HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:15 AM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,280 Posts
The seam on the rear Center Section Wing saddle of mine was split when it first arrived so I did something similar to mount the Wing... great minds think alike, eh Ralph?
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:45 PM
More Speed Indeed!
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2007
1,020 Posts
[QUOTE=CRCJA;22654948]Mike, Here is the picture of the Wing mounts, I removed the ones in the front of the plane so I can put off the (local) shelf hardware.

Ralph,

Looks pretty strong to me, much better than it was when we received our kits. I like the bags on the F86, I did'nt know you were a seamstress as well
Looking forward to your maiden Sunday!
Mike
Hossinarizona is online now Find More Posts by Hossinarizona
Old Sep 09, 2012, 03:02 AM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,977 Posts
Retracts.

Well, here is the part where I say I am glad I made the retract mount removable, I had installed the air lines backwards. I always use clear line for Brakes, Fill valve and tanks. I followed the pictures from Vic's plane and the retracts would go up but never come back down I took out the valve and reversed the lines and they now magically work. Likewise, I always try to use the same air valve when possible, but I only had one spare sitting around for a couple years and it leaks, so tomorrow I will use the HET one.

Ralph
CRCJA is offline Find More Posts by CRCJA
Old Sep 09, 2012, 08:54 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,977 Posts
It Flies!!!

Well, my Sniper XL has taken flight, need to check the steering and center the elevators more properly, I had to use all the left trim I could throw at it, plus a couple of clicks of up elevator. My CG for the test flight was right around the 4 inch mark, so I will shift the RX battery forward. YES, the elevator and the plane are still in one piece.

Ralph
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:07 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRCJA View Post
Well, my Sniper XL has taken flight, .......I had to use all the left trim I could throw at it, plus a couple of clicks of up elevator. My CG for the test flight was right around the 4 inch mark, so I will shift the RX battery forward. ........
Something about that statement makes me wonder, shouldn't the weight shift be aft to compensate for up elevator trim?
GregG is online now Find More Posts by GregG
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:16 AM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
Ah, aerodynamics

Good to hear the XL works! I still haven't bothered to get my old SS90 airborne...
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:14 AM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,977 Posts
Nope

The manual says the CG should be 3 1/4 to 3 3/4 and my CG was very little past the 4 Inch mark. The Up elevator is related to the neutral point on the elevators or aileron/flap neutral point. One of the local guys took a video with an iPad, while not a great video, I will try to upload it. I was so busy flying I didn't set a timer and ran out of juice at the 3 minute mark but that was because of two power test and one aborted take off. With the 8S 4400 shifted as forward as possible and the RX battery moved from the intakes to under the canopy. Also you might recall, this is not a production stab, this one is heavier adding to my tail weight.

Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregG View Post
Something about that statement makes me wonder, shouldn't the weight shift be aft to compensate for up elevator trim?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:02 AM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,977 Posts
Video

iPad video of the Sniper XL, maybe only one good video pass when I do a slow roll. HET 1500, Jet 90 Fan and 8S 4400.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw5Lx2JQ-Go

Ralph
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:10 AM
More Speed Indeed!
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2007
1,020 Posts
[QUOTE=CRCJA;22692378]iPad video of the Sniper XL, maybe only one good video pass when I do a slow roll. HET 1500, Jet 90 Fan and 8S 4400.

I am blaming it on the clouds, plus the Sniper is gray in color, that's the story and I am sticking with it . Ralph did a great job considering this was a maiden, the wind was gusting between 15 & 20 mph, and then he ran out of power on final!
Hossinarizona is online now Find More Posts by Hossinarizona
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:26 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,977 Posts
Right Trim

Small Correction, I had to use all the RIGHT trim available, you can see the airplane Dip LEFT right at take off. Yeah, I too blame Mike for the Video, I will help out and say in his defense. I wanted to keep the airplane a little high while I played with the elevator and Aileron Trim. As far as the battery, there was two other run, ups plus a minute or two of Runway time before the flight, so with my 4400, three minutes is what I will set my timer to (which I forgot to set off for the maiden ) I was either busy with trim or too busy enjoying the flight, it felt like I was up there for 30 seconds

Ralph
Old Sep 10, 2012, 01:21 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,015 Posts
i run 5000's in my similar setup, i get 5 min with 20% left, but im very good at throttle control.
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Sep 10, 2012, 01:36 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,977 Posts
Throttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
im very good at throttle control.
Hey Brent, Me too, I Jam the stick up and it stays there, I am in full control All kidding aside, I took off in full throttle, then came back to about 80% while adjusting the trim, you can hear the Trim cliks on the video since they are digital and loud for verification. I ran it fine at home, but when it came to this flight the throttle was set to soft start, man, can you say slow spool up!!!!!. I must have set it to soft start up with the throttle stick while I was playing with the settings on the table. I did not have a castle link at the field, so I was not going to let that stop me from flying.

Ralph
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:25 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,280 Posts
Ralph,
Feel free to move the CG a little further aft.
The absolute Aft Limit we've found is 4.5" back from LE. I like to fly it as far aft as possible.

Vic
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:01 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,977 Posts
Cg

VIC,

The problem is that IT IS already very close to or at 4.5

Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceMigKiller View Post
Ralph,
Feel free to move the CG a little further aft.
The absolute Aft Limit we've found is 4.5" back from LE. I like to fly it as far aft as possible.

Vic
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:21 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
1,058 Posts
good video and sounds nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRCJA View Post
iPad video of the Sniper XL, maybe only one good video pass when I do a slow roll. HET 1500, Jet 90 Fan and 8S 4400.

Ralph
spyda00 is offline Find More Posts by spyda00