HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2014, 08:33 AM
Build, Fly, Crash, repeat
United States, NC, Shelby
Joined Nov 2010
1,667 Posts
Question
Blade SR tail wag fix??

To start off with this is my first Heli. I mostly fly planes and I do have a couple quad copters. I acquired this heli for dirt cheap (used) ($65) and is in great shape.

So to the point, I have not yet flown this heli yet as I want to read up some and get some knowledge before I go off the diving board and just fly it. From what I have read most all the SR's have a "tail wag". Is there a good fix for this? I have watched a couple videos on putting foam 'Gyro' tape instead of the factory tape. If this is the fix, any links for a different video? Or maybe just tell me how to do it?

Also, this is a RTF so it has the Tx in the box, but I have a Spektrum DX6i radio, is one just as good as the other to fly this thing with?

Like I say this is my first heli and while I probably should have started smaller, I couldnt pass up the good deal I got on this one.

Any help, tips, links is greatly appreciated
big_poppa4904 is offline Find More Posts by big_poppa4904
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2014, 09:06 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
The head design is very dated and fragile. It needs upgrades to improve handling response that are no longer available. The foam tape is an attempt to isolate the gyro from vibration, that sort of works. The gyro is very dated, so don't expect miracles. The tail motor is prone to failure and often can't keep up. It's hard to fly and only a few people find it fun. It's definitely not for beginners. You do want to use the DX6i. But, you will have to experiment with settings. They attempted to make the SR easy to fly as a first CP heli. But, they created a heli that had very poor handling and response.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Jul 16, 2014 at 09:15 AM.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 04:13 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,667 Posts
I guess hence as to why they quit making it huh? Well I got this thing cheap so if its a no-go then it can be set up for display or im sure I can get my money back.

As for the gyro tape, I have never bought that stuff so any suggestions there?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 04:51 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
I would strongly suggest getting your money back. If you have a DX6i, buy a Blade 200SRX instead. It's more expensive, but definitely worth it. As for gyro tape, you can get it at any hobby store. It's just two-sided foam tape. Just FYI, I had an SR and it required rebuilding the head with Blade CP Pro parts (long obsolete and impossible to find), different blades, some CNC head upgrades and a rewound direct drive tail, along with a lot of transmitter settings, to get it to handle decently. It still wasn't much fun to fly and broke blade holders like they were candy.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Jul 16, 2014 at 04:56 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 08:19 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,667 Posts
yea I would be sure I could resell the copter for at least what I gave for it. Not sure if I will even get into helis, was just going to try and see if it was something I liked.

I (anxiously) did try and fly it yesterday and it wanted to roll to one side. I did manage to get it up but either the trim was way off or something was not set right but it went sideways into the ground. Didn't break anything but put a rip place in the main blade covering.

I think I will wait and take it to my club field where we have 1 expert heli pilot that has a few Blade helis including the Blade 500 and Blade 700. And another guy which has this exact same heli. If they cant get it fly good then I will post it back up for sale and stick to planes.