HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2014, 01:41 AM
United States, IN, Grabill
Joined May 2004
1,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Gardner View Post
Ed that would be a project for sure and a fun plane to own. I have never owned a plane but floan many of the older ones including the Baby Ace EAA plane which I did the major work on in Aircraft School and a couple of my uncles creations, also EAA planes. Those were the good old days and they are long gone.

May be part of the reason I like to alter an RC plane, I like the creating part of it.

Leroy
I just bought a Baby Ace 1/4 scale kit from a guy here on RCG, going to pick it up this week!
Not to take away from your thread, but you guys should go down the thread list here on "giant planes" and take a look at the 28% Jenny build!
Once again we find a "master craftsman" at work!

Take a look at the detail, you'd swear you're looking at a full scale Curtiss Jenny

Who knows, maybe this guy has a full scale aircraft shrinking machine!
ErcoupeEd is offline Find More Posts by ErcoupeEd
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2014, 09:59 AM
United States, NY, Westhampton Beach
Joined Nov 2006
57 Posts
Leroy, just how is the Tiger with the DLE doing?
Getting ready to build mine and want to use the same power.

Thanks
Bill S.
Twin_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Twin_Flyer
Old Apr 29, 2014, 02:22 PM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
777 Posts
Ed I think it's called pro scale when you take on a project like the Jenny, the technical ability displayed there is way beyond all the skills I have and I really admire those that do it. Anyone who sees that build will probably admit it's beyond their skills but at the same time should realize that they can build a nice looking plane if they take the time, have patience and just do it. There are learning curves to all of this and some take on builds that they are not ready for, I know a few.

That is where these threads come in. there is much you can learn and don't be afraid to ask questions. Study your manuals and plans before you start a build and if there is something you don't understand get the information you need before you do anything. Most of this is to those that want to move on in their building and are not sure how far to go so stay in your comfort zone the skills will come.

The Baby ace is a fun build and that plane really flies nice, at 1/4 scale a 30 CC would be a good one for it.

Leroy
Leroy Gardner is offline Find More Posts by Leroy Gardner
Old Apr 29, 2014, 02:37 PM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
777 Posts
Bill The 20cc is a fine engine for many 60 size planes, the Tiger is tail heavy for one thing and I don't care for nitro much any more, you just end up adding weight anyway. Mine will land at idle, it floats real nice and has no bad habits even with all the changes I made to it. There will need to be some changes up front if you invert the engine and cowl it, you can see my build site, may help you figure how to do yours if your not sure. www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1786693

Leroy
Old Apr 30, 2014, 01:58 AM
United States, IN, Grabill
Joined May 2004
1,523 Posts
Well I am an EAA member and a member of the VAA division and a Baby Ace is what got the EAA started, and it's always been on my "want to build list" and I finally found one!

Over the past 20 years , oyur group in the vAA worked closely with Paul Poberezny, and our VAA chapter 37 at KGWB, Auburn Indiana wa seected by Paul to restore a 1941 Monocoupe known as "Little Mulligan"

We finished it at Auburn in our hangar and it now is stored at Oshkosh awaiting a place in the EAA museum
Little Mulligan was owned and flown by Harold Nueman, a well known racing and aerobatic pilot from the 1930's and 40's.

I also have an IkonNwst kit I plan on replicating "Little Mulligan"

Little Mulligan carried the famous number n"40" on it's fuselage that MIster Mulligan carried when Harold raced it at Cleveland in 1935 and won the Thompson Trophy race after Roscoe Turner dropped out with engine problems.

Little Mulligan was one of the very last Monocoupes built prior to World War Two as it was finished on December 4th 1941
ErcoupeEd is offline Find More Posts by ErcoupeEd
Old Apr 30, 2014, 10:50 AM
Native American
Joined May 2010
429 Posts
Really nice work, love the color scheme. Thanks for going to the trouble to post your build!!!
BE77 Pilot is offline Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Old Apr 30, 2014, 01:10 PM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
777 Posts
Ed you talking about the EAA reminds me of the days when I spent vacations in Seattle building fuselages,gear and engine mounts for my uncles EAA creations which were many, his name was Ed also. Those were kind of the hey days of my early aircraft life. Ed was a Boeing inspector on the B-52's and had privey to the wind tunnel to test his models before they were built full size. I learned a great deal from that genius of a man, was a great loss when he passed away.

Leroy
Old May 29, 2014, 10:01 PM
Joined Apr 2014
56 Posts
Incredible job! Fabulous craftsmanship and great colors.
jjstanley is offline Find More Posts by jjstanley
Old May 29, 2014, 10:21 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,086 Posts
Beautiful work Leroy.
And for the record you did not bash a kit, you modified a kit to fit you.
ace4rc is offline Find More Posts by ace4rc
Old May 30, 2014, 07:42 PM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
777 Posts
Thanks Robert and I hate that word bash it does no justice to what I did to my SW. I think most kit builders don't realize how much altering and tweeking goes into the developing of a kit in the first place. You can undo a number of those things while bashing or you can enhance the look and control features without changing the good flight characteristics of your kit.

I encourage any one to spruce your build up for looks if for no other reason but stick to the basic plan so you don't lose the flight quality that is laid out in them plans.

Leroy
Old May 30, 2014, 09:01 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,086 Posts
Every time I hear that term it reminds me of a time I bashed a kit, with both feet, into a pile of what it was.
ace4rc is offline Find More Posts by ace4rc
Old May 31, 2014, 01:35 AM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace4rc View Post
Every time I hear that term it reminds me of a time I bashed a kit, with both feet, into a pile of what it was.
Robert thats funny but your probably one of the guys that could actually make a plane from a box of crap that would fly.

Actually you, me, Vincent and some others are in a class that is so individulized we don't compare ourselves to others because our planes are a part of who and what we are, it's hard to teach that to others. Might be why so many threads have many viewers and so few responders and they really have nothing to add about the builds for the most part they just want to see what we do next.

When I decided to do the build here and the U I just wanted to show how easy it is to do the things I did to my plane and make something special of it and I think I did that. We are losing numbers of builders and gaining a small crop of new guys, they may be the ones in the back ground (peepers some say) gathering it all in and we may just be models for them to follow, at least thats my hope.

It's flying season now, many of the builds are on hold or at a snails pace so have a great flying season and when winter rolls around lets build some more planes and finish up those on the bench.

Leroy
Old Jun 01, 2014, 09:22 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Gardner View Post
Robert thats funny but your probably one of the guys that could actually make a plane from a box of crap that would fly.

Actually you, me, Vincent and some others are in a class that is so individulized we don't compare ourselves to others because our planes are a part of who and what we are, it's hard to teach that to others. Might be why so many threads have many viewers and so few responders and they really have nothing to add about the builds for the most part they just want to see what we do next.

When I decided to do the build here and the U I just wanted to show how easy it is to do the things I did to my plane and make something special of it and I think I did that. We are losing numbers of builders and gaining a small crop of new guys, they may be the ones in the back ground (peepers some say) gathering it all in and we may just be models for them to follow, at least thats my hope.

It's flying season now, many of the builds are on hold or at a snails pace so have a great flying season and when winter rolls around lets build some more planes and finish up those on the bench.

Leroy
I am pretty certain my building skills will never match those of Leroy, Tom, Robert, Earl and many of those on RCG and RCU. I do know I have improved my skills by following the build threads on both sites. There are so many good tips that there is no possible way to remember them all.

I admit to lurking on many threads trying to soak up all the good stuff. I want to thank all those that take the time to post their builds so the lesser of us can improve our building skills.

Ken

As to "kit bashing"...... Bashing, IMO, is when the airframe meets the Earth at an unchosen time
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497