 01:03 AM
i Like RC
Manitoba, Canada
Joined Oct 2010
183 Posts
I have been in the RC Airplane hobby for four years and have yet to find anywhere worthwhile other than my two local hobby shops. If I wait for a sale the prices are usually better than ordering on line. I live one hour from the US border and shipping stuff to a PO Box is not cheap when I consider using 2.5 hours of my time for a return trip, $30 worth of gas plus the US exchange rate.

I used to be disappointed that as a Canadian I had to pay so much more than Americans but when I look at the final outcome, my LHS is better. I just bought a new Great Planes Dirty Birdy for $220 CDN from my LHS. Tower Hobbies has it for $299 USD plus shipping, brokerage and duty. I also bought an Evolution 0.60NX for $149 CDN. Online stores are selling them for $149 USD!

The only place I order from on line is Hobby King International for Lipo batteries which is a huge saving compared to my local hobby shops.

If you don't have a hobby shop nearby there is Hobby Wholesale which at least saves you PST since they are located in Alberta. There is also Great Hobbies which has free shipping if you spend over $100 plus save on PST since they are also in Alberta. They are both in Canada but still priced higher than my two local shops.
Weekend Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Weekend Flyer
Old Oct 14, 2014, 11:27 PM
Canada, SK, Division No. 7
Joined Aug 2014
29 Posts
Used to live 30 mins from the border and bought EVERYTHING in the states and picked it up. Never paid customs.

Now I live out at the farm in the middle of nowhere, and we have no easy access to the border or to a LHS. Saskatoon hobby shop is mostly cars, not planes unfortunately.

Found Great Hobbies through a friend who bought a couple planes through them, the free shipping is really nice and the prices are pretty fair.

But the prices at HK are insanely cheap, as I have been looking at doing a medium range FPV setup with a Turnigy 9XR with OrangeRX 1W UHF module (Radio $60, module $30, receiver $20 - where are you going to find ANYTHING comparable in Canada!)

It looks like HK makes Turnigy and would be the sole supplier, but I have heard so many bad stories about their shipping - and still don't know if I would have to pay customs! How have your Lipo orders worked out?
rectifier is offline Find More Posts by rectifier
Old Nov 07, 2014, 12:06 AM
i Like RC
Manitoba, Canada
Joined Oct 2010
183 Posts
I have placed 5 orders for lipos from HK. Orders ranged from $20 to $80 and I have never paid customs or sales tax. It takes a while to get them because of the new lipo shipping laws but I can live with that.
Weekend Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Weekend Flyer