SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 06, 2014, 04:08 PM
veni,vidi, roto volubilis
Aberdeen, Scotland
Joined Jul 2003
6,959 Posts
well sorry for the slow updates but i've been held up with this build for various reasons, anyway before i got to painting i had to make up the l/g covers, what i did was to take a picture of a full scale fw's l/g covers and traced the cover in illustrator to make a vector file that i could scale to suit,

i then printed that out and used it as a template to cut some plastic sheet to shape, which i then heated a little to take on the correct curve. lastly i then cut out some of the wing so that the covers sit flush with the wing surface when they are closed

once they were out of the way it was on to the painting, i decided in the end just to do heinz bar's main kite red 13 instead of red 23, so with that descision made i set about i making up a full set of vector files to make decals for it, thankfully when it came to the tricky knights cross with oak leaves and swords 200 kills marking on the tail GorrillaBob kindly shared one he had been working on here >> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=954 which saved me a lot of work. i have all those finished now and i printed them out this afternoon, so i'll get them clearcoated tomorrow and on to the plane, i had to reprint the '13' decals a few times till i was happy with the match of the red colour to the rlm23 red but i'm now happy enough with the match, the tail decals and the 13 are on a clear sheet and the balks and nose art on a white sheet.

i will attach the ai files that include all decals and the l/g covers to this post, these are all correctly scaled for the gws fw190 but as they are vectors you can scale them to suit any size fw. anyway here is where i am up to now and i'll post some more once i've finished her off

phil

[edit]
i could't attache the ai files directly so i had to zip them and attach the zip file
[/edit]
Happy|Harry is offline Find More Posts by Happy|Harry
Last edited by Happy|Harry; Jun 08, 2014 at 06:29 PM. Reason: added files
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2014, 06:38 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,688 Posts
I did almost exactly the same as you in terms of gear doors and decals for my Tian Sheng FW-190. This was a very cheapI plane, costing less than $50 delivered - now discontinued but she still flies

I printed the decals on either white or clear decal paper. I found all of them easy enough to apply except for the swastikas. For those I used photo paper. Best of luck

p.s. the spinner on mine is the top from a bottle of Dove deo.
richard9999 is offline Find More Posts by richard9999
Last edited by richard9999; Jun 06, 2014 at 06:45 PM.
Old Jun 07, 2014, 02:49 AM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,453 Posts
Looking great Phil. Looking forwards to news on the maiden.

The good news is that my cowl arrived from RadicalRC some time ago now - excellent service from Dave once again.

Sadly not good news from HK - the retracts are still on backorder :roll eyes:

I am sure that the new cowl is definitely a thicker/heavier plastic this time around - I'm still going to fibreglass it again in any case as with the shortened nose a fair amount of ballast is required. May as well have it doing some good then just coming along for the ride.

A couple of questions about the wheel covers - what sort or plastic did you use and what size paper should the pattern be printed on for the correct size? A4?

I'll get onto the FW once I clear some other projects (and the retracts are back in stock). Currently modifying an Alfa Corsair for flaps and retracts.
CaseySP is offline Find More Posts by CaseySP
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Alfa Corsair Retracts again
Old Jun 07, 2014, 05:03 PM
Aberdeen, Scotland
Joined Jul 2003
6,959 Posts
richard9999 that's a bargain for an fw190, what size wingspan was it? nice work with the decals also, and smart thinking with the spinner!

CaseySP thanks bud, it looks like i just got the retracts at the right time eh! yeah when i checked the cowl in this kit i wondered why people were saying it was too thin, but i surely got the newer thicker version right enough.

for the wheel covers the plastic i used is from a plastic document folder, something like this >> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/File-Docum...item3cdd29de97 but in clear. but as your painting them the colour choice isn't too critical, and yeah all of the decals and l/g covers should be printed on A4 paper.

i look forward to seeing your FW build, they are certainly a rare breed nowadays

also if anyone has downloaded the decal zip you might want to download it again as i have made some changes to the colours, and also resized the registration number as it was too big, i also changed the swastika as it turned out a little thick when i left a white border on it.

phil
Old Jun 08, 2014, 05:10 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,688 Posts
It's 1,000 mm w/s. It was indeed a bargain, maybe 3 years ago, but it was a lot of work to turn a sows ear into a silk purse. The Dove deo top spinner wasn't my idea. It fits an HK 30mm collet spinner backplate, but you need a lathe to accurately drill that to take a fixing screw. Looking forward to seeing yours when finished. Mine likes to be nose heavy if anything when flying and absolutely not tail heavy.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 04:47 PM
Aberdeen, Scotland
Joined Jul 2003
6,959 Posts
well she's ready for her maiden tomorrow, and once that's past i will finish her off properly, as i still need to paint the canopy frames on the outside, you can see in the pics being painted on the inside is doing strange things to the colour, considering it's painted in the same rlm74 as the immediate surrounding parts. also i still need to give the whole plane a coat of matt clear to seal in the decals.

so wish me luck for a successful maiden guys!

phil
Old Jun 14, 2014, 05:10 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,688 Posts
Looks great Phil. I may re-motor mine as I officially retired my Art Tech Spitfire yesterday and now have it's slightly heavier 4S capabale motor for re-use. I think mine would benefit from a bit more fwd weight.

For detail like the cockpit lines, if you don't have some already, this HK masking tape, in various widths, is excellent as it never tears off existing acrylic paint. Well worth adding to a future order.

Good luck with the maiden. I will be detailing my Dynam Tiger Moth quite soon after it's successful maiden.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 05:38 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,518 Posts
Good luck Harry. Nice bird. Is that the Flyzone FW spinner? I have one of those for my GWS FW if I ever get around to completing it.

Alan
GiusedtoBe is online now Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old Jun 14, 2014, 07:14 PM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,453 Posts
Looks great Phil! What's the ready to fly weight? Chris F did one a while back with retracts, flaps and silkspan finish that was about 1.1kg. He reported it flew very well despite the weight with no bad tendencies - until a faulty servo claimed it .

The trick is to get it balance right. With the shortened nose I used up all the GWS supplied clay ballast, have the ESC inside the cowl and have the battery (3S 2200mAh) moved as far forwards as possible by removing some foam at the front of the battery compartment. It balances nicely on the spar and has extremely benign flight characteristics, almost to the point where it has to be forced into a spin
CaseySP is offline Find More Posts by CaseySP
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Alfa Corsair Retracts again
Old Jun 20, 2014, 03:16 PM
Aberdeen, Scotland
Joined Jul 2003
6,959 Posts
thanks guys, the weather was against me last weekend so no maiden yet, but tomorrow is looking good so fingers crossed.

GuisedtoBe it's from the parkzone fw190

Casey she's 731g all up but without the battery, which is either 190g for a 20C turnigy 3s2200 or 170g for a 25C nanotech 3s2200. so between 901-921g rtf which puts me just on or just infront of the spar. i too have the esc in the nose and i've not needed any extra nose weight to balance her out.

here's some pics of most of the electronics install

hopefully she has the same docile characteristics as yours casey

phil
Old Jul 12, 2014, 02:24 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,369 Posts
Trying out a APC 11x7 prop on the EPO FW190.
FW190 EPO GWS (3 min 52 sec)
semperfi1970 is offline Find More Posts by semperfi1970