SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 14, 2012, 06:54 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,891 Posts
Thought I was going to go fly the 71 or Yak, saw storms coming, now they are missing us and fading out down South of us....

DING!!!!! Mission Accomplished!
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2012, 07:22 PM
House of Paine
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2007
2,197 Posts
Must have been because of default page number earlier today as my venerable 57 had some power issues on my last pack. Oddly enough I actually had some sense and landed instead of just flying till failure I think perhaps a bad ESC as someone said they had a buddy with a X-70 that did the same thing. The power seemed off and was pulsing sometimes when going from mid towards full power. Batts were doing fine, no voltage drop at this time. Anyway, no harm to plane so all is well, have some 200 flights on power system in AZ heat so no complaints
weaser42 is offline Find More Posts by weaser42
Old Jul 15, 2012, 08:57 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Ugh... I seem to have come down with the flu. This the worst I've felt in a loooooooong time. No flying for me today. Heading to urgent care soon. Got a fever of 101.5 which is high for me... My normal healthy temp is low - around 97.6.

I was really wanting to fly today because I set my fixed end points, got a 15x8 prop on there and got my SFG's installed. Oh well. Someday soon I hope. Fly hard today boys!!!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jul 15, 2012, 09:20 AM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,891 Posts
Bummer! If you've got any respiratory with it, yeah, better get it checked out...

My Norm is like 97.3 - 97.6 also. I think we must be tuned to FM......

Thought I might head an hour south for a FunFly, but super humid, windier than forecast, cloudy, showers and storms possible... Charged for 57 and 71 so far. Heading into church for awhile, may just stay around and fly at JVS later if no rain. Shoot some vids... Wind would be in my face and I like it that way for hovering back.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:51 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
Bummer! If you've got any respiratory with it, yeah, better get it checked out...

My Norm is like 97.3 - 97.6 also. I think we must be tuned to FM......

Thought I might head an hour south for a FunFly, but super humid, windier than forecast, cloudy, showers and storms possible... Charged for 57 and 71 so far. Heading into church for awhile, may just stay around and fly at JVS later if no rain. Shoot some vids... Wind would be in my face and I like it that way for hovering back.
LOL! Your FM comment cracked me up!

Just curious... How would you compare the 71" Slick to the 57" Extra? I've flown the 51" Slick and have my eyes on the 71"... So I'd be curious as to your thoughts.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 05:09 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
LOL! Your FM comment cracked me up!

Just curious... How would you compare the 71" Slick to the 57" Extra? I've flown the 51" Slick and have my eyes on the 71"... So I'd be curious as to your thoughts.
Ok, just back and unloaded from the FunFly. Anthony and Chris were there with the Helis and Slicks, along with some other Hillhoppers from WV.

45 min. drive and I only got to get the 71 Slick out and the 57 SC out. Yak stayed in the Durango. Just in the time it took me to drive there the atmosphere exploded with storms all around in lines. Just missed us when I first got there.

Only got to fly the 71 twice and the 57 once! Was getting ready to do the 57 again and big drops started coming down. Then I saw the storm coming right for us. Man we got drenched or the County Airport did. Got both planes de-winged in time and stowed. Just small drops all over them.

First I'd flown the 71 since D'Town last month. Wow, those Savox are touchy fast! We Radar gunned the 57 SC. 66 MPH on a Motrolfly 3625-709Kv, 4S 4000 20C, Xoar 15x7 flat run, light downwind. Should have stuck the 14x7 on there. They clocked an EDF doing 107. A Cessna 310 Nitro Twin at 111 mph!!

On 6S 5000, the Slick is not that fast and kind of lumbering at times. I didn't hammer the throttle today, windy and hot. Like Anthony said, slowest PopTops he's seen. Slo-Motion at the top. 8S would bring it up to the speed of the 57 SC.

My 57 SC is a screamer compared to the 71 Slick (4325-380). Slick really slows down nicely for Hovering and TR's. I got (one) today. Looks good in HAKE passes, flies Inverted great. 57 SC is a light feeling fast horse. Wild thing. So if you want the 71 to fly fast too, better go 8S. 6S does give you time to think and work on things though and it still rollers fast if you want it to.

You can definitely feel the extra weight and bulkiness of the Slick. It's good in wind though. Had a really nice 2nd landing, really smooth in a crosswind. Got a floater landing on the SC, really slowed down and was one wheeling if for about ten feet.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 07:44 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,169 Posts
I have absolute positive proof...

that the red SC flies better!! Today, while loading up my planes to go flying, I accidentally loaded the wings for my son's blue/yellow/white SC instead of my red/white and blue ones. I thought...okay....no big deal....same kind of plane, just different color....NOT!!! My normally wonderful flying SC flew like crap today!! Just goes to prove RED FLIES BETTER!!!

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jul 15, 2012, 08:30 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Well I officially now own the ugliest set of SFG's known to mankind! I first put them on crooked. So I fixed that but now I had a visible hole. Just NOW I realized they were on backwards (fat part forward)! Doh!!

So I now have five holes I'm each SFG! Oh well... She will still fly great; looks are only optional.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 08:31 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
By the way... Went to the doctor. Turns out I had strep. They've got me on some mess and said I'll be better in a few days. I'm already feeling better actually.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 09:04 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,750 Posts
Quote:
Well I officially now own the ugliest set of SFG's known to mankind! I first put them on crooked. So I fixed that but now I had a visible hole. Just NOW I realized they were on backwards (fat part forward)! .
You ain't the only one with em backward then...
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Jul 15, 2012, 09:07 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,891 Posts
Quote:
Well I officially now own the ugliest set of SFG's known to mankind! I first put them on crooked. So I fixed that but now I had a visible hole. Just NOW I realized they were on backwards (fat part forward)! Doh!!

So I now have five holes I'm each SFG! Oh well... She will still fly great; looks are only optional.
Must have been the onset of the Fever.....
Old Jul 15, 2012, 09:08 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
that the red SC flies better!! Today, while loading up my planes to go flying, I accidentally loaded the wings for my son's blue/yellow/white SC instead of my red/white and blue ones. I thought...okay....no big deal....same kind of plane, just different color....NOT!!! My normally wonderful flying SC flew like crap today!! Just goes to prove RED FLIES BETTER!!!

SteveT
Sounds like lots of Operator Error. You just couldn't handle the Awesomeness of the Yellow Blue Wings!
Old Jul 15, 2012, 09:18 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Must have been the onset of the Fever.....
Maybe so. I flew the maiden on Saturday morning without them, came home and started feeling like garbage but put them on anyway.

Oh well... She's good to go now! I doubt it flies differently regardless of which way they point.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 09:38 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,169 Posts
Quote:
Sounds like lots of Operator Error. You just couldn't handle the Awesomeness of the Yellow Blue Wings!
Nah....the other planes I flew today flew fine!!

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:27 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
Comparison

I know this is a difficult comparison.

Who has flown both the 3DHS 57" Extra 330 SC and the EF 60" Extra 300 EXP?
What are the qualities and flight envelopes of each plane?
Trill is offline Find More Posts by Trill