HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

KDS Chase 360

Australian Engineering with big performance.

Splash

450 that's high voltage capable.

Australian Engineer Glen Klimpton designed this 450 sized helicopter to hit the market with a bang and brings larger helicopter technology to a back yard machine. The Chase 360 is designed to run 6s lipo and prototyping up to 12s. High center of gravity allows nimble flight, and 6s+ power is plenty from beginner to pro. The unique drive train would suit any kv motor and head speed wanted. This is possible with the 2 stage system and manages around 7:1 to 20:1 + ratios with the change of a pinions on the 2 stages. Well thought out for the demands of today's pilots. Check out these pictures.

Features

• Hollow 8mm Mainshaft
  • High CG
  • Versitle gear ratios
  • 6s lipo (Prototyping up to 12s)
  • Rigid construction to handle HV power.
  • Sleek design

For more information look here.

Last edited by ndfly700; Jul 07, 2014 at 08:07 PM..

Discussion

Old Jul 09, 2014, 04:11 PM
United States, TX, Pearland
Joined Aug 2012
31 Posts
Please keep the landing gear plastic and flexible. Carbon too boring
x5heli is offline Find More Posts by x5heli
Old Jul 09, 2014, 04:51 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Sep 2012
350 Posts
Glen is a really talented guy. I'd love one of these!!
jolyboy is offline Find More Posts by jolyboy
Old Jul 09, 2014, 07:06 PM
Flying a recreational vehicle!
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
1,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by x5heli View Post
Please keep the landing gear plastic and flexible. Carbon too boring
my RJX600 had carbon struts on landing skids. After a heavy autorotation arrival, all snapped I replaced those plates with LEXAN material from LOWE's. I like it....transfers Ferrari suspension to a mid-size work commuter...soft and spongy.

I had one strut that "sorta" survived, so I outlined it on LEXAN plate and just ground it down with a tool. best investment and cheap too

oh, and yeh...heli looks pretty. 2-stage reduction is overboard to a weekend flyer like me, but some might argue it's worth the investment...*ahem Troy* I've seen this heli somewhere else...hollow mainshaft....hmm. Look at the maingear underside...it's got sort of integrated taildrive. looks very clean. Parts probably expensive....?
Flying Pitcher is offline Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
Old Jul 09, 2014, 08:19 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,734 Posts
I'll be camping out in line to pick one up upon release. . Kudos to an awesome machine with lqqks to match.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Jul 10, 2014, 03:19 AM
Ground Repeller
Singapore
Joined Jun 2014
402 Posts
I'm guessing that it costs as much as an align, or even more. The only issue now is that I have to deal with the jump to 6s and a torque tube if there is no belt version available
ZeniethLily is offline Find More Posts by ZeniethLily
Old Jul 12, 2014, 04:25 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,297 Posts
It is being marketed with the belt tail drive. The rumored release costs are somewhere in the $260 range. Fantastic write up by the way. Kudos to the op!

I am anxious to see what Glen does with the 12s setup myself. He is truly one of the brightest guys I know in the industry. I am def in line to get one of these. I consider this the ultimate 450 on the planet right now. And everything I have been hoping for. Thanks to Glen for pushing this through and designing something so bloody incredible. All I am going to say about the prototype 12s Scorp motor is no direct gear contact 450 version out there was able to harness its power. Even dual stacked delrins were no match for it. The Chase and 12s may be the perfect match. Def an industry first as the dual stage drive is being released in a production heli. Much less seeing 12s involved at some point other than a few guys testing with it?

Cnc milled aluminum gears everywhere? Not the usual cheap non concentric plastic we currently see all over? Meaning the drive train will run quiet and true, basically vibe free. As far as belt drag goes. Most of us running dual stage belts on our larger helis use lube here, mostly wax based such as White Lighning clean ride. Drops belt friction losses and wear down to almost zero instantly with guys getting 500 or more flights on the original belts and showing virtually no wear. The Chase is a showcase for this kind of use.

The battery tray, rear entry! No need to ever remove the canopy at the field. Symmetrical servo layout that is nearly perfect. Dual control tail slider. High end bearings throughout. Not the normal supposedly abec 3 stuff we see that turns out to be abec 1 at best when explored on other kits. Rigid frame design yet light.

Also, look even into the canopy design? Hopefully Kds produces this one, even as an upgrade? A channel running air up into the forward mount top mount motor? Nothing on this design is here without some serious thought or purpose behind it. Looks cool on top of it all. Best looking 450 I have seen outside a couple one off prototypes. I have never been excited about any new 450, I always am thinking to myself, ok what am I going to have to address here? This one hits all the right notes. And one I am really excited to get my hands on.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Last edited by Luvmyhelis; Jul 12, 2014 at 04:44 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 06:07 PM
Super Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
1,929 Posts
Looks interesting but those "DFC" links doesn't seem to have any thought behind the design...

KDS even released a non DFC system for their Agiles which basically says they acknowledge the inherent errors in that system. Avant was smart enough to redesign their DFC head option to make it more like the Compass system. This one looks like a step backwards IMO...should've made the links flexible like on the Forza 450.

TheKingPhisher is offline Find More Posts by TheKingPhisher
Last edited by TheKingPhisher; Jul 12, 2014 at 07:08 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 08:30 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,297 Posts
Good observation, but, there was actually a ton of design work and thought put into the head. Understand, Kds was involved here also and they had say so in how the final concept actually hit the pavement, and with what. In many ways there is always a trade off between the original design and production groups. I will leave it at that.
I know beyond any shadow of a doubt the DFC concept was discussed in great detail during the design phase by some seriously brilliant people.
But, I haven't had the new heli in my hands yet to actually tear into the Dfc? Seems to fly ok though in the hands of some brutal test piloting. Quite a few people were critics of the early prototype Warp DFC head design when they first hit. When I integrated in turnbuckles the Warp head was superb. And handled stresses of running heavy 420mm MsComposites at 32 and 3600 without failure for two full seasons. Compass's early design on the Trac X ( I still have one of the first ones made, oddly just rebuilt it last night. Weird timing in light of this discussion) has really set the bar for all head design work since then. Their design really led to the industry embracing the Dfc design as a whole.
Forza did nothing new, just effectively pirated the Compass TracX concept. Which on larger helis having some form of grip arm flex seems to be critical. But in smaller helis this hasn't proven to be the case. I do have a couple close friends flying DFC equipped highly modded 450s that fly superbly. Admittedly it took some work to get them there.
Last edited by Luvmyhelis; Jul 13, 2014 at 09:58 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 01:15 PM
Gaui X3, RTF Mini Quad
United States, MO, KC
Joined Jun 2011
3,623 Posts
give me. now.
BladeScraper is offline Find More Posts by BladeScraper
Old Jul 14, 2014, 01:18 PM
Gaui X3, RTF Mini Quad
United States, MO, KC
Joined Jun 2011
3,623 Posts
PROTOTYPING UP to 12S??? Holy crap
Old Jul 14, 2014, 08:35 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeScraper View Post
PROTOTYPING UP to 12S??? Holy crap
The 12s motor is a total monster too! In testing stages not a single direct pinion to gear drive unit could handle the amount of torque it was producing. At least not under the test stresses we put it through. This will eventually hit the market much as 6s did a few years back. Lots of bench experts claiming it has no advantages. And guys flying with it going OMG!
The only thing I did run into was difficulty's in getting esc's that could actually handle the phasing speeds the new stator/mag design needs to run correctly. And the motor ran pretty warm at times. I ended up placing it in a frame in the exact same position as Glen has the motor in the Chase to help keep things cool.

In the hands of Glen, one of the truly most gifted guys I have ever met. I eagerly await his final word on it.

Here are a few pics of the actual prototype motor.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 07:46 PM
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
140 Posts
I love the features of this heli, it may just convince me to buy another 450.
Hopefully it won't be plagued with early release problems like some of the other new releases. I'm not sure I can wait it out for them to get sorted though!
pete914 is offline Find More Posts by pete914
Old Jul 22, 2014, 09:27 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,297 Posts
So far the only failure in testing was the TT system Kds wanted over the belt. Since then tests are going quite well. Some pretty rad 3d vids are out now with this heli being punished and no problems reported. I am def in line for one. I had given up on the entire 450 class until now.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 01:43 AM
Gaui X3, RTF Mini Quad
United States, MO, KC
Joined Jun 2011
3,623 Posts