HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
Bondo will work, if I had to use it everyday I would struggle. It tends to get lots of pin holes and it tough to sand, sort of a heavy weight product. Glazing putty <1part> will be your friend for final prep for pin holes and sand scratches.
I got most of it done last night. As you suggested... I am struggling with some pin holes etc. Tempted to just accept them.

I am having trouble in one spot where some epoxy I had thinned is not setting up. I'm pretty sure I will be happiest just cutting it out and starting over with the finishing resin. That stuff goes on really nice.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 07:14 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DNater View Post
I got most of it done last night. As you suggested... I am struggling with some pin holes etc. Tempted to just accept them.

I am having trouble in one spot where some epoxy I had thinned is not setting up. I'm pretty sure I will be happiest just cutting it out and starting over with the finishing resin. That stuff goes on really nice.
Walmart Sells Bondo and they sell the "Spot" or Glazing putty. It is great for small pin holes and sand scratches... It does have to air dry for long spells, as dry as your area is, maybe not as long. If it is on too thick or too big of a hole, it will crack when it dries. lacquer based primers can also soften it if put on too wet and then it will shrink under the primer and paint so care is needed. First coats <many> of primer should be light and flash quick. If you use a sealer first, then primer is not as big a concern.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/16927984?w...214792&veh=sem
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,070 Posts
DOG I am going to skip the glazing putty on this project... it is still going to look too rough when completed to justify the extra time and effort. But... I will keep it in mind for sure. After going through this I think I could totally refurbish a broken cowl (rdy to prime and paint) in about 6 hours including resin and bondo drying time.
Old Yesterday, 11:09 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,070 Posts
Well in case everyone has been sitting around worried about my poor cowl... (not likely)...

The trouble epoxy was more set up when I got home. I drilled a bunch of holes through it and put on some more bondo. Hoping it will stick better this time.
Old Today, 06:41 AM
United States, AR, Austin
Joined Jul 2014
30 Posts
I'm sure you will get it done, just take your time..
jaromine is offline Find More Posts by jaromine
Old Today, 07:48 AM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,286 Posts
.......or just buy a cowl.
snowman is offline Find More Posts by snowman
Old Today, 07:52 AM
nothing
United States, MO, Cameron
Joined Jan 2011
915 Posts
Or fly without one.
Kerwin49 is offline Find More Posts by Kerwin49
Old Today, 07:53 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
.......or just buy a cowl.
wheres the fun in that !! LOL
Waldopepperaxe is online now Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Today, 08:09 AM
nothing
Joined Jan 2011
915 Posts
Overcast and foggy, a day day for some slow cooked squirrel!
Old Today, 08:11 AM
United States, AR, Austin
Joined Jul 2014
30 Posts
What time do we eat?
jaromine is offline Find More Posts by jaromine
Old Today, 08:14 AM
nothing
Joined Jan 2011
915 Posts
Be ready in 8 hours!

Latest blog post: Squirrel, the other white meat.
Old Today, 09:31 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,070 Posts
I gave up last night when my bondo didn't set... I guess I didn't add enough hardener. I finally just said the heck with it and primed it. It looks very far from perfect... but it is better than when it was crushed. I'm just done with the project lol.
Old Today, 10:45 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,970 Posts
LOL hey Nate if it flys you done good son !!!!

8 hours !!!! I'll freaking starve to death by then

well its Flying eve almost

Started working in my Bro in laws house again trying to get some framing done and a ceiling up in a stairwell with of course terrible angles,,, nothing is square at all in this house. and then on to the Living room where I will hopefully get that ceiling framed in and finished, Trying to hide 130 year old structure flaws and make it look and be as safe as new is a daunting task for sure.. Finiaaly got the trim molding up in the bedroom we started last year before I went in for my operations.
Anywho back in full construction swing

Well I wrapped the copper tubing around the engine head to see if that will help with the smoke system so hopefully tomorrow Tinman Tims Smoker will work also but now we plan on working on one plane at a time as apposed to trying to maiden two planes at the same time lol but regardless suppose to be in the low 40's but the rain should clear out of here by tonight in time for flying tomorrow morning and then its suppose to rain again later in the afternoon... Thank you Lord for a window of flying time

Oh yeah some Minor repairs too lol
Waldopepperaxe is online now Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Last edited by Waldopepperaxe; Today at 10:55 AM.
Old Today, 11:03 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,546 Posts
awwww those repairs on the wing corner are easy peasy...shouldn't take more than an hour max!

Looks like we have a decent window this weekend for a change!

Saturday 10/25 10%
Some clouds in the morning will give way to mainly sunny skies for the afternoon. High 67F. Winds WNW at 10 to 20 mph

Sunday 10/26 0%
Mainly sunny. High 64F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick