SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 09, 2013, 05:30 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Feb 2001
283 Posts
Discussion
What Airframe for 6S5000 Aerobatics?

Hi Gang-

I find myself resistant to fly my big Yak due to : 1) it's big, barely fits in the SUV; 2) it takes awhile to put together; 3) it takes awhile to cram (2) 6S 5000 packs into the nose, blah, blah. It hit me that if I could just fly my (4) 6S5000 batterypacks for practice/fun flying it might be more better.

So far, I've come up with a Sebart Wind S 50E/GP at 960 in^2 area, 3D Hobby Osiris 62" at 725 in^2 area, 3D Viper 65" at 960 in^2 area. Seems that there are a lot of choices in the 4S/5S, ~ 550 in^2 size but not so much in this larger size.

Any good/bad experience with the above models on 6S5000s or anything else I've missed?

Thanks Much,

Steve Manganelli aka Prof. Maneuver
Prof. Maneuver is offline Find More Posts by Prof. Maneuver
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:46 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,316 Posts
I fly my Osiris 62 on 6S 4000's with a Hacker A50-16S and an APC 16x12. It hauls, it has monster acceleration, flying Pattern it goes 5 1/2 to 6 minutes on 3000 mah. I just bought some 5000's to start flying Intermediate which is a much longer and more demanding sequence. With these batts I am sure i can do 8 minutes easy.

The model is easy to assemble, easy to fly, easy to fly well, lands great, looks good flying. There is a huge thread on it in this forum. Here, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1173419

Chris...
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:00 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Feb 2001
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntflyr View Post
I fly my Osiris 62 on 6S 4000's with a Hacker A50-16S and an APC 16x12. It hauls, it has monster acceleration, flying Pattern it goes 5 1/2 to 6 minutes on 3000 mah. I just bought some 5000's to start flying Intermediate which is a much longer and more demanding sequence. With these batts I am sure i can do 8 minutes easy.

The model is easy to assemble, easy to fly, easy to fly well, lands great, looks good flying. There is a huge thread on it in this forum. Here, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1173419

Chris...
Thanks Chris! I studied some of that thread which includes an implication that it will be nose heavy on 6S5000s. By that I can only assume there is not room to shovel stuff aft to maintain proper CG. Do you see that issue? I'm a modeler from way back, I don't mind adding wood or fiberglass here or there to it right.

Thanks Again,

Steve
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:37 PM
Oakland township, Michigan
Joined Jun 2005
725 Posts
Steve,

I think that any .60 to .90 sport/aerobatic planes that suits your taste could be a candidate. I currently fly a Fliton Extra 330 (59", 6.5 lbs) on 5S 4000-5000 mah packs and it does quite well. I can easily fly the IMAC sportman sequence with it or the AMA intermediate sequence. Having the extra cell you could probably go with something a little bigger.

I would take a look at the Sebart planes; they have quite a few offerings in what they call the .50 electrics. Most of these planes can be flown on 5 or 6S packs. I also have the Sebart Angel and that does quite well on 5S. The .50 sized Miss Wind would be a good choice. Extreme Flight RC or 3D hobby shop are also alternatives.

Good luck,

Teo
viva_peru is online now Find More Posts by viva_peru
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:32 AM
scratch-built
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Maneuver View Post
Thanks Chris! I studied some of that thread which includes an implication that it will be nose heavy on 6S5000s. By that I can only assume there is not room to shovel stuff aft to maintain proper CG. Do you see that issue? I'm a modeler from way back, I don't mind adding wood or fiberglass here or there to it right.

Thanks Again,

Steve
I'm flying my Osiris on 6s and I built a battery tray that just clears the carbon fibre wing tube, So I could get my heavy battery farther to the rear. It also helps to get the battery mass closer to the C/G of the plane. I've since removed the 5s Ni-MH 1300mAh Rx battery and removed a additional 4.5 ozs of weight. I now run the Rx and servo's off of the CC Ice 100's BEC.

Works Great.

J
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:59 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Feb 2001
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lee View Post
I'm flying my Osiris on 6s and I built a battery tray that just clears the carbon fibre wing tube, So I could get my heavy battery farther to the rear. It also helps to get the battery mass closer to the C/G of the plane. I've since removed the 5s Ni-MH 1300mAh Rx battery and removed a additional 4.5 ozs of weight. I now run the Rx and servo's off of the CC Ice 100's BEC.

Works Great.

J
Thanks Jim!

I think you have the winning plan. I'm about to head off the the AMA show in Ontario with my shopping list in hand. Hope I can come away with one.

Steve M.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:01 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Feb 2001
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viva_peru View Post
Steve,

I think that any .60 to .90 sport/aerobatic planes that suits your taste could be a candidate. I currently fly a Fliton Extra 330 (59", 6.5 lbs) on 5S 4000-5000 mah packs and it does quite well. I can easily fly the IMAC sportman sequence with it or the AMA intermediate sequence. Having the extra cell you could probably go with something a little bigger.

I would take a look at the Sebart planes; they have quite a few offerings in what they call the .50 electrics. Most of these planes can be flown on 5 or 6S packs. I also have the Sebart Angel and that does quite well on 5S. The .50 sized Miss Wind would be a good choice. Extreme Flight RC or 3D hobby shop are also alternatives.

Good luck,

Teo
Teo-

I looked at Sebart and 3D, forgot about Fliton and Extreme Flight, but I'll look there, Thanks for the point!

Steve M.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:14 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,316 Posts
I'm going to change my battery box to something similar to what Jim has done when I use the 5000's. With my 4000's I have them all the way back to the wing tube. I have the rx powered with a 6V NiMh pack hanging off the back of the servo tray. It's probably heavy but it balances just a little bit nose heavy. I only notice the slightest bit of down inverted, but I'll need to have it in better trim for this year.
Chris...
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr