HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2013, 05:03 PM
Joined Apr 2006
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrated View Post
Yep! When the PT-19 came on the seen it was a hot item for along time for beginners. They flew better than the TD4 IMHO. I wonder how many of them were made? must of been in the millions LOL!
I think they probably could of sold more if they didn't advertise it as a 'trainer'...as a kid nobody wants a 'trainer'!!!!
aerohusker is offline Find More Posts by aerohusker
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2013, 06:43 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
I was wrong. After looking at pics here, I realize that it was the PT19 that had the 4 fragile "tits" near the wing root that easily broke leaving the wing worthless, not the TD4. After getting good enough that I could empty a Babe Bee fuel tank on my TD4 and a lay off for around 10 years, I bought a PT19, in '71 for $6 at Fed Mart. I never thought that it flew as fast or was as maneuverable as the TD4, even after I removed all dead weight, (pilots, windshields, stickers) and drilled a new hole in the bell crank to increase control surface movement. I never saw a wing or a fuselage break in any TD4-wings an fuselages broke easily on the PT19. I think they designed the PT19 to be prettier, sell more and increase after market sales of wings, fuselages, firewalls and other parts by selling a flimsier design. Flight characteristic differences between the two would be interesting, to a few. Comparing the weight difference might be as far as we get here.
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
Last edited by tigreflyer; Apr 23, 2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 06:55 PM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,345 Posts
I still have not flown the TD-4 (I need to remove the engine and go through it).

If time every permits, I will take it and the PT-19 out on the same day and try to make a comparison, on the same length of lines.

I have a lot of PT-19 time (years ago), and a bit from a few months ago.

I have never flown the TD-4.
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem
Old Apr 23, 2013, 06:58 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
I'd use the same line length, heads, propellers and good running Babe Bee on both birds. Could you weigh both birds and post here? Thanks.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 07:13 PM
Joined Apr 2006
65 Posts
Lol, I'm putting my money on the PT, the TD-4 wing was heavy...or it seemed heavy?

The PT-19 wing was a easy repair, where broken 'tit' or 'lug' was, drill a hole into wing with 1/16" bit, appx. 1/4", add a drop of CA, insert a short piece of music wire, done.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 07:47 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohusker View Post
Lol, I'm putting my money on the PT, the TD-4 wing was heavy...or it seemed heavy?

The PT-19 wing was a easy repair, where broken 'tit' or 'lug' was, drill a hole into wing with 1/16" bit, appx. 1/4", add a drop of CA, insert a short piece of music wire, done.
Then you have the broken fire walls and fuselages to repair. I'll put my money on the TD4!
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:04 PM
Joined Apr 2006
65 Posts
you may be right, the TD-4 may have been more durable, it would be interesting to see a report on the two.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 01:09 AM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Yes. At this point, weight difference is key in determining performance difference. It would be interesting to see an old article comparing the two.
Last edited by tigreflyer; Apr 27, 2013 at 01:20 AM.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 09:21 AM
United States, UT, Marysvale
Joined Aug 2004
1,113 Posts
If I remember right the TD-4 had a full flying horizontal stab. That was the only part I had to replace on mine. Some how I broke it. The local Hobby shop carried replacement parts for the TD-4, for a 11 year old I thought it was pretty cool.
Vrated is offline Find More Posts by Vrated