United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,518 Posts
Cool
Airco DH.2

Maxford has a DH.2 coming:
http://www.maxfordusa.com/geebeemodelearf-1-2.aspx
50"

DH-2 Test Fly Prototype #1 (2 min 43 sec)
kdahlhaus is online now Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:30 PM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,316 Posts
Nice!
Carnifax is offline Find More Posts by Carnifax
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:51 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,066 Posts
Me like DH-2! Maybe they will have them at the Toledo Show
The Don is offline Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:35 PM
Mayday!
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Sep 2005
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Me like DH-2! Maybe they will have them at the Toledo Show
I call first in line when you get bored of it and put it up for sale.

Tim
Newtron is offline Find More Posts by Newtron
Old Mar 29, 2013, 12:40 PM
Joined Mar 2002
4,518 Posts
Got an email today from Maxford. It's available for pre-order, with delivery late April or May:
http://www.maxfordusa.com/geebeemodelearf-1-2-1.aspx

New video too:
Maxford USA DH-2 EP 50" ARF Official Release (4 min 50 sec)

What's with the gunshots at 3:53?!

(They have a new Antonov which is kind of a neat looking plane too.)
Last edited by kdahlhaus; Mar 29, 2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old Apr 06, 2013, 04:22 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,066 Posts
Well, I saw it at the Toldeo show yesterday, I think I will pass.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 06, 2013, 04:29 PM
Joined Mar 2002
4,518 Posts
What didnt you like about it?
Old Apr 07, 2013, 09:53 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,066 Posts
I just did not feel the price was justified for its size after seeing it in person. Hobby Lobby has a 52" span balsa Albatross for the same price.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 07, 2013, 01:51 PM
Joined Mar 2002
4,518 Posts
Good to hear it is more about price and not a bad rendition of the plane. They tend to heavily discount their planes after awhile.
Old Jun 07, 2013, 07:07 AM
Joined Mar 2011
35 Posts
Looked better in the video

Just got mine yesterday, my first impression is not good. Have not started assembly yet, but a few things bothered me looking through the parts:
1. The wire/cable supplied for rigging is very thick. It will need to be replaced with smaller stuff.
2. The dummy engine is crude by comparison to the work of art that came with the albatros. Will throw lack of mg and instrument panel in too. For the price should have been in there.
3. The tail system does no look strong and the finish is crude, the two triangular joiners are bare wood painted black, very rough with no sanding. Will likely change these out anyway, as I intend to mount the servos forward and run the controls scale-ish with pulleys. That said, it would have been nice to have alternate servo cuts in the forward fuse for servos. The manual even says it will need weight in the nose why put them in the tail, then what to do with the wires! Aaargggh!
4. The fuse is large and spacious, but you get no access except the battery compartment. Would have been nice to have a hatch on the bottom.
5. Wheels supplied are small and look very flimsy, vac formed thin plastic on a wood core as with the albatros.
6. The tail booms are fiberglass/plastic etc. would have been nicer iif done in wood. Will probably be sturdy with the wires strung, but nothing that can be made to look more scale.

Overall, i intend to keep it, and will make some mods to look more scale. all considered it gives you a leg up on scratch building. Will try to post some pics ASAP
nomad2265 is offline Find More Posts by nomad2265
Old Jun 07, 2013, 08:29 AM
Joined Mar 2002
4,518 Posts
Nomad, sorrry to hear about the kit. You are hitting on the points that would bother me - the rigging, dummy engine, and plastic booms. It's disappointing as I've been rooting for Maxford since they started producing less commonly made planes. Definately post pics of your rebuild when you get a chance, as in any case it is a cool looking plane.

There's a fun-fly Sunday at CRCC's Warner Road field if you are in the area.
Old Jun 08, 2013, 06:09 PM
moreno valley california
Joined Jun 2008
303 Posts
hi guys, I am building one for a customer...i'm way out of my element as I normally play with planes that are much larger, spew gasoline, and don't have wires hanging all over them. I put some time in today, mounted the aileron servos, the maxford Uranus motor - an odd name if there was one - looked at the general layout. doesn't seem like much, but it took some time. the manual is surprisingly well written - but there aren't nearly enough pictures and it's easy to pick the wrong screws. the covering quality is quite good, as is the fit of the parts, but some of the hinge points were off center - not a biggie, but takes patience to fix. care must be taken when mounting the motor to ensure sufficient clearance of the prop over the dummy motor cylinders. i'll post pix as I get a bit more done.

paul
koppterX is online now Find More Posts by koppterX