HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2014, 08:23 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpo View Post
Just to be 100% clear.... the Sketchup file posted and the "CPO_Tricopter.zip" is not from me. It was something someone else drafted up and shared with us. It's pretty cool...but it's not exactly my build. There were some modifications made to it, and it was tweaked to use different sized booms, etc.

If you want a DXF..I already have the body panels in that format on my website (or linked in the first post of this thread). http://everythingcpo.com/cpo-135-tricopter/

If you are using the sketchup version that was posted, I cannot make any guarantees it will be compatible with my video instructions.
Well, there you go! When I make an assumption I make an ass out of me! And certainly not out of you. Thanks for straightening me out on that!

I am trying to give my son a *.dxf file with just the cutting vectors in it and am also on a learning curve as far as what his machine needs for an input and what he has to do to process the *.dxf file to do the cutting. I know he uses Corel Draw to make the file that will do the actual cutting.

So I'm not going to pay any more attention to anything but your *.dxf file for now.

And when I get it done, I'll let you and the forum know how it worked out. As it stands now, if it goes as I think it should, I'll be able to cut two sets of plates from a 12" x 12" sheet of G10.

Thanks again,

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2014, 08:27 AM
cpo
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Dec 2012
1,018 Posts
If he does a good job... Let me know I would be interested in getting a g10 version made up. Actually, if you haven't ordered your panels yet... Maybe we should talk before that.
cpo is offline Find More Posts by cpo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CPO's FPV 250 Racing Quad
Old Mar 07, 2014, 08:58 AM
I'm Tri'n, are you Tri'n?
United States, WA, Pullman
Joined Sep 2013
573 Posts
Same here Jack, I would love to get those panels in G 10 also..
Baddmove is offline Find More Posts by Baddmove
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2014, 09:06 AM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Mar 2011
1,614 Posts
If you want to forgo cutting G10 plates, you can order rcexplorer's. They are $20+shipping.
Cyberdactyl is offline Find More Posts by Cyberdactyl
Old Mar 07, 2014, 09:27 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,215 Posts
Quote:
If he does a good job... Let me know I would be interested in getting a g10 version made up. Actually, if you haven't ordered your panels yet... Maybe we should talk before that.
I have enough of the material to make several sets now. And the people I bought it from generously sent me so more of it in thicker selections to contribute to my experimentation. The company is here:

http://www.norvaplastics.com/index.asp

And I bought the 12" x12" x 0.0625" from their eBay store:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G10-Phenolic...-/191066859092

Nice looking stuff and a pleasant and prompt company to deal with.

I'll keep you guys posted...

Jack
Old Mar 07, 2014, 09:29 AM
cpo
Joined Dec 2012
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdactyl View Post
If you want to forgo cutting G10 plates, you can order rcexplorer's. They are $20+shipping.
That's a different tricopter. Wouldn't help us much.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2014, 09:41 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,215 Posts
Those plates are smaller. They are the plate design used on the RC Explorer V2.5 tricopter. I have a set of those and they are fine. That tricopter is another of the great ones I think and has brought a lot of people into the hobby.

I think if I were going to make some of those I would make the "coffin style" version of the RC Explorer plates as those are stronger (all straight line cuts, more clamping area, more surface area for mounting bits and pieces). The 1.5mm G10 is 0.059" compared to the 0.625" for the 1/16" material.

I think the 1/16" material is more than strong enough. Particularly so when through-bolted with 3mm machine screws and if you place flat washers under the screw heads and nuts.

Jack
Old Mar 07, 2014, 10:31 AM
Canada, BC, Whistler
Joined Jan 2005
37 Posts
Quote:
I don't remember off the top of my head...70mm wide by...however long the body was. I think I called out the values in the video for the battery tray. I just don't have an opportunity to look at it right now. Someone else may remember tho...
Thanks for your (and everyone else's) response, I thought they may be written down somewhere and I overlooked, I'll have to pay more attention to the videos now.

I'm waiting on my motors and some cabling to arrive but your videos and walkthrough have pushed me to attempt the tricopter - my first big multicopter build. Having only had a bit of practice with an MQX quad.
Stickeh is offline Find More Posts by Stickeh
Old Mar 07, 2014, 10:41 AM
cpo
Joined Dec 2012
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickeh View Post
Thanks for your (and everyone else's) response, I thought they may be written down somewhere and I overlooked, I'll have to pay more attention to the videos now.

I'm waiting on my motors and some cabling to arrive but your videos and walkthrough have pushed me to attempt the tricopter - my first big multicopter build. Having only had a bit of practice with an MQX quad.

I just looked at the video and it is 50mm by 240mm. I still think that's a good size. I see lots of versions that are a little more complicated in shape. Mine is literally a rectangle...and it works perfect.

Battery tray starts at around 8:48

CPO Tricopter Build : Prototyping, Assembly, and Vibration Dampening Camera Tray (14 min 1 sec)

I will say, my next version will use small zip ties to hold the large zip ties to the tray. I have been wanting to fix it for a while, but have been busy on other projects. The initial design works great, but doesn't allow the battery to lay perfectly flat on the tray.

Here is the design I was planning to use...and thankfully someone has tried it out before I did and posted a pic. I think this is the way to go. You'll note it still has the tension of the curved large zip ties. When you add velcro to the top those little zip ties will not be in the way at all.

http://everythingcpo.com/cpo/user-su...nti-vibe-tray/
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2014, 10:46 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickeh View Post

That image I posted is not CPO's take on the camera/battery plate, I've since learned that the SketchUp drawing that plate came from was posted by one of the other builders here. It'll probably work of course but there are some much simpler approaches.

Jack
Old Mar 07, 2014, 04:55 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Joined Mar 2011
1,614 Posts
I finally discovered after a year of mounting and dismounting the undercarriage with bolts was a major pain.
Old Mar 07, 2014, 05:07 PM
cpo
Joined Dec 2012
1,018 Posts
Interesting. No need to remove the battery tray on this design...if you want to play around without the camera...just remove the camera. The design of the tray has no real added weight. While it seems like the quick release method solved your problem with your quad...I'm just not sure how it applies here... Maybe I am missing something.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2014, 11:58 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Joined Mar 2011
1,614 Posts
Every gram ...less... helps when you want to 'play'.

When shooting video... 30... 60... 200 grams of redundant mass isn't a big deal.

As a matter of fact, having a tad of excess mass on the platform helps.
Last edited by Cyberdactyl; Mar 08, 2014 at 12:32 AM.
Old Mar 08, 2014, 08:28 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,215 Posts
Dang! A hand toss launch!? And tri's can be fully aerobatic?

I didn't know that. And it looks like none of those trees are the least bit aircraft magnetic too. How "lucky" can you get. Or maybe it is piloting skills?

Jack
Old Mar 08, 2014, 11:39 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,215 Posts
So here is the image of the plate and an image of the layout for cutting four plates from the 12" x 12" G10.

@CPO - Do you think it would be a good idea to cut some holes for routing wires?

The SketchUp drawing had two 12.7mm holes up on the front end and a single 10mm hole on the bottom plate, back in front of where the end of the yaw boom would be.

I assume that those would made for easier/better routing of leads to the ESCs and for bringing the ESC and battery leads together.

Jack