HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 04, 2014, 05:44 AM
Urbana, Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
296 Posts
Discussion
Test flying the UMX Radian TWIN

I love to fly twins and have always encouraged Horizon to produce a UMX DC-3 /C47. As it isn’t available yet, I decided to make a twin out of my new slow flyer the Mod C Radian using the old Citabria wings. I cut a Citabria wing in half to form the structure between the fuselages and where the outer wings connect similar to a P-38.

After the first wing failure at this center point, I added more tape which helped for about another minute of flight time. Small carbon fiber rods worked great until that last loop which resulted from the wing structure failing at the end of the rods. I need to extend the rods through both fuselages to prevent further failures at that point. And, I may not continue to connect the rear horizontal stabilizers as damage accrues during crashes when they are taped together.

It will be a super slow flying twin with good power when the bugs are gone. I may also try using the regular Radian wing for a faster twin.

Test flying the UMX Radian twin (3 min 21 sec)
twoplanekid is online now Find More Posts by twoplanekid
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2014, 05:48 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,273 Posts
Could you not use both the wings?
Clipped short on opposite ends with an overlap in the middle...
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Aug 04, 2014, 06:38 AM
Urbana, Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
Could you not use both the wings?
Clipped short on opposite ends with an overlap in the middle...
I may try that!

My objective is to have a very stable slow flying twin for use indoors as well as outside in some winds. I probably will extend the rods out to the upward bend in the outer wing panels. Then, were will be my next failure point? If one motor fails, will that one automatically feather? More testing is needed and should be fun.
Old Aug 04, 2014, 06:41 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,273 Posts
Good luck!!

A very wise man once told me that when flying a twin if one engine fails there is usually enough power in the second to get you to the crash!

Tony
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Aug 04, 2014, 12:31 PM
USA, NH, Bow
Joined Jun 2007
368 Posts
How did you wire it up to power 2x the stuff?
I guess ideally the props would be counter-rotating?
bobbutts is offline Find More Posts by bobbutts
Old Aug 04, 2014, 08:26 PM
Urbana, Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbutts View Post
How did you wire it up to power 2x the stuff?
I guess ideally the props would be counter-rotating?
I bind both bricks to my DX9. Then, I can easily separate the bodies and use them for something else with little trouble.

Today, all flights were successful after extending the carbon fiber spars. I also added the tabs which help to slow it down. It's not as slow as the Mod C with one engine but will be easy to fly in a gym this winter.

Be careful out there! I had a small fire in the house today from using the Horizon four port charger. It was in another room when I heard a pop and then smelled something burning. If I had not been there, the whole house would have caught on fire.

Yesterday, I noticed that the charger's lights were acting strange with no batteries in the unit. The red charging indicator lights would cycle on then off when connected to AC power. The lights would go out then come back on at random times. I have used chargers like this for years that did not act in this way. I believe the charging unit caused one of the batteries to overcharge causing the fire. I will call Horizon tomorrow to see if this charger has had problems.

Update
It is my mistake and I should have known better. I my hurry to plug the E-flite Celectra 4-Port charger into AC power, I grabbed the wrong power supply adapter. As the warning notes on the side of the charger: We Recommend EFLC1005 Power Supply, Input: 6V DC 1.5 AMP max…… I used the EFLC4000 AC to 12V DC adapter. As everything fits fine, it’s easy to make this mistake. At least now I know what went wrong. Human error.
Last edited by twoplanekid; Aug 06, 2014 at 08:00 AM. Reason: update
Old Aug 10, 2014, 06:05 PM
Urbana, Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
296 Posts
My current UXM Radian twin has shorter wings but keeps the tabs on the front of the wing. The maneuverability is good with power to spare. It slows down to fly in a small area and should do well in high winds.

Flying my current UMX Radian Twin (2 min 27 sec)
Last edited by twoplanekid; Aug 10, 2014 at 08:55 PM.