HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Jim T. Graham, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 08, 2013, 12:26 PM
Team Pilot PA, FMS, WMPF
Joined Apr 2012
99 Posts
Great job!

Great Job with the Coverage guys!!
Uawflyer is offline Find More Posts by Uawflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2013, 05:08 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron stahl View Post
I've been to Toledo for 35 years in a row. Over the years there have been up's and down years in attendance and vendor changes. The swap shop has become a joke of other people's junk and vendors to cheap to buy a booth downstairs. There was a serious downturn in vendors returning like :Ziroli, Fiberglass Specialties,and down sizing of the BUSA booth to just one booth this year just to name a few.The economic impact of the US society as a whole was seen several years ago with smaller crowds so if you are new to coming it still looks large, and it is very far from that compared to the nineties. I am sure the Internet also has cut into those willing to travel and the aging of the hobby as a whole, just look at all the grey hair there. Dave Platt has ended his run with this being his last year displaying and selling after 45 years in a row;commenting on he no longer fits in with the current main stream hobbiest who do not build models but fly arf's. I always saw his models a s a standard to build to and will always appreciate his smile and warm reception at his booth. It will be harder each coming year for me to return if we did not have so many friends we only see there. I did have good time again this year with my travel buddies. The display of planes was way down and I heard that this is a response to non traditional models winning last year like the Dragon and several arf's. I understand about the arf's but that the Dragon was a work of art, will his Batplane win anything year? So knows but it sure was a lot of work as well. We for years staid for the Saturday night auction but haven't in a few years especially after Bob's passing. It was a good time but I had just as good of a time at the Wram show with a lot less time in the car driving cross county but as long as there is a Toledo show and family in southern Michigan we will attend.
The bat wing won his class but not best in show. I got to chat quite a bit with Dave Platt when he came over to the National Balsa booth and it was great since my first scale attempt was one of his Spitfires in the mid-70s. With the balsa flying out of the booth, it wasn't surprising that all the buyers (scratch builders) were over 30 (and I would venture over 40) and yes, we did have fathers bring their kids over and show the kids, "This is Balsa". Very sad. It's an ARF world out there
coreman is online now Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Off to HHAEFI we go!
Old Apr 08, 2013, 05:40 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,573 Posts
I'm surprised that National Balsa had anything left to sell, after I left their booth. LOL

They had some great prices !
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Apr 08, 2013, 07:29 PM
maryland
Joined Jun 2002
24 Posts
I bought 400$ worth of balsa and plywood between the WRAM and Toledo shows from National balsa. They must have gotten mobbed on Friday morning as I had a bigger list for guys back home I could not fill as they had very little 4 inch wife sheeting when we arrived at noon on Friday.
ron stahl is offline Find More Posts by ron stahl
Old Apr 08, 2013, 08:13 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
I'm surprised that National Balsa had anything left to sell, after I left their booth. LOL

They had some great prices !
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron stahl View Post
I bought 400$ worth of balsa and plywood between the WRAM and Toledo shows from National balsa. They must have gotten mobbed on Friday morning as I had a bigger list for guys back home I could not fill as they had very little 4 inch wife sheeting when we arrived at noon on Friday.
There was very little left by the end and he could have sold an entire table of 1/16", 3/32" and 1/8" sheeting alone. Every time something got uncovered sorted into the wrong pile it was snatched. It was very nice seeing so many actual builders. The spruce and plywood was heavily depleted as well. but yes, those few sizes and the 4" wood disappeared quickly on friday. I was amazed how quickly considering we were almost as far as you could get from the entrance. My back thanks you all (I helped pack up)
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 08, 2013, 08:29 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,507 Posts
Did anyone notice how JR had their own booth & display, yet there were still JR radios at the Horizon booth? Seems like the sea is definitely splitting...
Hornetnz is offline Find More Posts by Hornetnz
Old Apr 08, 2013, 08:34 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornetnz View Post
Did anyone notice how JR had their own booth & display, yet there were still JR radios at the Horizon booth? Seems like the sea is definitely splitting...
I was totally confused by that also. I didn't ask, I checked out the DX-18 and DX-8 and of course the QQ DX-18.

Sure someone will help out my fog of all this.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Apr 08, 2013, 08:41 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conehead View Post
I was totally confused by that also. I didn't ask, I checked out the DX-18 and DX-8 and of course the QQ DX-18.

Sure someone will help out my fog of all this.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
was the split across DSMx and DMSS encoding? Spektrum compatible versus new proprietary??
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 09, 2013, 07:59 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined May 2012
54 Posts
Anyone know if theve posted the results of the Model Contest?
Razorback Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Razorback Flyer
Old Apr 11, 2013, 09:32 PM
Brookfield,Oh
Joined Sep 2010
42 Posts
A little video. kinda shaky. First time using the new GoPro Hero3.
Weak Signals R C Expo (2 min 46 sec)
slowfly53 is offline Find More Posts by slowfly53
Old Apr 23, 2013, 07:04 AM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback Flyer View Post
Anyone know if theve posted the results of the Model Contest?
It's on their site, www.toledoshow.com .
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson