SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:01 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,634 Posts
Bob and Harry; glad to hear we are going to see your models, especially as they are two of the more interesting and off-beat entries. I know what you mean Bob, it has been flaming cold here too, and has had an effect on my progress as my workshop heater copes OK down to just above zero, but below that frozen fingers set in!
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2013, 03:38 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,550 Posts
Me. I'm fairly rocketing on with my build.....
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:54 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,634 Posts
You're doing OK Colonel - as well as I am at least, which maybe isn't saying too much this time! And I think the Kitten is going to be something a bit special.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:04 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,634 Posts
we have the third completed build, ECBoehm's exquisite Bob Woollett designed Wren is finished and waiting for the weather. Give yourself a treat and have a look at it at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1813131 - real vintage aeromodelling eye candy!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2013, 04:07 AM
Agricultural flyer
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
I'm just plodding along. A lousy winter cold is slowing me up - can't concentrate and a sneeze at the wrong moment could cause disaster.
mixer421 is offline Find More Posts by mixer421
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:57 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,634 Posts
Pleased to report that RFJ has sorted out the initial problems with his Manx Monrach and it has now flown successfully (28/02/2013)
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2013, 02:45 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,634 Posts
News Flash

We have our fourth completed build, c_dwebbs lovely little "Skyline Kitten", a very pretty model.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2013, 02:03 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,634 Posts
ECBoehm has flown his beautiful Wren; he reports some trim problems with excessive climb and is adding downthrust.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2013, 03:32 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,634 Posts
John38 has started his build log for the double sized Smeed Debutante - see http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1850447
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2013, 09:11 AM
Deutschland, Berlin
Joined Aug 2011
162 Posts
Hello !

I think i will enter with this one :

http://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1082

But i start later, have to finish a Skampy first to clear the bench.
It is near completition, so it shouldn`t take ages.

I really like the simple design.

Regards !
flyinglog is offline Find More Posts by flyinglog
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:42 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinglog View Post
Hello !

I think i will enter with this one :

http://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1082

But i start later, have to finish a Skampy first to clear the bench.
It is near completition, so it shouldn`t take ages.

I really like the simple design.

Regards !
Hi flyinglog

Good choice, it flies amazingly well for such a simple design and was very, very popular in the 1950's in the UK. The designer, John Barker, was a club mate and friend of mine for a number of years in the 1980's and I built a Lulu then (photo below). John also designed a very fine vintage lightweight rubber model called Hepcat and when I knew him he built a replica of an A/2 (F1A) glider he designed at the same time as the Lulu, but this time for radio control - see the other photo below.

Welcome to the build off, I will add you to the entry list and look forward to seeing your model.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2013, 01:20 PM
Deutschland, Berlin
Joined Aug 2011
162 Posts
Hello !

Thank you for the interesting storys about the LULU .
I will build it as towline single channel, because i have no timer, but some small RC stuff.
Do you know something about weak points or improvements that can be made ?
Did you build the full height spar with splitted ribs ?
Best regards,
Sebastian

P.S: nice LULU on the Pic
flyinglog is offline Find More Posts by flyinglog
Old Mar 14, 2013, 01:58 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,634 Posts
Hi Sebastian

I don't think the Lulu has any particular weaknesses, except perhaps that you will need to take care to not allow the covering to warp the flat plate tailplane. Mine was built with the full depth spar as per plan. Since your model will be a little heavier with radio, you might perhaps consider making the centre section spar with 1/8" x 1/16" spruce caps top and bottom, 1/8" balsa between, with the tip spars all balsa. The only other change perhaps worth considering would be to build the tailplane using half depth criss-cross diagonals - see the photo below - to resist warping.
If you mount your radio gear well forward you should be able to use this to replace the nose ballast a free-flight version would need, so that the total weight is kept as low as possible.

Good luck and enjoy your build.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:45 AM
Joined May 2009
572 Posts
Well, I've begun a slightly larger Old Timer (Flying Midget) and will probably continue to tinker with it a little bit along, but with half of the BritPlan time already past, I've decided to start a second entry. I'm craving a simple little "backyard flier" that still looks like an airplane and the Titch, by Ron Warring, fits the bill.

Construction looks interesting and should go relatively quickly. Another electric conversion for RET.

SD, I'll get a link posted to my build log for you as soon as there is one. I promise to stay on top of this one and post progress a little more frequently than the last one.

David

Finally started...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1856745
cd_webb is offline Find More Posts by cd_webb
Last edited by cd_webb; Sep 04, 2014 at 06:48 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:03 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,634 Posts
Great David, I've added it to the entry list and will post the link to the build thread once you start it. It is a nice little model, I remember fancying it myself when I saw it in one of Vic Smeed's compilation books. It's the sort of simple but appealing structure that makes you want to reach for the balsa knife! I presume it will be electric?
RCG Plus Member