SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:00 PM
United States, LA, Bossier City
Joined Jul 2003
338 Posts
Just maidened mine.....got 5 flights in. Great flying plane! In my opinion, plenty of power, will loop from level flying, rolls are very good and handles the wind great. Was using a thunder power 25 C/160mah battery. Did not have to add any weight to get the cg, was spot on at 26mm. I think its a better flyer than the spitfire, and corsair but gotta remember, they are different airframes. Different flight characteristics....very happy with it. Wind was about 5 mph and it was around 40 degrees out, got about a 3.5 min flight per battery before landing. Only time I used full throttle was takeoff from ground. Landing was a non-event....slows nicely...landing was about 1/4 throttle then about 6 inches from the ground, eased back throttle and she settled in perfectly.....
lotech is offline Find More Posts by lotech
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:12 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotech View Post
Just maidened mine.....got 5 flights in. Great flying plane! In my opinion, plenty of power, will loop from level flying, rolls are very good and handles the wind great. Was using a thunder power 25 C/160mah battery. Did not have to add any weight to get the cg, was spot on at 26mm. I think its a better flyer than the spitfire, and corsair but gotta remember, they are different airframes. Different flight characteristics....very happy with it. Wind was about 5 mph and it was around 40 degrees out, got about a 3.5 min flight per battery before landing. Only time I used full throttle was takeoff from ground. Landing was a non-event....slows nicely...landing was about 1/4 throttle then about 6 inches from the ground, eased back throttle and she settled in perfectly.....
Nice report!
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:12 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,486 Posts
Here is a video of my 2s set up.
Parkzone UM AS3X P-40 2S conversion (1 min 32 sec)
Eclipse_7 is offline Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:53 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse_7 View Post
Here is a video of my 2s set up.
http://youtu.be/GTGBEIM7Oec
WOW - when I think about desired power, that would be a good example! Can you share exactly what the set up was? Also, are you seeing any wing flex? Do you think the wings will fail with that power set up in a high-G situation?
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:55 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Baron View Post
I actually have a set of my new Spitfire, but I've been having the hardest time tweaking the linkage (it would be easier if I had built the plane from balsa so I had more control over the linkage routing, using one HK5320 servo), so I am working on designing some micro electric retracts that will basically just plug in to a y-harness; should be super simple to set up and use, but more costly (the electronics will be $4 alone per unit and then the gears) I'm hoping to keep them down to roughly $10 for the mains, $2 more for the steerable, and I'll have to design a 90* unit now too
Thats a reasonable price for a nice upgrade. Please keep me posted. I'd love to put a pair on my spit, but it may require me going 2S first.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:09 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
WOW - when I think about desired power, that would be a good example! Can you share exactly what the set up was? Also, are you seeing any wing flex? Do you think the wings will fail with that power set up in a high-G situation?
It is a Beast 3D set up. Park 180 2500kV, 5x2.75 prop and a 2s 200 mAh 7.4v lipo 25c. I'm using the ESC out of a Great Planes Micro F-86, which I think is a 6 amp.

The wings will flex, but its not very noticeable. They are defiantly not going to break with the current battery and prop. If I were to use a larger battery and prop it up, I may run into that issue.
Eclipse_7 is offline Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:55 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,972 Posts
I maidened mine this morning, 7 flights with the stock batteries. I was getting 3 minute flights, but I'm sure the cold (25F) didn't help. Mine did fly a bit tail-heavy, had a slightly slower roll rate than the Spit, and was having trouble looping from level flight. Still, it looked great and I'm happy with it--I've always loved the P-40s of the AVG.
GradyLee is offline Find More Posts by GradyLee
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:45 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
9,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyLee View Post
I maidened mine this morning, 7 flights with the stock batteries. I was getting 3 minute flights, but I'm sure the cold (25F) didn't help. Mine did fly a bit tail-heavy, had a slightly slower roll rate than the Spit, and was having trouble looping from level flight. Still, it looked great and I'm happy with it--I've always loved the P-40s of the AVG.
Slower roll rate than the spit might be ok.... My spit rolls like the Tasmanian devil, less tongue though
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:12 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
Slower roll rate than the spit might be ok.... My spit rolls like the Tasmanian devil, less tongue though
The roll rate on the Spit is exceptional; the P-40's roll rate is certainly fine. I'd love to see a 2S WWI, WWII or barnstorming plane too, I admit!
GradyLee is offline Find More Posts by GradyLee
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:16 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,877 Posts
My maiden did not go well today ... I will try again in the morning
brushless55 is online now Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:46 AM
Formosa/VH EPP Thundebolt/UMXR
United States, WA, La Conner
Joined Jan 2013
295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
My maiden did not go well today ... I will try again in the morning
Did you have it marked with name and phone number?

I have to go look for one of my Landing Gear covers today!!!!

BTW E-fliterc has 1S 150 35C batteries. I tried one in my Champ and it flew faster!

Chris
snoking is offline Find More Posts by snoking
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:53 PM
Carthage, TX
United States, TX, Tenaha
Joined Mar 2012
556 Posts
Maiden mine this morning. It was real tail heavy(no gear). Put on a little lead weight strip under the nose and it was a bit better. Added a second lead strip and it flew perfect! Had a good time trimming her out and buzzing around then out of nowhere, the dang wind went from 1-2mph to 8-12mph and gusting. It flew great with the wind but really struggled to move forward into the wind at WOT. It did pretty good in the cross wind. I landed it into that strong wind and just plopped her down nice and easy in the grass. Hopefully it will die down this evening so I can run a few more through her. About to go mow my runway so I can break out a few big planes!!!!
Colbyntx is offline Find More Posts by Colbyntx
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:13 PM
-=BS=-
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Jul 2009
1,203 Posts
That was my experience as well
2g of nose weight and 2mm of mechanical down trim on the elevator helped a lot.
However, my p40 wants to roll right! Not sure how to mechanically trim that out!?
I gave it some left rudder trim by bending the U n the rudder push rod but that didn't help.
Looking at it closer, the left aileron is sagging down quite a bit and causing the roll to the right. It will take full left trim on my DX8 to bring the left aileron up to level, but everyone says not to use Tx trim on AS3X planes???
So... What to do? I really don't want to return it since I've weathered the airframe a bit....
BlazingStar is online now Find More Posts by BlazingStar
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:24 PM
United States, TN, Knox
Joined Sep 2011
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingStar View Post
So... What to do? I really don't want to return it since I've weathered the airframe a bit....
Sell it to me, dirt cheap????
Cheers!
pegasus.pony is offline Find More Posts by pegasus.pony
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:24 PM
Carthage, TX
United States, TX, Tenaha
Joined Mar 2012
556 Posts
Call HH and let them know! They will have some good advice or help you out. There CC is really good.
Colbyntx is offline Find More Posts by Colbyntx