SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 04, 2002, 09:30 PM
Ahhgh! Not ANOTHER new plane!
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2001
2,731 Posts
Help!
Pleaser 2

Maybe someone with more electrical expertise can help me.

I recently bought a NES Pleaser 2. It's ad calaimed great climbs, etc., and given the 340 sq in wing with 2 geared 280's, it seemed reasonable that it would be an aggressive performer.

However, such is not the case. It' ROG's ok at the start of the battery cycle, but then seems to lose it's oomph. This is very unscientific, but it's a much poorer performer than my Mini-Max.

The Mini-Max has 1 280 with a 2.5:1 gearbox, run by a 7 cell 270 mah battery.

The Pleaser 2 has 2 280's with 4:1 gearboxes, run by a 500mah 7 cell battery. For this I would expect slow speed. but great traction (i.e. climbs), but this is not the case.

The Mini-Max runs longer, with more power throughout the cycle, and climbs more quickly.

The Pleaser 2 draws around 5 amps - does that seem right, with the 2 motors? Sal @ NES said it needed a 15 amp minimum ESC, which I'm using.

I called them, and they said "make sure the drive wasn't slipping". Nice advice, but that was the first thing I'd already checked. It can only slip at the pinion gear or at the propellor hub, and no they weren't. They also said the 500mah battery wasn't powerful enough, which is interesting considering the website recommends a 350 mah 7 cell battery.

When the plane costs 3 times as much as a beginner plane, and performs poorer, I'm disappointed.

Sal; I know you monitor these boards - if you have a comment, I'd welcome it.
Robert Stinson is offline Find More Posts by Robert Stinson
to remove ads between posts