HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2014, 02:13 PM
Professional farm-buyer
Joined Sep 2014
1 Posts
Discussion
Resurrecting glow engines from the 90s

Hello all.

I'm getting back into RC again after being active in glow sport flying from 1992 - 2000. So many things have changed, but I'm hoping I can use the planes and engines that I already have (transmitters and receivers are another story).

I have 3 OS engines (.40FP, .15FP, and a ..48 Surpass 4 stroke) that have great compression and turn over. Any suggestions on what (if anything) I need to do prior to attempting to use them again?

Thanks.
Skeezix is online now Find More Posts by Skeezix
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2014, 02:44 PM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,730 Posts
Aehm... Fuel and starting gear maybe?

If they have compression and turn freely, just start them, and keep them a bit rich for the first few minutes...

That's all I would do...

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is offline Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Old Sep 15, 2014, 02:45 PM
Fairmont MN
Joined Jun 2006
45 Posts
If they turn over freely, prime and run 'em, if they're sticky, flush with alcohol or fuel first.
bhady is offline Find More Posts by bhady
Old Sep 15, 2014, 03:18 PM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
959 Posts
On the 4-stroke you might want to check the state of the ballbearings and also lubricate the camshaft etc before the first start.

The plain bearing 2-strokes are easier I guess, not so much that can go wrong, but it would be fairly easy to take of the backplate and see what it looks like inside. If they were run on full castor before, then there is a risk that the conrod is stuck to the gudgeon pin, for instance. In that case you are better off freeing that up before running them.
surfer_kris is online now Find More Posts by surfer_kris
Old Sep 15, 2014, 03:41 PM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer_kris View Post
If they were run on full castor before, then there is a risk that the conrod is stuck to the gudgeon pin, for instance. In that case you are better off freeing that up before running them.
That is a good one... I did not think of that, and I should have...: exactly that did cost me a nice OS heli engine a few months back....

Kris is right: check that, better safe than sorry!

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is offline Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:12 PM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,066 Posts
Th stuck rod to the gudgeon (wrist) pin is nearly always overlooked but it must be free. All that's needed is to remove the backlpate and, with the piston at BDC, hook a small allen key behind the rod as far up inside the piston as possible then try pulling the rod along the pin with the allen key and pushing it back with a finger. It should slide freely. If not, with the engine inverted, fill the inside of the piston with either fuel or preferably acetone and keep trying to move the rod. Once it moves even the slightest then it'll free up very quickly.
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder