HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:45 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,607 Posts
Discussion
F-9F Cougar?

Anyone building the ET F-9F Cougar? This one is listed as EDF or turbine. A 120mm size jet, 64" wing span. With the wing plan form it must have a heck of a lot of wing area. This thing is bigger than my TJ A-4 Skyhawk. I saw a thread on it at RCU a while back and I was not able to find it recently. Some bugs on that site, maybe it was lost in some of the electronic shuffle.

Anyone building this one or have seen it in person? I've always liked the Cougar. I'm surprised I haven't seen seen much info on this one. From what I know of people who have made the F9-F, the Cougar is actually a very nice flying variant of the Panther. The swept wing gives it a nice presence.

http://easytigermodels.com/index.php...roducts_id=355

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_F-9_Cougar
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:53 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,814 Posts
yes, the cougar has WAY more wing area than the panther, the full scale was also stretched some in length as well. my jhh cougar flew freakin awesome. id love to build another some day. the ET cougar looked ok, just not scale enough for me, especially for the price. im not sure whats so hard about making a scale molded model lol. making a poorly shpaed model is just as hard as making a scale one lol
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:56 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,607 Posts
Thanks Nut. What do you think is not scale about it? I can;t seem to find any pics of it outside of what's on ET's site, I wish I could find more. I know there are a couple builds out there, but they are by guys who don't "build and fly on line" if you know what I mean. No pics. I was not so sure about the canopy frames myself but I was thinking the canopy lines can be easily scaled with some paint addition and the rest of it looks like it would qualify for a good scale-ish F-9F - close enough to be good enough if the price were right. (I was not thinking it was too much but maybe I'm not dialed in?)

At the end of the day I think this one would cost a lot less as a turbine. You can pick up a used P-60 or Wren 54 for nothin' these days and jet fuel is essentially coffee money with these motors compared to batteries and ESC's.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:50 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2012
51 Posts
I'm pretty sure well maybe sure that the EasyTiger one is made by TB Models in China. Here is a link to their website, not much info or photos their either. I'm currently waiting on a response from TB, how much for Cougar and what is the cost to ship to Australia? Their Panther, Viper, and Mig 15 also look familair.

http://www.tbmodel.com/productlist.asp?smallid=9
Herby_007 is offline Find More Posts by Herby_007
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:22 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,814 Posts
eddie, like you said, it could be made to look decent with some mods, i even looked at it heavily, thinking of what could be done to make it look nicer.

yeah, turbine would be the way to go. one of these days, ill get there...
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:22 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby_007 View Post
I'm pretty sure well maybe sure that the EasyTiger one is made by TB Models in China. Here is a link to their website, not much info or photos their either. I'm currently waiting on a response from TB, how much for Cougar and what is the cost to ship to Australia? Their Panther, Viper, and Mig 15 also look familair.

http://www.tbmodel.com/productlist.asp?smallid=9
I wonder. The dimensions don't match though. The one direct from China shows about 5 inches smaller wing span. Should read 1625mm wing span vs. 1512mm. Of course I'm going off the ET web site, where it shows the dimensions of his F9F as 64" / 1625mm for wing span.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
yeah, turbine would be the way to go. one of these days, ill get there...
Yeah... as much as turbine is still superior for fighters in my opinion, I still love EDF and for me I have a good reason to stay in the EDF game as in the summer there are times I do not fly turbine due to fire risk.
RCG Plus Member