HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2010, 06:40 PM
United States, CT, Guilford
Joined Nov 2008
1,419 Posts
got mine 90% done, final touches will have to wait til tomorrow. all that i have left is to stuff the esc's/wires under those covers, bolt on the wing, touch up a scuff or two, and finish the decals (using left overs). might get a chance to maiden as well.
rob737 is offline Find More Posts by rob737
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2010, 06:47 PM
Joined Mar 2010
220 Posts
[QUOTE=xplaneguy;14561076]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAGI CRAZEE View Post
zagi - I purchased my PnP A380 from Banana Hobby and I believe it's made by Windrider/Blitz RC Works. I haven't been able to fly A380 or finish painting my AC-47 outside due to the strong winds here in the High Desert. It's literally howling outside right now. Unfortunantely, this will continue off and on for 4 months. The good news is better conditions are forecasted during the next 4 days. This weekend, my #1 priority is to finish painting the Spooky! After completion, if wind conditions are right, I'll fly the AC-47 & Airbus. Fingers crossed.

A380 link:
http://www.bananahobby.com/2009.html

Best,
Tony
Post pics of ur A380 when u get a chance cause that is something I'm looking at too
sh1bby69 is offline Find More Posts by sh1bby69
Old Mar 10, 2010, 06:56 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,508 Posts
[QUOTE=sh1bby69;14561261]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplaneguy View Post

Post pics of ur A380 when u get a chance cause that is something I'm looking at too
Just click on XPLANEGUY and you'll see the pics on my blog.

Regards,
Tony
xplaneguy is offline Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:13 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,419 Posts
managed to finish mine after all. i painted it in my garage, after making a booth with the huge box this thing came in! hoping to maiden tomorrow. i think this is the largest model i have, already nervous about flying it!

rob
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:30 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,508 Posts
rob- Very nice! Way to represent the WWII Vets! Good luck with the maiden.

Good luck,
Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:48 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,419 Posts
thanks tony! it really is neat to build a model of a plane that has always been a favorite. can't wait to fly it! i also can't wait to see yours!

rob
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:48 PM
Joined Mar 2010
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob737 View Post
managed to finish mine after all. i painted it in my garage, after making a booth with the huge box this thing came in! hoping to maiden tomorrow. i think this is the largest model i have, already nervous about flying it!

rob

Looks good!! BTW if you can film your maiden flight tomorrow that would be awesome. I'm going to try and film mine as well. Just waiting for the winds to die down. I know what you mean about being nervous. I too am nervous about flying since I put in all the work into making it the way it is. Just for a little more security I went out and bought myself a new Aero Sport 5 5Ch 2.4Ghz radio at hobby people. It was on sale for 59.99.
Last edited by sh1bby69; Mar 11, 2010 at 01:35 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 04:51 AM
Flick lives
beautiful, picturesque Southern New Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2008
473 Posts
Quote:

rob
Beautiful job, rob737! I see you even gave it deicing boots all around. Maiden will be fine...When you land, just keep the nose up at the touchdown point, so the props don't strike the runway.
BladeHead is offline Find More Posts by BladeHead
Old Mar 11, 2010, 07:27 AM
Joined Nov 2008
1,419 Posts
thanks fellows. the deicing boots are simply strips of electrical tape. i remember your point about the small ammount of prop clearence, so three-point landings are the plan. weather is fine here this morning, should be able to take her out a little bit later. i don't have a video cam, so unable to take video. sorry! i'll see if my wife will come and then maybe i can get some stills while it's flying.

