SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by timwj1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 04:17 PM
I want just one more plane!
United States, ID, Idaho Falls
Joined Feb 2013
592 Posts
Trader Rating: 96
Electrifly Super Steerman

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../gpma1150.html

Yesterday I purchased this plane on a spur of the moment thing without doing any homework about it first. I am not sure where this is for an intermediate to advance flyer if I am ready for a plane this responsive yet, since I'm less than a year into this hobby.
My question is rather or not someone may have a NIB sport plane from a major vendor that may be interested in making a trade? I am divided at this point if I want to build it once it arrives or leave it packaged and trade it for something a little more gentle.
Please let me know your thoughts and thanks, I hope this request is within guidelines of this site.

Tim
timwj1 is offline Find More Posts by timwj1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2013, 05:56 PM
Krued Up
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Jul 2004
4,556 Posts
Trader Rating: 363
Tim I understand your dilemma. Now this plane is just airframe right?
I would be willing to trade you for a 1 mo old mini ultra stik.
Airframe for airframe plus servos
Let me know
Angel
snolord1 is offline Find More Posts by snolord1
Old Jun 20, 2013, 06:08 PM
Joined Feb 2013
592 Posts
Yes, although I did order the parts to complete this project. Unfortunately I already own a MUS that I dearly love.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 09:46 PM
Krued Up
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Jul 2004
4,556 Posts
Trader Rating: 363
k gotcha thought id ask
snolord1 is offline Find More Posts by snolord1
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:16 PM
United States, ID, Spirit Lake
Joined Feb 2013
90 Posts
Trader Rating: 58
Maybe just send it back to Tower?

Tower Hobbies has a crazy good return program on unused stuff. The return label will even be in the box with your plane when it arrives.

You'll have to pay shipping to get it back but you'd have to pay one way shipping in a trade too.

Just a thought...
jl33fr33 is offline Find More Posts by jl33fr33
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:08 PM
Joined Feb 2013
592 Posts
Thanks my northern friend. I found this on ebay yesterday, thats why I had to pull the trigger as time was running out. I had been looking at it in my latest Tower Hobby catalog and wanted it the minute I seen it but I have one new build I haven't even maidened yet, so I decided to hold off... so much for holding off...lol
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:38 PM
Joined Feb 2013
90 Posts
And I ALMOST qualified my post with IF you bought it from Tower

I checked out the specs at tower and I don't think it's too much for a one year pilot. Low rates and 1/2 to 2/3 throttle and I bet it's pretty tame. Having been a new pilot not that long ago, I can say that we are always ready for more that we think (though maybe not much more). The path from brain to hands is laid, there's just this roadblock called nerves!

It is a really nice looking plane. If I may ask what kinda deal did you score on it? I seriously have a problem with deals, very trigger happy you could say.

Jason
Old Jun 21, 2013, 12:02 AM
Joined Feb 2013
592 Posts
My major concern with the plane is it calls for a .10 Rimfire motor which is huge for that small of a plane, makes take offs kinda tricky. The reviewers say give it full throttle and commit to the take off, I'm not sure why, I'd want to easy the throttle into it to build up some speed to offset the instant torque. I'd just hate to crash it on its first takeoff...lol I go the plane for a little better price than from Tower Hobby if I got the free shipping and used my coupon.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 12:14 AM
DR RC#1
chatom alabama
Joined Dec 2010
210 Posts
Trader Rating: 89
man that plane is sweet and will b real easy to fly and I think if u like sport planes this plane will kick it for you and u will enjoy it more than u think and yes they are fast to take off and fast landers but as long as u have good open runway space u should b fine once in the air it will b a nice flyer and very stable
dr rc is offline Find More Posts by dr rc
Old Jun 21, 2013, 12:16 AM
Joined Feb 2013
592 Posts
I purchased an HK NTM .10 1100kv motor for it, which is 150kv slower than the recommended rimfire. It is a bit heavier so that concerns me, and I'm starting to think a Park 480 would have been a better choice.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 12:20 AM
Joined Feb 2013
592 Posts
Thanks Dr Rc. I think that is one awesome looking plane, and I thought it would look good just hanging in my hangar for a while till I get the balls to fly it. lol I'm torn on what to do, and I'll probably not be able to stop myself from opening it up once it arrives and starting the build. I do have a paved runway at my club, its not very long though, I have a hard time getting stopped before I run out of runway on my bigger planes, I'm sure this smaller one will be fine though, I fly a mini ultra stick and mini pulse with half that runway. I am just getting into the sports planes and finding they make the blood pump and my right thumb shake whenever I am getting ready to fly! I don't dare check my blood pressure at those points... ha ha
Old Jun 21, 2013, 12:46 AM
Joined Feb 2013
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timwj1 View Post
I'll probably not be able to stop myself from opening it up once it arrives and starting the build.
Maybe it's an Idaho thing.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 07:40 PM
United States, OH, Powell
Joined Sep 2012
489 Posts
Trader Rating: 12
If you can handle your MUS, and i mean you fly it and it doesnt fly you, honestly you can fly anything! the MUS is a great pilots plane as it only messes up when you do.. the steerman 'should' be easier to fly. just mind the stall tendencies, as with any new plane.
fpvbasher is offline Find More Posts by fpvbasher
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:11 PM
Joined Feb 2013
592 Posts
Thanks FPV, it took me a few tried before I got comfortable with the MUS, but now it is probably my 2nd favorite plane, even in winds it does well and it is defintely my most acrobatic plane. I have a mini pulse too that I like but not as well as the MUS. My favorite plane is a Schulman Aviation Super Cessna, I like the speed and the larger size, but I usually have both with me when I fly. I think I've almost talked myself into keeping the bi-plane, I think I'd regret selling it and just buy another one again.
Closed Thread