SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 22, 2013, 06:03 PM
Joined Feb 2013
288 Posts
Discussion
Hooben T-55A

After reading on this I get the impression that getting the one without the RC gear is probably the best option, your thoughts?
SpookyNumber1 is offline Find More Posts by SpookyNumber1
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2013, 09:34 PM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Feb 2008
107 Posts
The T-55 is not a good starter tank kit if you've never built a tank. It is a difficult build that will require the builder to...improvise occasionally.

I built mine using Tamiya electronics (MF 06, and a DMD T-08). After considerable tweaking, it works...almost as good as a Tamiya.
jeff489 is offline Find More Posts by jeff489
Old May 22, 2013, 11:42 PM
Joined Feb 2013
288 Posts
It can't be any worse than the 1/200 Nichimo Yamato I built decades ago so I guess I will go with the RC version and not the static. Does anyone know if the gun recoil unit can be adjusted or altered? I watched a video and it has an unusual action similar to the Hobby Engine Leopard 2. The unit looks similar to the Tamiya units operating on two rails so maybe a Tamiya one could be fit.
Old May 23, 2013, 09:28 AM
Joined Feb 2008
107 Posts
The T-55's RC version has stock electronics that aren't the best...and I'm being kind. But..they can be made to function given enough time and attention.

As to the recoil unit, it initially was a bad copy of a Tamiya recoil unit. It had problems falling apart, and usually was in pieces in the new box (mine was). I had to rebuild mine using a Tamiya Pershing recoil unit before installing it. I found it was poor quality plastic that broke under little or no load. Bad for an RC model. But the Tamiya unit fixed it right up. The Tamiya style recoil unit can be adjusted using an in-line resistor and filing teeth off the big gear. This will give a very realistic recoil and return stroke.

Lately, I've heard from friends who've recently bought the Elefant kit (which had the same recoil unit...and the same problems) that Hooben has replaced the recoil unit in it with a smaller servo operated version. Not exactly original, but apparently, it works better. Unknown whether the stroke can be adjusted with the servo.
Last edited by jeff489; May 23, 2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old May 23, 2013, 10:05 AM
North Plains Oregon
Joined Jul 2006
121 Posts
T55

I would not give it to a friend!
Darryl Usher
Darryl Usher is offline Find More Posts by Darryl Usher
Old May 23, 2013, 04:20 PM
Joined Feb 2013
288 Posts
Thanks for the responses!
Quote:
jeff489
So are you recommending the basic static T-55 or the better one so as to have the RC stuff included?
Quote:
Darryl Usher
What if your friend wanted a 1/16 or large scale T-55?

I want the T55 in large scale and it appears that Hooben is the only source or at least the only one I could find. With that I am in the same boat as those wanting the Abrams in 1/16 and having to settle for the HE and then upgrading. I will settle for the Hooben T-55 and after bolstering the lower hull with styrene HengLong electronics will be installed. I do have a Tamiya King Tiger recoil unit so has anyone adapted it to plug into the HL controller? I mean, any diagrams for adapting the electrical?
Old May 23, 2013, 07:21 PM
Joined Feb 2008
107 Posts
Quote:
So are you recommending the basic static T-55 or the better one so as to have the RC stuff included?
I'd recommend go static and get the electronics elsewhere...based on personal experience with that kit.
Old May 23, 2013, 09:42 PM
North Plains Oregon
Joined Jul 2006
121 Posts
T55

Well the reason I think it is poor, cannon not drilled out so you can put wire up
to the light, plastic part that the cannon attachés to not tapped, about 50 % of
plastic parts short shot or over filled (flash), outboard bearing for gearbox too big
and bearing holder too small, gearbox too low, road wheels only have one bushing in center(wobbles), no support for idler wheels, elevation motor hits top
of turret, and only two plastic parts fit and they were the outer bearing holder
for the drive, but the bearing did not fit. By the way I have three set of plastic
trees and still need some parts, but I have giver up and make my own.
Darryl Usher
Darryl Usher is offline Find More Posts by Darryl Usher
Old May 24, 2013, 12:01 AM
Joined Feb 2013
288 Posts
Any possibility that there might have been improvements since you got yours? I see some aftermarket upgrades. How about as a static model, would you be satisfied with it as a shelf display? After the responses I received I am getting the static version even though it's only saving me about $40. The least expensive one I found is selling for $280 shipped so if anyone knows of one for less please weigh in as I intend to make the purchase on 6/1.
Old May 24, 2013, 04:59 PM
Joined Feb 2008
107 Posts
That's a cheap price. I paid more for mine. There may have been improvements, but I know of nothing that suggests so. Still, it is a very cool tank, and is a show stopper every battle I take it to.

I'm personally glad they made it. Just don't expect much. You'll have a fair amount of modeling to make it go.
Old May 25, 2013, 12:39 AM
Joined Feb 2013
288 Posts
"Darryl Usher"
I just read through a five page forum dated 3/23/2010 from when this tank was being shipped missing parts and in generic boxes and am glad I waited years, maybe I will do ok when it arrives. Hopefully some of the issues you mentioned from your experience have been rectified.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_96..._1/key_/tm.htm