rob
Last edited by rob737; Mar 11, 2010 at 07:33 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 09:48 AM
Central Ohio
Joined Apr 2009
210 Posts
I have not even built mine yet, but my brain is thinking 7x4 3 blade props to replace the 8x4 2 blade props to help with the prop ground clearance. I guess I should wait until it is built and watt it to make comparisons of both prop set-ups. Any thoughts on this?
fotowiz is offline Find More Posts by fotowiz
Old Mar 11, 2010, 09:55 AM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
I have not been on the thread a few days. Checking out everyones pictures and they all look great. Man I dont need another plane. I already have two C-47's and one is still in the box...lol But this foamy would be so fun to custom up.
Lithonion is offline Find More Posts by Lithonion
Old Mar 11, 2010, 10:50 AM
Joined Mar 2010
220 Posts
For those who would like one but can't get one from NitroPlanes.com here are kits for it: http://www.caliberhobby.com/c47_kits.html

I'll see what I can do today. I may take my plane out and fly and have my gf film it.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 02:32 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,419 Posts
those are the gws kits. that plane has a few quirks, if anybody is interested in that one it's well worth reading through the threads before you build and fly it.

ok fellows, i think i have the dubious honor of being the first one to crash this plane!. here's what happaned: not sure why, but my plane took a serious ammount of weight to make it balance, and only just barely at the rearward part of the c.g. envelope. where it balanced was nagging at me, but i really did not want to add anymore weight. took it out for it's maiden. it was pretty windy, borderline for a maiden but it was constant and right down the runway. i pushed the power up and it took off in just a few feet, practically no ground roll. it went almost strait up, but stalled at about 15 feet despite my attempts to level it off. damage was slight, broken wing tip (very clean break and an easy fix) and a broken prop. i think my main problem was that the c.g was off.

the wing tip got epoxied back on. i had to throw a couple of gws ep 8060 props on since i didn't have any stock spares. those i trimmed back about !/4 inch to gain more prop clearence. and then i balanced it to the forward edge of the c.g envelope.

i took it back out and it flew great! now a little asthetic work on the scuffs and she'll be good as new. i was very happy with how it flew, the second time!
Old Mar 11, 2010, 03:05 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,508 Posts
Quote:
those are the gws kits. that plane has a few quirks, if anybody is interested in that one it's well worth reading through the threads before you build and fly it.

ok fellows, i think i have the dubious honor of being the first one to crash this plane!. here's what happaned: not sure why, but my plane took a serious ammount of weight to make it balance, and only just barely at the rearward part of the c.g. envelope. where it balanced was nagging at me, but i really did not want to add anymore weight. took it out for it's maiden. it was pretty windy, borderline for a maiden but it was constant and right down the runway. i pushed the power up and it took off in just a few feet, practically no ground roll. it went almost strait up, but stalled at about 15 feet despite my attempts to level it off. damage was slight, broken wing tip (very clean break and an easy fix) and a broken prop. i think my main problem was that the c.g was off.

the wing tip got epoxied back on. i had to throw a couple of gws ep 8060 props on since i didn't have any stock spares. those i trimmed back about !/4 inch to gain more prop clearence. and then i balanced it to the forward edge of the c.g envelope.

i took it back out and it flew great! now a little asthetic work on the scuffs and she'll be good as new. i was very happy with how it flew, the second time!
rob- glad to hear that the second flight was successful. How much weight did you add and did you use the stock battery? Where did you place the additional weight?

Best,
Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2010, 04:15 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,419 Posts
thanks, tony. i did use the stock pack. i can tell you roughly how much weight i added, but i don't have a scale so you'll have to bare with me if you can. it took nine .45 cal. lead balls to achieve balance. those balls are the type used in reproduction cap and ball pistols. sorry, but i don't know how much they weigh! i put most of them in the most forward cut outs in the foam alongside the pack (i made fences with packing tape to hold them in). i also bored out some foam as far forward as i dared and inserted a few more, also covering those with tape. i think in addition to the aft c.g. the wind may have played a part in my crash. it really jumped off the ground, perhaps before i was ready for it.

it really flew well with the gws props. they might be good spares, i'll throw my wattmeter on it later and post some numbers.

the worst part of the day is that my wife actually came with me this time to try and take some pics! some pilot i am, ha ha......