SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 01, 2013, 10:49 PM
Pro Racing
United States, CT, Danbury
Joined Apr 2013
57 Posts
Help!
Motor

I have a 19T Stock motor, The lowest I can go is a 16T Stock motor as specified on my ESC, I get about 30 mph, How much faster will it increase with a Stock 16T motor?
XXBug85 is offline Find More Posts by XXBug85
Last edited by XXBug85; May 02, 2013 at 11:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2013, 01:15 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,234 Posts
Depends entirely on the motor. Also, the turn limit on the ESC is not a hard limit. Depending on the type of brushes used, the magnets used in the motor can, and the gauge of the wire that is used to wind the armature, can totally affect the performance of the motor. Then you have the timing adjustment on the endbell, if available, and the number of winds, like single, double, triple, etc... All affect the motor's "character" like max RPM, torque and amp draw.

Turn limit is only a general indication, better look at the A that the ESC can sustain, and what it can survive peak power. Then compare to the motor's amp draw.

If you want a more specific answer, make it less general, what brand and type ESC, what brand and type 19T and 12T motor are you referring to. We can then dive into the specs, and make a better calculation/prediction on performance, with less "wild guess" involved.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Last edited by SoloProFan; May 02, 2013 at 01:21 AM.
Old May 02, 2013, 07:24 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,919 Posts
Going to a lower turn motor will require a gearing change, and you'll lose run time pretty drastically if you go down to a 12T-14T motor.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old May 02, 2013, 10:55 PM
Pro Racing
Joined Apr 2013
57 Posts
I made a mistake, It's a 16T ESC, I am using a 19T stock motor, Do even with a 16T stock motor, I will still lose a little run time? Or is that only for 14T/12T motors?
Last edited by XXBug85; May 02, 2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old May 03, 2013, 01:37 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,234 Posts
A lower turn motor will generally have more power, and more power means the battery gets drained faster. Btw, do you already use lipos? If you are still using NiMh or NiCad, moving over to 2S lipo will give about a 10 to 15% increase in top speed and better acceleration. Beware that if the ESC doesn't have lipo over-discharge detection, you will need a seperate lipo saver to monitor the battery.
Old May 03, 2013, 10:41 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,919 Posts
Going to a lower turn motor will reduce run time, even with a proper gearing change. Going to 16T won't lose as much as going to 12T, but it'll still be noticeable.

If you want more speed, your best option is to upgrade to a brushless motor/esc and 2s lipo packs. You'll get more speed, and since lipo packs are much higher capacity (5000mah vs ~2000mah) you'll get a lot more run time too.
Old May 03, 2013, 02:46 PM
Pro Racing
Joined Apr 2013
57 Posts
It's quick already, I'm happy, Maybe ill try a 19T brushless motor eventually, After it go's bad, That means I'll need a brushless ESC, If I got a brushless 19T & a lipo 2000 mah battery instead, Will this make a difference?

If a 12T motor decreases run time, I'll just get a higher mah battery to increase the run time or lipo as you mentioned
Last edited by XXBug85; May 03, 2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old May 03, 2013, 03:00 PM
Pro Racing
Joined Apr 2013
57 Posts
What do you mean by 2s lipos?
Old May 03, 2013, 04:29 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,919 Posts
You should really find some general FAQ type information, A LOT of your questions would be answered by them.

Don't even bother comparing number of turns from brushed to brushless, it's not a direct conversion so it's just a waste of time. A 17.5T brushless is comparable in RPM to a 27T brushed, but a lot more efficient so you'll get less heat and more run time with the same rough speed.

2s Lipo is a different type of battery. Lipo is short for lithium polymer, and 2s means it's two cells in series (3.7v/cell, so 7.4v total). They're lighter and deliver way more power than nimh packs, but you'll need a lipo compatible charger as well.

If you're happy with the performance, just enjoy it as is. If you want to go faster it can be an expensive venture.
Old May 03, 2013, 07:07 PM
Pro Racing
Joined Apr 2013
57 Posts
I already spent a venture, I understand completely, So getting a 12T brushed motor will not increase quickness from my 19T brushed motor, Am I correct?
Last edited by XXBug85; May 03, 2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old May 04, 2013, 02:07 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,234 Posts
A 12T motor will most likely be faster than a 19T, but it's hard to predict how much faster, which was your initial question.

If you are happy with the current speed (I sure would be happy with 30 mph, it's pretty fast for an offroad vehicle) you could either keep running with the current motor and batteries, or already invest in some lipos. 2000 mah is pretty low for a lipo, I would suggest to get at least a 4000 mAh one. The extra capacity will come in handy, especially once you convert the car to brushless.
Old May 05, 2013, 08:09 PM
Pro Racing
Joined Apr 2013
57 Posts
TY ill keep this in mind
Old May 06, 2013, 12:24 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,919 Posts
Lower turns will always be faster, but will require more power from the battery so they'll get hotter and run time will be lower. Everything is a balance.
Old May 06, 2013, 08:31 PM
Pro Racing
Joined Apr 2013
57 Posts
I can understand that, Alright TY
Old May 07, 2013, 01:03 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Lower turns will always be faster, but will require more power from the battery so they'll get hotter and run time will be lower. Everything is a balance.
If everything else stays the same, so the number of turns is identical, the wire gauge is identical, and the timing of the endbell in regard to the commutator stays identical this holds for brushed motors. But if you alter one or more of these things, aka compare a 21 turn advanced timing motor to a 19 turn neutral timing motor for instance, I don't know which one will be faster. In that case the situation gets blurred and you can only find out what is faster by testing. If you want to experiment with brushed motors, get one with an adjustable end bell, as you can then alter the character of the motor between slower and more economical and faster but more power consuming and running hotter.
Last edited by SoloProFan; May 07, 2013 at 01:16 AM.