HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2014, 08:06 AM
United Kingdom, Wales
Joined Jul 2009
314 Posts
Discussion
Park Jets for newbies

Hi all, have been flying ic for 25years, now want to give Depron a go. I fancy the Park Jets for starters, but wondered if they all have to be flown at speed ? If I can manage to fly them slowly for a start it may help my confidence to open the throttle LoL. Thanks
Fly Boy3 is offline Find More Posts by Fly Boy3
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2014, 09:10 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,126 Posts
You might enjoy one of these ... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=skyray+gpw

F4DSkyray 17WS (2 min 1 sec)

28F4D (1 min 18 sec)
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Last edited by gpw; Sep 15, 2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:38 AM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Boy3 View Post
Hi all, have been flying ic for 25years, now want to give Depron a go. I fancy the Park Jets for starters, but wondered if they all have to be flown at speed ? If I can manage to fly them slowly for a start it may help my confidence to open the throttle LoL. Thanks
Light wing loading is the key to slow flight for any plane . If you make the airframe large ( lots of wing area ) and use lightweight electronics to keep the AUW low , you will have a relatively slow park jet . Then after getting some slow flying practice , you can replace the lightweight motor/ESC/battery with more powerful/faster electronics .

Here is a lightweight Stryker able to fly slowly .

Light Stryker Fun (1 min 30 sec)
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:58 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,454 Posts
Quote:
A question that I am asking is, by park jet are you thinking scale model/profile foamy, or some other sport models that are jetish?

Some of the more scale models can be a bit tricky. However, as was already mentioned, light wing loading is key for slow flight. Seems like the f-22 profile always flys well, and for sport planes the Mach One RC Xraycer has an extraordinary flight envelope, even with high power systems.
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:26 AM
United Kingdom, Wales
Joined Jul 2009
314 Posts
Hi DZ. due to budget constraints I am really looking at a Depron flat (6mm) wing type profile at the moment. Regarding weight loading of which I am aware of, but in the 8-12 oz/square ft range. What sort of W L are we talking about with Depron, and would a flat plate wing be more difficult to fly. Cheers
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:24 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,154 Posts
Fly Boy, what happened with the Night Crow and the Vulcan ?

P.S. what part of Wales ?
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:33 PM
United Kingdom, Wales
Joined Jul 2009
314 Posts
Hi Ray, nice to hear from you, hope you are well. The Vulcan , great flier, slow and sedate, but the N/C is the problem. Whether I have the wrong power set up, but goes like a bat out of hell even at slow speed, hence the question re speed. At my age I have to progress slooow. LoL Cheers from Llanelli
Old Sep 15, 2014, 02:39 PM
Joined Apr 2013
527 Posts
Any Mirage-ish plane (more-or-less equilateral triangle planform) with low wing loading can fly at really slow speed (and high AOA), but yet be able to speed up nicely with the right motor/prop.
And they're incredibly easy to build. The delta wing planform is also incredibly strong (one of the reasons why it's fairly popular on fighter aircraft).
Add a fixed canard and drooping outboard leading edge cuffs and you'll have even better slow speed high AOA performance without hurting high speed performance tremendously.
The one I did below is an example. Having an airfoil that at least approximates a "real" airfoil smooths things out, but a flat plate will fly reasonably well.
nuteman is offline Find More Posts by nuteman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My youtube channel
Old Sep 15, 2014, 02:46 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,590 Posts
Quote:
Hi DZ. due to budget constraints I am really looking at a Depron flat (6mm) wing type profile at the moment. Regarding weight loading of which I am aware of, but in the 8-12 oz/square ft range. What sort of W L are we talking about with Depron, and would a flat plate wing be more difficult to fly. Cheers
The wing loading is what you make it - the lighter the better for slow flight . And building lightweight also helps in the mass/inertia department - 2 ounces of electronics pushing your foam airframe into the ground at 10 mph , compared to 16 ounces of electronics pushing your foam airframe into the ground at 30 mph .

Any airframe without a high wing and dihedral is not going to have self righting built in , and will be more difficult to fly . For practicing the " bank and yank " elevon type flying of a park jet , a simple delta works well . Here is my design for a very simple delta .

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2145562

Al
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Sep 15, 2014, 08:23 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,454 Posts
Quote:
An example would be my Xraycer. AUW is 15 oz. with 325 sq. in. wing area, which is about 6.65 oz per sq. ft. This is a 90+ mph foamie that can fly very slowly or very fast and is stable at both ends.

Picture is with the old motor setup, which was a 3000kv blue wonder on 3s. 70 mph on this setup.

Link to Xraycer thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=1315434&pp=30

Ken

RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 02:45 PM
United Kingdom, Wales
Joined Jul 2009
314 Posts
Jets for newbies

Thanks all, for great information, I think I got it all. Must check out the power train on the jet attempt I built, as most other points are ok, wing loading etc. Cheers ps thanks for the videos too , it is the proof of the pudding.
Last edited by Fly Boy3; Yesterday at 02:47 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old Yesterday, 03:59 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,454 Posts
I realize I did not post a video. Here it is.
BTW, this is the Blue Wonder setup.

Ken

Xraycer Demo Flight (2 min 43 sec)
RCG Plus Member