HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:34 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
Discussion
tail rotor blade grips

Just noticed that one of the blade grips slides in and out a little. How tight should the screw that holds it be? IF I go to where I feel resistance in the allen wrench, that blade holder binds and won't rotate as free as the other. Should I just go to the point of binding and let the loctite hold it?
karlik is offline Find More Posts by karlik
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:53 AM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,126 Posts
It should be tight. It'll probably come off soon if you fly it.

What kind of heli? If it's exi... could be there's too many spacers in the grip. Either way the grip, tightened down, should spin but not have back an forth play on the rotor hub shaft).

Maybe your controlling the opposite intended edge of the blade? Shot in the dark, I've done this accidentally.
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Last edited by finguz; Nov 13, 2012 at 03:07 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:54 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlik View Post
Just noticed that one of the blade grips slides in and out a little. How tight should the screw that holds it be? IF I go to where I feel resistance in the allen wrench, that blade holder binds and won't rotate as free as the other. Should I just go to the point of binding and let the loctite hold it?
On clones, it's frequently the case that if you tighten the bolt all the way, you will get binding in the bearings, so it's common to use threadlock. Check the blade grips frequently, since the bolts can work their way out over time.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:31 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
On clones, it's frequently the case that if you tighten the bolt all the way, you will get binding in the bearings, so it's common to use threadlock. Check the blade grips frequently, since the bolts can work their way out over time.
On my exi they just put the tail grip together any old way they felt. I read a tip about this while building mine, so I tore the grips down and put them in following the align manual. Since then the binding is gone, tightening the screw all the way down.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:18 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz View Post
On my exi they just put the tail grip together any old way they felt. I read a tip about this while building mine, so I tore the grips down and put them in following the align manual. Since then the binding is gone, tightening the screw all the way down.
Yes, so the sensible approach would be to strip and rebuild the grips in case they've been mis-assembled by the factory, before resorting to the old threadlock ploy. I'll take another look at some of my grips!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:39 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
Yes, so the sensible approach would be to strip and rebuild the grips in case they've been mis-assembled by the factory, before resorting to the old threadlock ploy. I'll take another look at some of my grips!
I thought that was normal I read that when you buy a pre-assembled heli, you're supposed to take them apart and then alcohol/threadlock/grease them as you put them back together. I took everything apart including the tail
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:14 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
I thought that was normal I read that when you buy a pre-assembled heli, you're supposed to take them apart and then alcohol/threadlock/grease them as you put them back together. I took everything apart including the tail
It is, but I guess you can get complacent. My 450 grips are simple - there are two bearings, which are different sizes, so they can't be mixed up. There's not an inboard or outboard face for the bearings since they are shielded on both faces. There are no thrust bearings. So, as long as there is no debris or other extraneous items preventing the bearings from seating properly in the grips, the only reason the grips bind when the hub bolts are fully tightened is that the hub spigots are too short, or the grips too long.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:27 PM
Joined Sep 2012
10 Posts
Recently had a similar issue, there were very thin spacer washers between the outer bearing and the grip. It looked like one on each side, but it turned out there were two shims on one side causing the binding problem.
AlarmedBread is offline Find More Posts by AlarmedBread
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:53 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
This is the EXi metal tail assy.

I have another post where I said that it suddenly started to rotate on the tail boom at rpm. It was while I was debating different solutions to that that I noticed one blade holder could slide on the rotor. I never actually removed everything - just the screw, added loctite, and tried to tighten it up and found the binding. I just disassembled both sides and they are the same as the align manual except there are two washers below the outer bearing as indicated by a red arrow. if I remove one washer, I can make it tight and everything moves free. Same on both sides. I'm thinkin' they had a reason to put them there, but maybe it should only be 1 - they do stick together so it would be easy to screw up put in 2.
I won't do final re-assy until I hear either sounds right or don't do it, but I'm thinkin' one washer instead of two?

AlarmedBread - just saw your addition- it sounds like you're using 1 washer and it's ok with that?
And are you David Gates? Aubry is one of my favorite songs.
Last edited by karlik; Nov 13, 2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:23 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,126 Posts
I called it on it being an exi with extra spacers though huh?

Build it just like the align manual and check for play after by pulling the grips apart. If there's no play you're good to go. My exi tail was the same way, extra spacers right next to each other. Exi is funny, in my head I had washers on one side but not the opposite side on various parts, kind of threw off the symmetry.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:57 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,656 Posts
Quote:
I called it on it being an exi with extra spacers though huh?

Build it just like the align manual and check for play after by pulling the grips apart. If there's no play you're good to go. My exi tail was the same way, extra spacers right next to each other. Exi is funny, in my head I had washers on one side but not the opposite side on various parts, kind of threw off the symmetry.
So EXI add washers to their tail grip assembly? Leaving the washers out, you could easily file down the rotor hub to achieve zero play without using the washers.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:02 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
I put it together with one washer, that alllowed me get it tight with no binding. I wanted the loctite to have overnight to setup.

Took it out this morning - as far as the blade holder/washer delima it seems fine.
My original problem was the entire rotor assy twisting on the boom - I used a wrap of scotch tape on the boom. When I do a repair like this, I like to do some testing rather than just start flying around so I went into a tail in hover for about a minute and watched for anything wrong in the tail. Landed, checked for anything loose, looked ok so I did another short hover. Still looked ok and thiught I'd do a little easy movement. I rotated the nose to about 2 oclock and back, then to about 10 oclock and back, and was going to do some gentle forward flight - and suddenly had no rudder response. On the ground I move the stick far left and right and the servo does nothing. Either a loose connection, bad servo or the gyro. My frustration level has pretty much peaked and if I mess with right now I'll just make things worse so it's on the shelf at least until tomorrow.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:01 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlik View Post
I put it together with one washer, that alllowed me get it tight with no binding. I wanted the loctite to have overnight to setup.

Took it out this morning - as far as the blade holder/washer delima it seems fine.
My original problem was the entire rotor assy twisting on the boom - I used a wrap of scotch tape on the boom. When I do a repair like this, I like to do some testing rather than just start flying around so I went into a tail in hover for about a minute and watched for anything wrong in the tail. Landed, checked for anything loose, looked ok so I did another short hover. Still looked ok and thiught I'd do a little easy movement. I rotated the nose to about 2 oclock and back, then to about 10 oclock and back, and was going to do some gentle forward flight - and suddenly had no rudder response. On the ground I move the stick far left and right and the servo does nothing. Either a loose connection, bad servo or the gyro. My frustration level has pretty much peaked and if I mess with right now I'll just make things worse so it's on the shelf at least until tomorrow.
I leave the scotch tape sticking out of the boom block a bit, and mark the junction with the boom block with pencil line. Then you have an easy visual if things move.

The first thing you should have checked when you landed after the rudder gave up was the temperature of the tail servo. They usually overheat before they fail.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:03 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,126 Posts
I get that frustrated too, the same way. These helis are like women... exactly, never ending maintenance but hard to live without. I take days off sometimes from helis all together especially when there's a problem.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:29 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,656 Posts
Landing light district...

Quote:
I get that frustrated too, the same way. These helis are like women... exactly, never ending maintenance but hard to live without.
Just make sure you don't get seen going to that shady part of town where you can pay to fly a heli.....
RCG Plus Member