SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 06, 2014, 02:54 PM
Joined Jun 2005
80 Posts
Discussion
frsky D4r-ii failsafe... pulling my hair out

Hello everyone.
I have a d4r-ii which I updated to the 27us firmware.
I'm using it in cppm on a pixhawk FC.
I spent all day trying to set failsafe so that it doesn't outputs any signal, to no avail....
It's very frustrating... I tried every possible thing. I re-bound the tx several times, I removed the cppm jumper when pressing the failsafe button, still not working...
If my taranis is on while I press the failsafe button on d4r-ii, it works as expected, receiver saves sticks position and if I turn the taranis off, the channels jump to the right position.
The problem is when I turn my taranis off, press failsafe button and nothing happens, this time, failsafe simply keeps last known sticks position.

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks in advance to those who will enlighten me!
iacopo is offline Find More Posts by iacopo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2014, 03:03 PM
United States, UT, Herriman
Joined Jan 2012
2,202 Posts
I've never done it, but this thread seems to have the answer...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1666666

Bind the RX (to clear failsafe)
Turn off both RX and TX
power the RX, press the RX button briefly, power off

Power both up, get control from the TX, then turn off the TX for testing.

I don't know if your FC supports it, but you might try setting up failsafe on a channel position and switch on the Taranis. Make sure it works, then use the "saved position" failsafe with that switch on.
ttabbal is online now Find More Posts by ttabbal
Old Jun 07, 2014, 02:35 AM
Joined Jun 2005
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttabbal View Post
I've never done it, but this thread seems to have the answer...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1666666

Bind the RX (to clear failsafe)
Turn off both RX and TX
power the RX, press the RX button briefly, power off

Power both up, get control from the TX, then turn off the TX for testing.

I don't know if your FC supports it, but you might try setting up failsafe on a channel position and switch on the Taranis. Make sure it works, then use the "saved position" failsafe with that switch on.
Unfortunately I've done what you said multiple times, but nothing ever happens, my failsafe still uses the last known stick position.
This is so frustrating!!

p.s. I get exactly the same behavior with a D8R-II plus
iacopo is offline Find More Posts by iacopo
Old Jun 07, 2014, 02:42 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,960 Posts
Maybe this is a "feature" of 27ms firmware... I don't intend to flash a receiver just to find, for me stock 18ms firmware works without issues, if wisely planned channels usage
The question is if you really need the 27ms CPPM, or you read too much and got the other worry as yours. In real world the 18ms works without issues for almost all cases.
Also, why don't you use a specific channel value failsafe instead agonizing for signal lack ?
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Oct 02, 2014, 06:51 AM
Joined Feb 2013
153 Posts
Did you manage to solve the problem?
Upgraded to the 27 ms firmware a couple of days ago and Im having the exact same issue,
Tried rebinding multiple times its just not working.
Randulf is online now Find More Posts by Randulf
Old Oct 02, 2014, 08:08 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,331 Posts
Are you sure the RX you mention has the ability to quit giving out signals when it does not recieve valid signals?

It is my understanding that it can only be set to the following options in the case of not recieving valid signals:
a) give out signal that were the last valid signals (hold)
b) give out signals that were programmed in previously (FailSafe)

This description matches option b) precisely:

Quote:
If my taranis is on while I press the failsafe button on d4r-ii, it works as expected, receiver saves sticks position and if I turn the taranis off, the channels jump to the right position.
Julez is online now Find More Posts by Julez
Old Oct 02, 2014, 08:52 AM
Joined Feb 2013
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez View Post
Are you sure the RX you mention has the ability to quit giving out signals when it does not recieve valid signals?

It is my understanding that it can only be set to the following options in the case of not recieving valid signals:
a) give out signal that were the last valid signals (hold)
b) give out signals that were programmed in previously (FailSafe)

This description matches option b) precisely:
No, the D4R-II has two failsafe options.
Option 1: User-determined state on lost signal
Option 2: No pulses on lost signal

If failsafe is not set the default behavior is to hold last position before signal was lost.
Old Oct 02, 2014, 09:30 AM
Joined Feb 2013
153 Posts
Finally!! After like 20 attempts I got it working.
Didnt press briefly on the f/s button but held it pressed down for a couple of seconds.
Turns out you cant really trust the bars in the failsafe setup in mission planner.
You actually have to arm give a little throttle and then turn of you transmitter and see it switch mode to RTL or Land.