Old Jun 22, 2012, 03:06 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,091 Posts
Discussion
wanting to try DLG

Hello,

I have a bug to try a DLG. Looking through the forums it looks like the Quick Flick II looks like a good entry level plane. Any suggestions for other options? Are ailerons worth the time and trouble for a first ship?

Thanks!

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2012, 04:19 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,334 Posts
Many other "First DLG" threads here with lots of comments!
bbbp is offline Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Jun 22, 2012, 04:43 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,224 Posts
If you're just looking for an inexpensive DLG to fly on afternoons in the park then it's a good option. So are the Gambler, MiMi, DL-50, Elf, and Topsky mini. If you want to attend contests I'd strongly recommend a 1.5m DLG like the Predator II, Topsky, Neos, or Katana. Lots of options available, and like bbbp says there are loads of "First DLG" threads in this forum with tons of information for a newcomer. Just do a search and you'll find several.

Welcome to the addiction!

Brandon
bwill6 is online now Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Jun 22, 2012, 04:43 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
4,091 Posts
I guess i should have mentioned budget and kit. I like to build and am on a budget. Does this help.

There are so many threads, and get so far off track....... well....

Lots of suggestions for $250+ planes. Well above said budget.

Ken
Old Jun 22, 2012, 04:46 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,224 Posts
If you want to build then MiMi, Apogee, Gambler and QuickFlick are good options. DL-50 is also a kit, but it's not built up balsa. It's foam wings with glass skins that you do yourself. Apogee plans are on the charles river rc web sight and MiMi plans are available on a thread in this forum. Just search for MiMi and you'll find it. All of these fly great.

Brandon
bwill6 is online now Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Jun 22, 2012, 05:56 PM
Woodinville, WA
Joined Jul 2009
442 Posts
If you already have aileron experience on other planes, go with aileron for dlg. Practically all full size (1.5m) have flaperons. Having servos on each wing allow for flaps to camber and brake in addition to roll.

Joseph
JoeCube is offline Find More Posts by JoeCube
Old Jun 22, 2012, 07:15 PM
No conspiracy in theory
Oak Ridge, Tenn.
Joined Aug 2004
3,648 Posts
"fingers".
Depron dynamite is another good choice.
Mike.
skorski is offline Find More Posts by skorski
Old Jun 23, 2012, 08:38 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
4,091 Posts
Thanks for the tips everybody. I'll do some more looking.

Ken
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:53 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,399 Posts
Buy used.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Jun 24, 2012, 04:17 PM
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,102 Posts
Gambler, or scratch build a Bug for nearly nothing (electronics not withstanding). I love my Bug and fly it often while the TopSky and Gambler sit at home.

Rick
2400RDR is online now Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Old Jun 24, 2012, 05:56 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,399 Posts
You're going to need a lot of luck building one of these, (a DLG).

Buy used.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Jun 24, 2012, 06:21 PM
Hey was that a Thermal ????
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
shoot me a PM and I will see what I have we can get in your hands so you can start flying.

How much building expoerience do you have?

Paul
The_Builder is offline Find More Posts by The_Builder
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:15 PM
F3K all day
Joined Dec 2011
1,687 Posts
How about a topsky 1 dlg. $220 airframe, it flies great, solid plane, but like any kit the build is a long time. Very complete parts though. It was my first dlg, second ever plane
jasonafriedman is offline Find More Posts by jasonafriedman
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:37 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
4,091 Posts
I'm getting much more serious about this DLG thing. I've decided I would prefer ailerons as opposed to rudder & elevator. I fly ailerons on everything else so why not on a DLG.

On to plane selection.... I'm leaning towards a Great Planes "Fling". I know maybe not the best choice, but I am on a bit of a budget. I have a small RX but will need to purchase servos and battery. It gets me a 1.5 M plane with glass pod and boom (I think) and if it survives maybe later a better wing. I get to see the real thing all done up the first time around. Maybe the second ship will be a "kit" or a similar facsimile there of. I will have the option to go rudderless also and save a tad on weight. My flying spot has a small patch of low trees that I can catch a bit of lift off of if the wind is right, so, that will give me a bit of cushion to hunt for a thermal or two.... maybe??

OK, now tell me I'm wrong

Ken
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:58 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,484 Posts
Ken:

What someone else already mentioned: a very good first DLG is the TopSky. Find the version that suits your budget, and build it. It may be a frightening thought to build but it's just not that hard, it even comes with instructions.

The Fling DLG has a good price - but a poor reputation for weight, strength and performance. The TopSky (even the basic version) is rugged, reasonable weight and responds well to experiments in trimming and technique. In short, the TopSky is an excellent teaching airplane.

If price is really an issue, then the DL-50/Gambler/QF-II options are great! Easy builds, rugged airframes, superb fun/$$$ ratio. Many around these parts are going past three years old, and go out every flying day. And, every night! We draped LED light strings on a Gambler, for night flying.

Good luck.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang