HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2006, 11:55 AM
Its Falling With Style
Dallas
Joined Jan 2005
344 Posts
Discussion
magnets and lipo

I normally hot glue some velcro onto my battery and then hold it in place in my planes that way.

however rare earth magnets seem to have a lot of pull force and I was wondering if anyone had tried using them instead, and would a magnet have an adverse affect to the lipo?

thanks
comets8518 is offline Find More Posts by comets8518
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2006, 12:45 PM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,152 Posts
No,
Rodney is offline Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Apr 21, 2006, 12:46 PM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,152 Posts
No, no electrical effect.
Rodney is offline Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Apr 21, 2006, 01:34 PM
phillyphly
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Sep 2005
1,223 Posts
I'm sure the industrial grade velcro adhesive is MUCH stronger than magnets or hotglue.

If you use velcro as a strap around your battery they will never let go. Velcro will release as the two sides are pulled apart but extremely difficult to separate if trying to slide apart.

So even if the magnets have no adverse effect, why use 'em?
e-guru is offline Find More Posts by e-guru
Old Apr 21, 2006, 04:34 PM
Its Falling With Style
Dallas
Joined Jan 2005
344 Posts
Because magnets offer a more asthetically pleasing solution of course (even though my airplane is tore up from crashes)

Well in honesty, the use of magnets is for some reason prefered over velcro in canopy applications so I thought it might work as nicely in holding the battery pack.

But your right, it took me a couple tries to find a way velcro worked in my formosa holding the battery but now that its in, it works very well
comets8518 is offline Find More Posts by comets8518
Old Apr 21, 2006, 05:05 PM
Master of 1 point landing
Naperville, IL
Joined Jul 2005
2,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by comets8518
Because magnets offer a more asthetically pleasing solution of course (even though my airplane is tore up from crashes)

Well in honesty, the use of magnets is for some reason prefered over velcro in canopy applications so I thought it might work as nicely in holding the battery pack.

But your right, it took me a couple tries to find a way velcro worked in my formosa holding the battery but now that its in, it works very well
hot melt glue some velco on the magnets
ImaBiggles is offline Find More Posts by ImaBiggles