HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: OK, Place your bets for fun. WILL SHE FLY?
"The force is strong with this one." 195 54.62%
"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts" 101 28.29%
"Negitive.... It just impacted on the surface" 24 6.72%
Pull up! Pull up!! Ba-da-boommmm! 37 10.36%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 10, 2005, 04:00 PM
crashin with a smile
Los Angeles Industry, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,149 Posts
Ahh!!! No video yet of the falcon. Come on lets not write it off. I really wanted to see it moving in the sky. Someone help him video that thing.
Please!!!!
sirdirk007 is offline Find More Posts by sirdirk007
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2005, 04:56 PM
Hurst, Texas USA
Joined Jan 2002
704 Posts
Cool thread and great work with the Falcon !

While the subject is on making starships fly, how about one of these ? This would be the ultimate for me since it is my favorite fighter. Unfortunately, it does not look like it would do too well in atmospheric flight.
RPatrick is offline Find More Posts by RPatrick
Old May 10, 2005, 05:37 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
the battle star fighters, nice!

They'd work. The square cells and nose would be hollow, so there'd be air going through the whole thing, may even get a slight lift benefit out of the fuse. But even with the tiny wings... balance it right, and force it through the air hard enough, it'll fly!
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old May 10, 2005, 05:53 PM
Negative altitude hurts
Litchfield Park, AZ
Joined Feb 2005
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrick
Cool thread and great work with the Falcon !

While the subject is on making starships fly, how about one of these ? This would be the ultimate for me since it is my favorite fighter. Unfortunately, it does not look like it would do too well in atmospheric flight.

It's been done... sort of. About 15 years ago there was a glow powered plane called "Diablo" (I think). Same layout as the viper: rear-mounted delta wings with anhedral and no canards. I see no reason why a Viper wouldn't fly.

Triple EDF...
m00se is offline Find More Posts by m00se
Old May 10, 2005, 05:58 PM
"Experienced-Crasher"
Rex, NC "Extreme Boonies"
Joined Jan 2002
2,355 Posts
All You Need for a Viper.............

Are 3 of these little Cox EDF's.... 2 X of them will lift & fly (with authority) a Cox XB-29 Airlifter weighin' in at 19.5oz. Three of them, in a foam fan fold Viper, and a 2200 2S Tanic Lipoly would weigh, at best, 10-13 oz. That would put the thrust/weight ratio at roughly 2:1 (closer to 1.5:1)which means Verticle, wouldn't be a problem. A balsa leading & trailing edge on the fan fold wing & fin would help aerodynamics even further...Might have the glide pattern of a half-full beer can with power-off though...But,.. You MIGHT get by that with a semi VTOL type landing... straight up, full-power.. let it settle.. no prop to break! Bob
PS: GOR/C... WHERE'S THE #@%!&^ VIDEO!!!???
Demon-Leather is offline Find More Posts by Demon-Leather
Last edited by Demon-Leather; May 10, 2005 at 06:05 PM.
Old May 10, 2005, 06:15 PM
Purdue Engineering
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
2,606 Posts
The COX fans probably don't have as mush thrust as you think. They won't take the Airlifter vertical, but they're powerful for their weight. The thrust to weight ratio in the Viper would surely be over 1:1, though.
Rocketman1092 is online now Find More Posts by Rocketman1092
Old May 10, 2005, 07:05 PM
Hurst, Texas USA
Joined Jan 2002
704 Posts
I was thinking that there was just not enough wing area for a Colonial Viper to fly, but hearing these positive comments gives me some hope.
RPatrick is offline Find More Posts by RPatrick
Old May 10, 2005, 08:17 PM
[This space for rent]
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Joined Aug 2003
1,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM
There's a spiffy pic of Obi's starfighter on walmart's site...

...very flyable really.
Akura2 and theKM, check these photos out. Looks like it would be a good project. I would be inclined to make a version with the wingtips extended and a single DF in the pod.
macr is offline Find More Posts by macr
Last edited by macr; May 10, 2005 at 08:26 PM.
Old May 10, 2005, 09:25 PM
"Experienced-Crasher"
Rex, NC "Extreme Boonies"
Joined Jan 2002
2,355 Posts
Rocket........

