SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:28 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Dec 2007
49 Posts
Help!
interesting servo problem

i was flying my merlin today and came across an interesting problem. upon plugging up a newly charged battery (i tried three), the rudder and aileron channel don't work at all, nor do they make noise. i tried swapping stuff around to no avail. i put pressure on the link, and then it work the whole time until i change the battery out. i can provide a video if this does not make sense. it is 100 percent repeatable. the "stuff' is:

merlin
ar6100e receiver
hs-55b sservos new 3s 480a batteries
dx7 transmitter

thanks for any help!
anathemapth is offline Find More Posts by anathemapth
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2010, 06:46 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,588 Posts
Maybe the connection is not 100% good and the action of disconnecting the battery also affects the servo until you plug in a new battery then you need to check you servo connection.

You should take care of this problem before anymore flights as it would not be good to lose servo control in mid air.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Apr 19, 2010, 07:16 AM
electromaniac
pittsburgh
Joined Oct 2004
606 Posts
check to make shure that the servo wirers arent backing out of the littel plugs. Sometimes the plastic clip that holds the wirers in the plug go bad and will let it back out when you plug them in giving a bad connection
elcamino is offline Find More Posts by elcamino
Old Apr 19, 2010, 08:36 AM
Frequent Flyer
Orleans, MA
Joined Feb 2007
2,100 Posts
I'd measure the voltage on the receiver when you first plug in. Perhaps it's not getting enough from the BEC causing the erratic performance. Try a separate 4.8 volt receiver battery and see if you can repeat the fault. As above, I wouldn't attempt another flight until you track this problem down. Good luck with the trouble shooting.
whitecrest is offline Find More Posts by whitecrest
Old Apr 20, 2010, 08:41 PM
Suspended Account
ohio
Joined Jan 2010
472 Posts
its a connection problem......likely to the reciever.....try an extension cord....see if it goes away.....i had the same isue with a brand new reciever and brand new lipo......loose connection......i used an extension cord....it worked fine.....so then i used a locking clip to secure them......i have never had this trouble with any futaba plugs.....only hyperion......they seem to lack in quality of the connectors....and i also made sure i taped them up real good even if i used a locking clip.....too bad we all cant just buy stuff standardized.....this is the problem with stuff made in china.....
ed1978 is offline Find More Posts by ed1978
Old Apr 21, 2010, 12:39 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Dec 2007
49 Posts
I tried all this and no dice. Thanks for the attempts. I will post a video later. Maybe I am not explaining it too well.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 02:28 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Dec 2007
49 Posts
Video

Here is what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEEuKK-uIVw
Old Apr 22, 2010, 03:03 AM
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Oct 2009
824 Posts
stripped servo gears?
unialfred is offline Find More Posts by unialfred
Old Apr 26, 2010, 11:25 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Dec 2007
49 Posts
Unfortunately I don't think the gears are stripped. They move with no chatter. Plus it would be two on the same plane
Old Apr 26, 2010, 11:52 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
I'll venture a guess..
Make sure that the control rods are not binding at all and move very free and easy.
Also bend the control surface hinges back and forth until they move easy.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Apr 27, 2010, 06:52 AM
AMA #953123
Eugene, ORYGUN
Joined Mar 2009
2,203 Posts
That is just strange. Call Ghost Hunters, I think it haunted.
VROOMSTER is offline Find More Posts by VROOMSTER