HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 09:58 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friesianflyer View Post
Hi everyone, just setting up my penguin with osd pro, and am getting horizontal lines where the text is displayed? It is obviously coming from the osd, as I have tried bypassing it and the video signal is clear. Has anyone seen similar, or am I being picky :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloner View Post
try turning down the white level
& turn up black level.

These levels are found in the menu...
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2013, 03:13 PM
Prof 40, EZG, Extra 330 L
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Jan 2010
37 Posts
OSD not connected message on the PC

Hi,
I have slowly been accumulating ET hardware for my FPV project & recently have everything I need to get started. But I'm running into some issues with the OSD.

I plugged in my OSD Pro which is connected with the right polarity to the elogger V4(which is also connected to a GPS) using a mini usb cable to the PC (no other hw is connected to the ET system). I see under fw control that the elogger is detected, but I dont see the OSD as detected. The led on the elogger seems fine (3 blink loop) & the the led on the GPD lights up too. Do I need to power the OSD pro separately for it to show upon the PC? When I try to configure parameters to show up on the OSD, it says initializing & then OSD board is not detected

Another thing I tried was connecting a battery to the eloger & OSD to a camera. On the Video out I see the ET systems banner & no receiver detected. So the OSD works but doesnt want to get detected on the PC.

Any help will be appreciated.

PS:I've owned a remzibi OSD on my previos FPV system & none of the stuff in the ET system is reused.
Thanks
Suresh
suri0712 is offline Find More Posts by suri0712
Old Mar 15, 2013, 05:20 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
Hi Suresh,

Sorry to hear about the issue. The symptoms indicate that the OSD is receiving power, but that the eLogger is not able to communicate with the OSD.

I'd recommend these steps:

1) Please confirm that the GPS is connected in the TOP port (nearest the eLogger label) and that the OSD is connected to the bottom port, of the eLogger. With both connections, the red wire of the cable should be at the outer edge of the eLogger.
2) If that does not resolve it, could you check the OSD's cable to make sure there's not a loose pin or physical damage.

If neither of these resolves it, we'll need to get both pieces into our shop and replace the piece that has failed.
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 16, 2013, 07:14 AM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
746 Posts
Hi All,

I'm trying to get my UHF Rx connected using PPM. I am trying to follow the instructions given by Bill in march last year (see link below) but cant find the 'serial PPM ' button anywhere. I'm running v10.08. Please help asap, trying to get out tomorrow to make the most of this brief window of good weather.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=8040
nogas is offline Find More Posts by nogas
Old Mar 16, 2013, 08:08 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by suri0712 View Post
Hi,
I have slowly been accumulating ET hardware for my FPV project & recently have everything I need to get started. But I'm running into some issues with the OSD.

I plugged in my OSD Pro which is connected with the right polarity to the elogger V4(which is also connected to a GPS) using a mini usb cable to the PC (no other hw is connected to the ET system). I see under fw control that the elogger is detected, but I dont see the OSD as detected. The led on the elogger seems fine (3 blink loop) & the the led on the GPD lights up too. Do I need to power the OSD pro separately for it to show upon the PC? When I try to configure parameters to show up on the OSD, it says initializing & then OSD board is not detected

Another thing I tried was connecting a battery to the eloger & OSD to a camera. On the Video out I see the ET systems banner & no receiver detected. So the OSD works but doesnt want to get detected on the PC.

Any help will be appreciated.

PS:I've owned a remzibi OSD on my previos FPV system & none of the stuff in the ET system is reused.
Thanks
Suresh
Check to see if all parts have the latest firmware.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:19 AM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogas View Post
Hi All,

I'm trying to get my UHF Rx connected using PPM. I am trying to follow the instructions given by Bill in march last year (see link below) but cant find the 'serial PPM ' button anywhere. I'm running v10.08. Please help asap, trying to get out tomorrow to make the most of this brief window of good weather.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=8040
Hi Nogas,
i donŽt use the ppm, but as far as i rember ppm needs a newer firmware than 10.08.
update to the latest alpha an youŽll see the button.

cu Thomas
Thint1 is offline Find More Posts by Thint1
Old Mar 16, 2013, 01:53 PM
RC FPVer
United States, FL
Joined Nov 2011
495 Posts
I'm attempting to get my external mic working correctly and running into some buzzing issues.

I've gone through all the troubleshooting suggested, the OSD on/off makes no difference or white/black levels, And I even tried completely disconnecting the line in servo and only have the signal/ground wires going to the VTx from the audio out on the OSD. Still get an awful background hum.

The audio voice commands do work and I can hear them fine, just has a bad hum in the background constant. If I mute "external audio input" and the buzz goes away, doesn't seem to matter if the mic is connected or not. Also the mic does work, I get audio from it when connected but has the hum with it.

Where can I troubleshoot from here? Thanks!

Edit: I did a little more testing, tried a 10k resistor inline with the audio signal out to the Vtx, didn't stop the buzz, just made everything a bit quieter maybe.
Also I did find out if I unplugged my PPM servo wire from the OSD to the Rangelink PPM pins the buzz went away. I am using PPM out so just using the 1 servo wire. Is there some bad ground loop going on somewhere? Anyone else had audio issues using PPM?
surf1punk is offline Find More Posts by surf1punk
Last edited by surf1punk; Mar 16, 2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 04:00 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,409 Posts
I have never had this issue, but I have read of a few people who have.

I am currious,

which mic and Vtx are you using?

I am convinced that it is a hardware issue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf1punk View Post
I'm attempting to get my external mic working correctly and running into some buzzing issues.

I've gone through all the troubleshooting suggested, the OSD on/off makes no difference or white/black levels, And I even tried completely disconnecting the line in servo and only have the signal/ground wires going to the VTx from the audio out on the OSD. Still get an awful background hum.

The audio voice commands do work and I can hear them fine, just has a bad hum in the background constant. If I mute "external audio input" and the buzz goes away, doesn't seem to matter if the mic is connected or not. Also the mic does work, I get audio from it when connected but has the hum with it.

Where can I troubleshoot from here? Thanks!

Edit: I did a little more testing, tried a 10k resistor inline with the audio signal out to the Vtx, didn't stop the buzz, just made everything a bit quieter maybe.
Also I did find out if I unplugged my PPM servo wire from the OSD to the Rangelink PPM pins the buzz went away. I am using PPM out so just using the 1 servo wire. Is there some bad ground loop going on somewhere? Anyone else had audio issues using PPM?
Old Mar 16, 2013, 04:09 PM
RC FPVer
United States, FL
Joined Nov 2011
495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
I have never had this issue, but I have read of a few people who have.

I am currious,

which mic and Vtx are you using?

I am convinced that it is a hardware issue...
It's the Mini Mic Amplified from ReadymadeRC http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=1039

And the 800mw 1.3 Vtx from ReadymadeRc http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=914

If you think its a piece of hardware being the issue, I get the buzz without any mic plugged in at all, so that would have to be the Vtx. But sound works fine and clear with just the voice alerts when I disable the external audio with that same Vtx....
Old Mar 16, 2013, 04:48 PM
France, Bourgogne, Nevers
Joined Feb 2012
557 Posts
Quote:

I get the buzz without any mic plugged in at all, so that would have to be the Vtx. But sound works fine and clear with just the voice alerts when I disable the external audio with that same Vtx....
I have the same mic, and my hum is 60-cycle.
Think of the audio hum that comes from an open or unshielded input lead on an amplifier- is the hum at that 60-cycle region? If so, it's a good clue.

It has been suggested, I think by Billpa, that inside your house or workshop is a high-hum environment, and you should try the same setup outside, away from power wiring. If that significantly reduces the hum, then we can take a shot at shielding some leads.
There is a copper foil tape made just for this problem on guitar pickups. Can be had on ebay. I got some to use myself, but haven't gotten around to it. To work, the tape will probably need to be grounded. You CAN solder to it, but it's delicate. It's not heavy.
wazoo22 is offline Find More Posts by wazoo22
Last edited by wazoo22; Mar 16, 2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 04:52 PM
RC FPVer
United States, FL
Joined Nov 2011
495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo22 View Post
Think of the audio hum that comes from an open input lead on an amplifier- is the hum at that 60-cycle region? If so, it's a good clue.

It has been suggested I think by Billpa, that inside your house or workshop is a high-hum environment, and you should try the same setup outside, away from wiring.
Hmm yeah I've been testing indoors, I'll test later today outside and see if the results differ.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 05:56 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,409 Posts
Good point.

If you are using a UHF, and the transmitter is next to your equipment, then that could be a cause, as well...
Old Mar 16, 2013, 05:58 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,409 Posts
surf punk,

I have not used either of these. I have used the mic from hobby wireless, and the Vtx from range video.

It will be interresting to get some feedback on possible causes of this anomaly.

Could you list your cam also for research purposes?

Thanks.

Quote:
It's the Mini Mic Amplified from ReadymadeRC http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=1039

And the 800mw 1.3 Vtx from ReadymadeRc http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=914

If you think its a piece of hardware being the issue, I get the buzz without any mic plugged in at all, so that would have to be the Vtx. But sound works fine and clear with just the voice alerts when I disable the external audio with that same Vtx....
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:38 AM
RC FPVer
United States, FL
Joined Nov 2011
495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
surf punk,

I have not used either of these. I have used the mic from hobby wireless, and the Vtx from range video.

It will be interresting to get some feedback on possible causes of this anomaly.

Could you list your cam also for research purposes?

Thanks.
The camera is a 600tvl SONY 1/3 " Super HAD II CCD+Nextchip 2040 DSP.

Doing some more testing tonight, I found that if I boot it all up without my controller Tx on, there is no buzzing, as soon as I turn it on and the receiver binds to it, I get a buzz, but only after it binds. Turning it off after that point, the hum actually remains, and again, if I disconnect the 1 servo wire that goes to the PPM pins on the receiver the hum goes away.

I also walked far away with the Rangelink UHF Tx just to see if it made any difference, it did not, and I tried booting it up in micro power, made no difference, still initiated the buzz once it was bound.

My only next test would be to disable PPM and try wiring all the servos to see if there is any difference. Other than that, what could I do??
Old Mar 17, 2013, 02:29 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,409 Posts
Quote:
The camera is a 600tvl SONY 1/3 " Super HAD II CCD+Nextchip 2040 DSP.

Doing some more testing tonight, I found that if I boot it all up without my controller Tx on, there is no buzzing, as soon as I turn it on and the receiver binds to it, I get a buzz, but only after it binds. Turning it off after that point, the hum actually remains, and again, if I disconnect the 1 servo wire that goes to the PPM pins on the receiver the hum goes away.

I also walked far away with the Rangelink UHF Tx just to see if it made any difference, it did not, and I tried booting it up in micro power, made no difference, still initiated the buzz once it was bound.

My only next test would be to disable PPM and try wiring all the servos to see if there is any difference. Other than that, what could I do??
It is worth a try to disable PPM.

I will be interested to see how it goes.