I wasn't saying they had that much thrust,.. I was saying they pushed a VERY much-modified Airlifter weighing in at 19.5 oz. (6.6 oz of that was NiCad battery alone) along VERY nicely. I was saying 3 X Cox fans on a Viper about half the weight, would be impressive indeed!
RPatrick... They are flying Starfighters in the jets forum with HALF the wing area of a Viper. Those wings are stubby,.. but long.. makes for more area.
Light & grossly overpowered,..makes all the difference!
Roughly a 26-28" fuselage, and a 20-22" wingspan out of fan fold foam, the AUW of the airframe with nothing in it would be about 3.5-5 oz. add 4.1 for the fans, 3.7 oz for a 2200 Tanic pack about 2 oz for the micro gear,and You have about a 14.5 oz hyperdrive Viper! Bob
Demon-Leather is offline Find More Posts by Demon-Leather
Old May 10, 2005, 11:20 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by macr
Akura2 and theKM, check these photos out. Looks like it would be a good project. I would be inclined to make a version with the wingtips extended and a single DF in the pod.

Ya.. it looks sweet with the vertical stab deployed... I didn't even know it did that....

How about THIS?... there are a few people working on it in the scale forum.... and I've already made a 10-inch chuck glider put of 3mm depon that flies as far as I can throw it..and straight as an arrow.. I've never made a chuck glider that has flow so well right of the bat
Akura2 is offline Find More Posts by Akura2
Last edited by Akura2; May 10, 2005 at 11:27 PM.
Old May 10, 2005, 11:27 PM
[This space for rent]
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Joined Aug 2003
1,102 Posts
Looks good, but we are getting off topic. I would be interested in a link to what they are doing on the scale folder. PM me with it, if you don't mind.
macr is offline Find More Posts by macr
Old May 10, 2005, 11:47 PM
Have Bluecore....will fly
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
Hey all, finally got a chance to fly the Falcon again. We tried the video on the first flight and it did not work. Guess I'm gonna need a real digital video camera. Anyway she did fly pretty good this time, but still not as stable as we would like. On landing I brought her down way to fast and banged up the front end. It was repairable but not at the field. So that ended this flight session. I'm not going to give in. We'll continue to make small changes until we get her to fly smoothly. I also think that I will recut the elevons to have them hinge 90% to the center line of the ship. Hope this helps with some of the control issues. Sorry no pics of the flight. We chose to try the video instead of taking photos this time.

In the mean time while sitting around waiting for dead wind conditions. I have also been playing with the X-wing Idea. Below are a few pictures of the test gliders I made. One has a mono wing(wings closed), the other is in the open position. The mono wing version had a small vertical fin and the open x-wing version did not. Wing span on these was 16". Both versions flew VERY well. Stable, straight and smooth! I took off the fin and added some engine tubes to see if they would give me enough yaw stability. They did'nt work well at all. So it seems the clear verticle fin will be needed. The CG ended up being just along the front leading edge on BOTH gliders. This was what I had hoped for. My intention is to be able to open s-foils in flight. I have the lay out for the servo mechanism set. It will be very simple and should work well. One big thing to note was that neither glider had a canard wing on it. From what i have seen on the line control X-wings that had them. They were used for pitch control. At the moment I'm thinking to use elevons on the two top wings. Just some ideas, any and all input is welcome!
GO-RC is offline Find More Posts by GO-RC
Old May 10, 2005, 11:55 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,653 Posts
Well with the flat bottom on the fuse... you may be getting some lift/more wing area ...that's why you didn't need canards... the one i saw fly in the video that is now long gone, wasn't much more than what you have there... it was a pusher, with no vertical fins and the s-foils were locked in attack position. But the front wasn't a fully 3-dimensional fuse as he was just experimenting... it was just the flat fuse like you have... it flew nicely in the indoor gym they filmed it... I saved it on my computer at home.. I'f I can find it I'll post later when I get there
Akura2 is offline Find More Posts by Akura2
Old May 11, 2005, 03:39 AM
United Kingdom, England, Hindhead
Joined May 2004
245 Posts
X wing looks good, in the early nineties there were a number of x wing type pushers sold with glow engines

They had a small canard that gave pitch so the rear wings could concetrate on roll this might sort out your yaw control as the xwing surfaces might have less work to do

If you can find a US book on customising kit planes they had one of these planes in there as an example of what you could do
desmo is online now Find More Posts by desmo
Old May 11, 2005, 07:45 AM
Glue can fix that.
Sunny Miami
Joined May 2004
1,192 Posts
I imagine if you build up the fuselage properly with lots of vertical bits you may not need the vert. fin--at least until you deploy the wings.

Maybe the next step shoud be a shock style fuse to test this out.

Love the work.
Brutus is offline Find More Posts by Brutus