Never Under estimate the power
United States, MA, North Attleboro
Joined May 2011
185 Posts
Build Log
Top Flite P-51D .60 Size (TOPA0110) - Build Log

Top Flite P-51D Gold Edition Build Log

Thread Started: 9/19/2011
November and December 2011 as well as the first half of January 2012 no work was done on the model.
Last Update: 2/27/2012

Planned Power System
(Updated 10/26/2011 based on running numbers at eCalc and feedback in this thread)
Update 9/19/2011
So today I placed my order for the Top Flite P-51D .60 sized kit I plan to build for my winter project. I also plan to build it as electric. Hopefully with a mountain of help from a friend and hopefully the shared experience of some of you who have done this conversion before.

Update: 9/24/11
Found this thread elsewhere and I'm just popping it in here for furture reference. Lots of good build info.
Kit has arrived and tomorrow, I begin sorting and prelim work.

Update: 10/2/2011

Created a Flickr Set to track the full progress of the build. All images will be here, only samples will be posted in this thread. Photo Build log: http://www.flickr.com/photos/6721623...7627812475536/

Elevator build has begun.

update: 10/5/2011
Elevator sheeting cut and glued.

Update: 10/9/2011Horizontal Stab is fully sheeted, end blocks glued in place and shaped. Rough sanding is done and final sanding will wait until closer to completion.

Update: 10/10/2011
Vertical stab is built up and sheeted on the left side. Haven't had a ton of time but right side sheeting is cut and ready to go over the frame.

Update: 10/13/2011
After much tinkering with motor/esc/battery/prop combos at eCalc, I'm pretty much convinced it's either going to be a Power 90 or a Hacker A50-16L with a Castle 85HV and 8s (2x 4s 5000mAh 30c). Based on eCalcs numbers I'm learning heavily towards the P90 with a 16x8E prop. Here's why

E-Flite Power 60 with 16x8E Prop

Hacker 50-16L with 16x10E Prop

Update: 10/15/2011
Vertical stab sheeted and balsa block in place and rough sanded.

Work started on Rudder

Just set the Vert Stab alongside the partially built rudder to get a sense of scale. Going to be nice!

Update: 10/17/2011
Added ribbing to the rudder and did the initial round of sanding to rough shape.

Update: 10/24/2011
Begun build up of the wing. It's going to take some getting used to building it upside down.

Update: 11/3/2011
Finally had some time to go back and do some honest work on the wing. It even looks a bit like a wing now...

Update: 11/6/2011
Left Wing coming along nicely with the right wing laid out in the background.

Progress to date. This is where I'm at at this very moment (almost literally. just came down for dinner).

And now we're testing fitting the wing join. Looks good, so far everything lines up.
RickSide is offline Find More Posts by RickSide
Last edited by RickSide; Feb 27, 2012 at 09:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2011, 08:32 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
1,572 Posts
I have the 60size P-47 ARF and the E-Flite electric retracts drop in perfectly, I would imagine the 60 size kits would have a similar gear mounting area.

Hope this helps
Matt
M.Huerta is offline Find More Posts by M.Huerta
Old Sep 20, 2011, 09:42 PM
Joined May 2011
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Huerta View Post
I have the 60size P-47 ARF and the E-Flite electric retracts drop in perfectly, I would imagine the 60 size kits would have a similar gear mounting area.

Hope this helps
Matt
Thanks Matt, this is what I've heard from others regarding the ARF as well. My assumption is that the kit either builds up with a similar mounting solution, or can be easily modified to accommodate them.
Last edited by RickSide; Oct 15, 2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 11:41 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSide View Post
So today I placed my order for the Top Flite P-51D .60 sized kit I plan to build for my winter project. I also plan to build it as electric. Hopefully with a mountain of help from a friend and hopefully the shared experience of some of you who have done this conversion before

So here is what I have in mind in terms of the kit and power optoins.

I'm Considering swapping the P60 for a P90 and a pair of 5000mAh 4S 30C LiPos with a 16x8E

All of the above is based on the "standard" and upgraded recommendations on the Horizon Hobby site for the Hangar 9 .60 Blue nose ARF in electric trim.

I also plan on using the Eflite 60-120 90 Degree electric retracts. These are about .0250 deeper than the Robarts recommended in the plans, but about an ounce lighter (once the complete weight of the robart system is considered). I really want to avoid pneumatic retracts. It's a personal thing.

The kit should be here by the end of the week and I'll update this thread as I go along. Though I do warn everyone that this is likely to be a slow and lengthy build. ANY and ALL assistance, suggestions, and tips from those who have built this kit and made the electric conversion is more than appreciated. I have some initial questions.

Power system
  • Is what I have listed acceptable in terms of power? My assumptions are based on the fact that both Hangar 9 and Top Flite list the same AUW for their aircraft.

Retracts
  • Has anyone tried to install the Eflite electrics in this kit or one of the other .60 sized Gold Edition kits? If so, what was your experience and what should I watch out for? I already anticipate the need to strengthen the gear rails.
  • Would the mechanical retracts used in the Hangar 9 Blue nose be an acceptable alternative to both the Pneumatic Robarts and the Eflite electrics?

Thanks in advance. The kit hasn't even arrived yet and I'm already equal parts excited and intimidated.
You should use the 85 degree retracts on the Mustang
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Sep 20, 2011, 11:52 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
1,572 Posts
[QUOTE=RickSide;19375356]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Huerta View Post

Hope this helps
Matt[/QUOTE

Thanks Matt, this is what I've heard from others regarding the ARF as well. My assumption is that the kit either builds up with a similar mounting solution, or can be easily modified to accommodate them.
absolutely, and since it is a kit, you can build it however you want. You'll love the E- Flite gear
Old Sep 21, 2011, 05:54 AM
Joined May 2011
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiztidbowler View Post
You should use the 85 degree retracts on the Mustang
Could you tell me why the 85 degree instead of the 90?
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:30 AM
SVX
Joined Oct 2002
638 Posts
Due to the Dihedral of the wing. If you use the 90 degree the gear will be spread apart at the wheel. You are going for a nice strong vertical gear look when the gear is down. You don't want to give the impression that your plane is over weight.

Dust
SVX is offline Find More Posts by SVX
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:59 AM
Joined May 2011
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX View Post
Due to the Dihedral of the wing. If you use the 90 degree the gear will be spread apart at the wheel. You are going for a nice strong vertical gear look when the gear is down. You don't want to give the impression that your plane is over weight.

Dust
That makes sense. Thanks!
Old Sep 22, 2011, 07:08 PM
Joined May 2011
185 Posts
In an ironic twist, the last part needed was the first part received. The decal sheet showed up today. Kit and some electronics should be here tomorrow! Very excited.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:49 AM
United States, OH
Joined Dec 2006
207 Posts
Rickside, I am just finishing up my P-47 TF Arf. I went with two 4 cell 5000. I looked at some videos of similar planes using 6 cells and they just seemed to lack power to me.

I'll let you know how it works out. I started a TF Seafury last winter. I'll finish it this year. It is a very nice kit and I have been impressed with the instructions, parts and hardware.
Blue Jacket is offline Find More Posts by Blue Jacket
Old Sep 24, 2011, 12:33 PM
Joined May 2011
185 Posts
Blue,

Thanks! I'd really appreciate the info! What motor and ESC are you using?

My kit arrived yesterday. I'm now the proud owner of a small lumber yard!

I didn't realize the first challenge would be, "where do I build this thing?"

My work space is only about 2' x 4'. I can expand it, but I'm wondering how much space I really need to build up a 65" wingpsan aircraft. If I were to lay the plans out flay and cover a surface they'd be roughly 42" x 72" or about 4' x 6'. Do I need all that space our can I get by with less. Wings build up half at a time, so a 2 x 4 foot space might be enough? It's some what academic, I have a loft that I am using that I can put upto a 4' x 8' worktable in. I just don't want to put in more than I'll really need.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 11:31 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
1,572 Posts
Quote:
Blue,

Thanks! I'd really appreciate the info! What motor and ESC are you using?

My kit arrived yesterday. I'm now the proud owner of a small lumber yard!

I didn't realize the first challenge would be, "where do I build this thing?"

My work space is only about 2' x 4'. I can expand it, but I'm wondering how much space I really need to build up a 65" wingpsan aircraft. If I were to lay the plans out flay and cover a surface they'd be roughly 42" x 72" or about 4' x 6'. Do I need all that space our can I get by with less. Wings build up half at a time, so a 2 x 4 foot space might be enough? It's some what academic, I have a loft that I am using that I can put upto a 4' x 8' worktable in. I just don't want to put in more than I'll really need.
Not trying to cut BlueJacket off, but I have the same airplane as him (P-47 60 ARF), and I use a Hacker A50-16L with a Castle HV-85, 17*12 prop, and two Turnigy Nano-Tech 4s5000 in series, I think it's the perfect amount of power, has excellent vertical and can fly for about 7-8 minute with proper power management.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 05:57 PM
Joined May 2011
185 Posts
Thanks for the info. Im not familiar with Hacker motors, would the 50-16l be closer to the Power 60 or the Power 90. Pricing is about the same as the P90 so I'm assuming that ball park.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 07:46 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
1,572 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the info. Im not familiar with Hacker motors, would the 50-16l be closer to the Power 60 or the Power 90. Pricing is about the same as the P90 so I'm assuming that ball park.
Yeah it's more along the lines of the power 90
Old Sep 26, 2011, 09:48 PM
Joined May 2011
185 Posts
I have a new question. Servos.

Looking around I've seen this servo recommended for this model.

Hitech HS-635HB
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFRS6&P=0

The manual recommends either of the following
Futaba S9001 BB Servo
Futaba S9202 dual BB Servo

Any other recommendations that would serve well in this bird?
Last edited by RickSide; Sep 26, 2011 at 09:55 PM.