HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2014, 08:31 AM
Bloomfield, IN
Joined Nov 2006
928 Posts
I thought I had all my GWS planes in the picture but I left out ME-262. Also have a new P-38 to build.
degreen60 is offline Find More Posts by degreen60
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2014, 08:33 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,369 Posts
Very cool collection you have. Great looking birds, love the detail.

Now if I could see Quizcat's AT-6 built and flying my day would be complete

We are a small GWS crowd anymore folks. I wonder if it makes us elitist
semperfi1970 is offline Find More Posts by semperfi1970
Old Oct 08, 2014, 06:28 AM
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Jan 2010
624 Posts
I know...I have had so much other stuff I've had to do over the summer. I have not made it to the flying field once during the summer...and, it is now fall, the best time of year to fly!!! And, here I sit in a hotel room on biz South of the border...

I'll probably complete the build of the AT6 this winter, and when I do, I'm sure I'll be dying to fly it. But, it'll probably be -10 degrees outside when I do finish it, and I'll be (SOL) until Spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by semperfi1970 View Post
Now if I could see Quizcat's AT-6 built and flying my day would be complete

We are a small GWS crowd anymore folks. I wonder if it makes us elitist
QuizCat is offline Find More Posts by QuizCat
Last edited by QuizCat; Oct 08, 2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old Oct 08, 2014, 07:43 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,369 Posts
Glad to hear from you Quiz I too have slowed down my flying for now anyways. Not how much I fly but how fast the planes fly Here is my latest venture into high altitude slow flight. It is a 120" powered glider with 1700 watts of power in the nose floating around a 5000mah 4s battery for a AUW of 7 pounds 4 ounces. It is a real floater in the true sense.
Old Oct 09, 2014, 07:17 AM
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Jan 2010
624 Posts
Wow, that photo really illustrates just how wide a wing span that bird has! It seems that you're always pushing the envelope, speed demon one day, and floater the next, which keeps it all interesting, doesn't it? I admire that you're always experimenting with different platforms, pushing them to the limits.

In my case, I find myself flitting between so many different projects and hobbies, that I am often distracted, sometimes for months at a time, which you've witnessed with respect to the AT6 and it's slow progress, not to mention the affects upon my time from the work and travel schedule, and lets not forget the "honey do's."

Quote:
Glad to hear from you Quiz I too have slowed down my flying for now anyways. Not how much I fly but how fast the planes fly Here is my latest venture into high altitude slow flight. It is a 120" powered glider with 1700 watts of power in the nose floating around a 5000mah 4s battery for a AUW of 7 pounds 4 ounces. It is a real floater in the true sense.
Old Oct 09, 2014, 08:53 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,369 Posts
Quiz, I suffer from short attention span disorder when it comes to my hobbies. My wife tells me that I change my hobbies like some folks change their underwear. RC planes have stuck with me since I was around 7 or 8 years old now so she can stuff it

You gotta find a balance between work, play, hobbies and relaxation. I have become a master at this practice I have the wife fooled that one of my hobbies is necessary to my work and one in the same so there for it is not a hobby but a necessary evil. That makes my other hobbies like RC planes necessary to maintain my sanity and mental well being. See I get two for the price of one and she is none the wiser. I work for the worlds foremost airgun manufacture. This allows me to play all day (well sorta) and relax all night. Here is the trick. When I come home from work and it is nice out I go flying as the wife knows I need to blow off some steam because my job is stressful. When it is not good flying weather I grab an airgun and head down to my indoor range as I need to perform some research and development for work When it is good flying weather and I do not feel like flying I head to the backyard to perform some more R&D work. There are even days where I need to go to the gun club for further testing of company product and have a beer or two. The wife is in the lending industry and I tell her she is lucky that she doesn't have to bring work home every night like I have to See Quiz, give me a little bit and I can come up with an angle for you to convince the wife that the honey do crap should be contracted out Truth be known the wife is very tolerant of my antics and just goes along with my crap As one would guess I also collect airguns, here is around 1/10th of my collection. If I had to guess I would dare to say that I have well over 200 airguns and still counting. Here is what a high end airgun is capable of offhand at 20 yards. I have airguns that I shoot accurately out to 200 yards and are capable of hunting medium deer sized game with out to a humane distance of 100 yards. Man I love my hobbies.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 04:53 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,462 Posts
semperfi1970,

Does this mean that you don't have to carry any firearm permit since they are air guns?

Very neat collection, nonetheless. You are a lucky man.

Also, what sort of airplanes are these? Do you still have them?
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2014, 09:15 AM
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Jan 2010
624 Posts
Sorry, off the subject of RC...

My list of distractions includes a desire to build on limited experience growing certain things in a vegetable garden, and I don't even like gardening much. But, with last year's harsh winter, and my being cooped up over the entire winter, I guess I was so elated to be outside for a change that I decided this summer to jump in wholeheartedly to begin building on my experience with certain vegetables. Specifically, I realized that successfully growing corn is something that requires quite a bit of actual experience, and mine was limited. Additionally, I wanted to produce some pumpkins for the grand kids to choose from at Halloween, my never having grown pumpkins before.

Much of the vegetable garden, with the exception of tomatoes, which I have grown numerous times during my life, was to grow corn, bush beans, watermelons, peppers, and lettuce, some of these for the first time, and some of them my having some experience over the years. With some of these varieties I realized I needed to build upon what experience I had, some probably requiring several years of experimentation to get it right in the long run. So, I jumped in...but, it turned out to be pretty time consuming.

The pumpkin patch photos below illustrate the size of the pasture, a pretty decent place to fly RC when it's cut. Because of the pumpkin patch, I kept up with maintaining the pasture areas pretty well this summer so I could get to the pumpkin patch to tend it. If maintained, it would have provided a perfect flying field environment, but I was so distracted otherwise, that I have totally neglected the RC hobby last summer even with it nicely cut. But, I still have some of the fall season left, and if I can find the time with all the distractions, I just might make it out there yet.

Name: 20141005_152341 (Small).jpg
Views: 6
Size: 240.4 KB
Description: Pumpkins Ready to Pick in about 1 week...
The Pumpkins are about ready to harvest, within maybe another week or so...

Name: 20140912_164851 (Small).jpg
Views: 4
Size: 67.0 KB
Description: Black Diamond Watermelon
Black Diamond Watermelon

Name: 20140912_164722 (Small).jpg
Views: 5
Size: 116.1 KB
Description:
Red/Green Peppers

Quote:
Quiz, I suffer from short attention span disorder when it comes to my hobbies.
Last edited by QuizCat; Oct 10, 2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 03:13 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,369 Posts
Pitts the planes are EPO GWS Corsairs and I still fly them from time to time. Currently I am on a sailplane kick and have found good times soaring with the local Bald Eagles that nest near my flying site. The Corsairs are my pylon racing planes and fun fly planes I run on 4s to 6s. The yellow one I push to 1000 watts and the orange one is in the 1200 watt range. The airguns require no form of government regulation as they are not considered firearms. Due to the nature of my work and my past life I do have a rather interesting assortment of toys, lets leave it at that shall we

Quiz, gardening is cool man. love it. I grew up in western NY and after a stint with the Marine Corps and as a U.S. Marshal I (my wife) decided to slow down my lifestyle a bit so I returned back to where I grew up to raise my family. I live in farm land USA and grew up working on potato farms and once my sister married a dairy farmer I took the rout of helping out there as well. I am no stranger to agriculture but have no patience for it myself, god bless you for your patience Very cool that you are into gardening my friend. Potato's are very easy to grow and store for the winter months, give them a try next year.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 03:19 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,462 Posts
Wow! Great 1-Kilo-Watt Corsair, BATMAN!

Enjoy, semperfi1970
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2014, 08:06 AM
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Jan 2010
624 Posts
Well, as long as I have some nice equipment to do the job, and take a lot of the work out of it, like the nice 5' pull behind tiller I bought for the tractor this year, then I'm ok with the gardening process. It's when I have to get behind the walk behind tiller when contemplating a larger size garden...that's where you start losing me

I thought about potatoes this year, but ran out of time to get them in the ground. Plus, they say that you should order them for planting specifically...They say you shouldn't use them from the store because the ones in the store have been treated to inhibit the growth of the eyes so they keep longer in transit, etc...So, I failed to get the potato cultivars on order soon enough because I learned that too late, unfortunately. I'll probably try them next planting season.

With the weather last spring being so cold, I didn't get things in the ground as early as I would have liked. I realize now how important the time table is with respect to getting everything in the ground on time. The only thing that was really on time this last planting season were the Bush Beans, Tomatoes, and Peppers. The Pumpkins were on time if you're shooting for Halloween. They were planted July 4th, and they'll be ready to harvest just in time for Halloween.

Plus, the garden was getting too big as it was, and I was trying to keep all the armies of deer out of the garden, which was a monumental project in and of itself. I gained a lot of experience doing that, and working with electric fence to keep the racoons off the corn, etc...The garden just happens to be right along a frequently traveled deer path, one that's probably been there forever. Major, major challenge keeping the varmints off the garden. The larger the garden is, the more significant the amount of work that is generated in constructing effective fencing to keep all the critters at bay. So, working the garden isn't so bad, it's the huge amount of work involved in securing the garden that kills me.

Quote:
I am no stranger to agriculture but have no patience for it myself, god bless you for your patience Very cool that you are into gardening my friend.
Last edited by QuizCat; Oct 11, 2014 at 08:24 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 07:06 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,369 Posts
Hey Quiz, buying seed potato's is an easy answer for sure. You can buy local grown potatoes like road side vegetable stand ones as well for seed. If you do plant next year remember it takes part of a potato not a whole potato to get them to sprout. Depending on your soil type and variety of potato you choose will have differing success. If your soil is rocky you will not have great success with Eastern round white or red skinned varieties. A russet or almost any yellow skin variety will par fairly well for you. If you soil has much of a sand content you will find great success with the round reds, whites and the very saleable fingerlings.

Drainage is more necessary with russets and they will tolerate dryer conditions. Reds store the best followed by whites and then yellow skinned. They will store for months if kept cool, dry and in the dark. Best stored unwashed, ensure the dirt on the potato's is dry before storage. Yellows have the frailest skin then the reds and whites have the toughest of the rounds. A russet skin is very tough but wants to be kept dry and dirty till eating.

Good luck Mr. green thumb
Old Oct 14, 2014, 07:15 AM
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Jan 2010
624 Posts
Hey, thanks for the advice! Our soil is really good, not rocky, drains well, not sandy either. Not quite like coffee grounds yet, but getting there as I build it up with compost each year. If we decide to grow potatoes next season, I'll be sure to PM you for advice on the particular variety we choose.

Quote:
Hey Quiz, buying seed potato's is an easy answer for sure. You can buy local grown potatoes like road side vegetable stand ones as well for seed. If you do plant next year remember it takes part of a potato not a whole potato to get them to sprout. Depending on your soil type and variety of potato you choose will have differing success. If your soil is rocky you will not have great success with Eastern round white or red skinned varieties. A russet or almost any yellow skin variety will par fairly well for you. If you soil has much of a sand content you will find great success with the round reds, whites and the very saleable fingerlings.

Drainage is more necessary with russets and they will tolerate dryer conditions. Reds store the best followed by whites and then yellow skinned. They will store for months if kept cool, dry and in the dark. Best stored unwashed, ensure the dirt on the potato's is dry before storage. Yellows have the frailest skin then the reds and whites have the toughest of the rounds. A russet skin is very tough but wants to be kept dry and dirty till eating.

Good luck Mr. green thumb
Last edited by QuizCat; Oct 14, 2014 at 07:32 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 09:30 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,369 Posts
Ok Quiz buddy, enough of the potato crap. Now lets get down to building that awesome AT-6 I just received a new 120" glider airframe to replace the one I trashed on maiden. The wife is so pleased with me rite now I think I seen her making a T chart to review the plus's and minuses' to being married to me I will just remind her that I am the trophy husband she always wanted and seeing how she has me already why go through all of the work finding a new one If it works I will be in luck
Old Oct 20, 2014, 06:36 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,369 Posts
Well Quiz I got the second glider built and almost ready to float around the sky