SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 02, 2010, 10:39 AM
Timelord
USA, IN, Muncie
Joined Mar 2002
2,412 Posts
I stopped over at Jack's yesterday and he was building one for someone! Thinking of putting ski's on the review plane for Winter.
Doctor Who is offline Find More Posts by Doctor Who
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2010, 12:05 PM
Joined Feb 2010
341 Posts
Dare I wish it would be mine? Hehehehe no matter, I was thinking about skis too, it's the perfect candidate, plastic dubros come to mind if they still make them.
Magnumb is offline Find More Posts by Magnumb
Old Oct 02, 2010, 06:13 PM
Joined Feb 2010
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Who View Post
I stopped over at Jack's yesterday and he was building one for someone! Thinking of putting ski's on the review plane for Winter.
How has the yellow color been? You like it still? How about vs the orange? Just curious
Old Oct 04, 2010, 02:53 PM
Joined Feb 2010
341 Posts
Sorry, just a bump, but also just wanted to see your thoughts on color! How do you like yellow?
Old Oct 04, 2010, 08:03 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,117 Posts
Magnumb,
You will love the color. I have other colors, yellow would be cool.
Jack is a master at building Flutter-By's.

You all know that you could make skis out of foam board and some CF and not add much weight to the Flutter-By. I plan to do that this winter. Flutter-By in the snow, what a hoot.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Oct 05, 2010, 12:08 AM
Joined Feb 2010
341 Posts
I need to see a vid of your flutter-duck. I have looked at enough pictures ;o)

So do you find hover to vertical acceleration good with your flutter-by's ??

I should be first at my local indoor with this. I will be curious to see how many people will "get it". But if this flys half as good as I think it will it will be twice as good as what people expect......hehehehe....see what I did there....ok bad but still true.
Old Oct 05, 2010, 09:37 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,117 Posts
Magnumb,
I wish I could accomidate you with a vid of the Flutter-Duck, but I don't have a video camera, then I don't know how to upload it, or how to edit it. So I am sorry.

My Flutter-Bys will go straight up with full throttle. I usually just harrier it, then up and away. I can fly my Flutter-Bys in a small grade school gym. I call them "cracker box" gyms. The bigger high school gym is a breeze.

The Flutter-Duck is made for calm winds. It is a very interesting airframe and I don't want to hurt it. I have about 5 flights on it. Each one was not easy, but the important factor was I didn't hurt it.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2010, 10:08 PM
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Feb 2005
269 Posts
Adding to my collection!

Just back from a week of Flutter-By flying in Muncie with the designer/builder, Jack Frost, and Bob Glasa from Champaign, IL. As always, we had a blast! Thanks to Jack, I am now the proud owner of my first Mini Flutter-By! My grandkids smiled from ear to ear when I arrived back in NC with it. They said it was their size! I have already had a years worth of fun with it, in just a little over two weeks!
LtColBryan is offline Find More Posts by LtColBryan
Old Oct 05, 2010, 10:28 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,117 Posts
I want an IMAC one. Now that would turn some heads.
LtColBryan you now got a whole bunch of Flutter-Bys. I am sure that you, Jack and Bob had a blast. Those are two of the funnest guys to fly with. They love to have fun.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2010, 11:03 PM
Joined Feb 2010
341 Posts
Jelous....I would love to havebeen there flying with you guys (not that I was invited) but I am sure it was a blast.

Can't wait to get mine!
Old Oct 07, 2010, 08:12 PM
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Feb 2005
269 Posts
Magnumb, as any of the folks that know Jack will tell you, he's one of the finest folks you'll ever meet. He loves meeting new people, as well as flying and sharing the hobby he loves with others. If you're ever lucky enough to go to Muncie, Indiana, e-mail Jack before you go and I know he would be glad to show you around Muncie, as well as get in some great flying with you. So... consider yourself invited, per Jack Frost!
LtColBryan is offline Find More Posts by LtColBryan
Old Oct 07, 2010, 08:32 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,117 Posts
++2 on that one LtColBryan. Jack has an amazing knowledge of flying and loves have fun and fly with others.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2010, 09:20 PM
Joined Feb 2010
341 Posts
I hear you guys. He sounds like a great guy and is passionate about flight! Who better to build you a plane. I will post vids/pics when I get it. Simply can't wait! I would love to make it to one of the big US events. I will certainly try when my son gets bigger!

If you guys have more stories etc about this plane please post them. It's keeping me going until I get mine.
Old Oct 07, 2010, 11:27 PM
Joined Jan 2010
88 Posts
Well, OK, if you want another FlutterBy story...........try this one, it's True.

Tonight I took the FlutterBy out to a local park - I'd flown there many times before, but not recently - and was having a terrific time in almost perfect conditions. My wife and Grandson (18 months - also named "Jack"!) were with me and all was right with the world. Grandson even had his own transmitter and was "learning" how to fly the FlutterBy (see pictures........no worries, his transmitter is inoperable.....but you should see him on the Flight Simulator!)

In any event, we were all alone having a great time when a whole lot of people started showing up........all boys about 11 years old. With our eyes on the sky, we weren't too quick to pick up on the fact that a PeeWee Football team was gathering for practice. At any rate, it was soon clear that we had chosen "their spot" as a place to fly and that they were going to practice right there regardless of what I was already doing.

Well, I didn't want to get into anything that would ruin the good vibe of the evening, so I just walked away - while flying - to a less dense area. Having left their craziness behind me, so to speak, I set about regaining the peacefulness that I'd been enjoying before their arrival.

So, you might understand that I was just a bit curious when one of the coaches walked on over to me and said he wanted to ask me a question. And I was kind of pissed when he asked his question, "Would I please quit flying the plane"? And then - just before I started in on an explanation of the fact that the park was big enough for everyone - I got the payoff...............Coach said he "couldn't get any of the kids to listen or pay attention during the drills as they were all watching the FlutterBy"

Priceless.
bglasa is offline Find More Posts by bglasa
Old Oct 08, 2010, 02:24 PM
Joined Feb 2010
341 Posts
That is just awesome! Too funny. Cute grandson, my boy has been ripping it up on the simulator too (4 years) fun to see him even make "accidental" landings.

Great story, appreciate the post for sure.

I am curious to know how many flutter-by's are out there. My wife has taken to calling it the flutter-buy since I ordered one. Subtle but cute ;o)