SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:55 AM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
10,795 Posts
I really want to try one if these... How do we get in line for the next beta run.. US customers?
blade strike is online now Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:38 PM
<Marty>
United States, KY, Springfield
Joined Jul 2011
2,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade strike View Post
I really want to try one if these... How do we get in line for the next beta run.. US customers?
there is a new one listed in the classifieds ....for the same price you would pay ordering one...and its in the US..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1742917
magic_marty is offline Find More Posts by magic_marty
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:11 PM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,298 Posts
Jussi received the boards today.
So after final inspection and testing they'll hit the stores next week.

btw: if you order them in either Jussi's or Paul's shop you pay a smaller price as a Non_EU customer since both are registered for export. It's 25% less (~406USD + shipping).
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:24 PM
youtube.com/#/user/flyrobots
Indonesia
Joined Apr 2011
239 Posts
Good news
Flyrobot is offline Find More Posts by Flyrobot
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:07 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
Has there been any update on what is the best way for a non-SBUS/Spektrum user to communicate? I have a Hitec A9 and would like to keep my current receiver and module setup. Is there a good PWM to SBUS or PWM to PPM (code support for PPM? I have seen discussion not recommending futaba's SBUS converter.

This is really the only thing holding me back at this point.
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:13 PM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
10,795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderkram View Post
Jussi received the boards today.
So after final inspection and testing they'll hit the stores next week.

btw: if you order them in either Jussi's or Paul's shop you pay a smaller price as a Non_EU customer since both are registered for export. It's 25% less (~406USD + shipping).
Wow, not bad at all... Worth the try for sure
blade strike is online now Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:26 PM
YS-X6 Know why it crashes,blog
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Nov 2007
583 Posts
Frank, that''s just being greedy
Think of the children.
Or me.

jcmonty, I believe PPM sum is supported.
I will be using this adaptor, as I have the parts to make one myself.
http://store.diydrones.com/ProductDe...ctCode=BR-PPME
PWM to SBUS, I have not found any other ones that the Futaba offering.
Although the protocol seems easy enough for a smart fellow to make one.
I think the reason someone has not already made an alternative one is that the Futaba one is reasonably priced.
Got links to the discussion that it is not 100%?
Mr_westie is offline Find More Posts by Mr_westie
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:43 PM
AutoQuad OS developer
near Ithaca, NY, US
Joined Aug 2004
954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_westie View Post
Got links to the discussion that [SBE-1] is not 100%?
Here's the relevant thread discussing issues with the Futaba SBE-1 converter: http://forum.autoquad.org/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=951

Bottom line is that 2 people (including myself) have reported a "signal loss" issue with certain channel/position combinations, and no one has chimed in with contrary findings. There's a chance that both of us share some other setup issue which caused this, but that doesn't seem very likely (we're using different radios and even different signal inverters, also I have tried this with 2 different Rx, 2.4GHz and 72MHz).

Would be very interesting to know if a different S.Bus encoder would work. But test carefully on the ground, and maybe have a backup plan as well.

PPM does work nicely in the latest code, although at the moment there isn't an official release of the compiled firmware yet with working PPM support. But you can compile your own or ask someone on the forums to do it for you., and hopefully a new pre-compiled version is coming up soon since there have been some other good updates in the last couple weeks.

-Max
maximal is offline Find More Posts by maximal
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:06 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximal View Post
Here's the relevant thread discussing issues with the Futaba SBE-1 converter: http://forum.autoquad.org/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=951

Bottom line is that 2 people (including myself) have reported a "signal loss" issue with certain channel/position combinations, and no one has chimed in with contrary findings. There's a chance that both of us share some other setup issue which caused this, but that doesn't seem very likely (we're using different radios and even different signal inverters, also I have tried this with 2 different Rx, 2.4GHz and 72MHz).

Would be very interesting to know if a different S.Bus encoder would work. But test carefully on the ground, and maybe have a backup plan as well.

PPM does work nicely in the latest code, although at the moment there isn't an official release of the compiled firmware yet with working PPM support. But you can compile your own or ask someone on the forums to do it for you., and hopefully a new pre-compiled version is coming up soon since there have been some other good updates in the last couple weeks.

-Max
Thanks for the input. Is there a recommend PWM -> PPM encoder? I have seen the Diydrones one, but are there any other that people have successfully tested? I would like something reliable, since the goal would to be having this as a AP/AV platform with good auto/safety features. The SBUS glitch is enough of a concern to me not to try the SBUS conveter.
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:37 PM
AutoQuad OS developer
near Ithaca, NY, US
Joined Aug 2004
954 Posts
There's no "official" recommendation on a PPM encoder, but Steve (Kisssys), who helped fix the PPM implementation code, uses this one, so that seems like a good bet.

http://store.diydrones.com/product_p/br-ppme.htm

Same one from a UK shop: http://www.buildyourowndrone.co.uk/8...p/ppm-e8ch.htm

Theoretically any encoder which works with other MR controllers should be fine.

-Max
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:51 PM
Joined Jan 2012
397 Posts
Spectrum DX8

This is a noobie tx question. I presently own a Spectrum DX8 and arm8000 receiver. What would I need to make this work with the Autoquad? If it will. Thanks rkenosha
rkenosha is offline Find More Posts by rkenosha
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:43 AM
Aerhead
MN
Joined Mar 2009
213 Posts
rkenosha

The setup for my DX7 was probably the easiest part of the AQ learning curve. You just have to select 10 bit or leave it at the default 11 bit and the system will work. First you must have linked the Tx to the spectrum satellite by temporally connecting the satellite to a spectrum rx. Then just plug the spectrum satellite into the board. The channels will show up in the GCS but you will still need to set the Tx so the flight mode switches work the way you want.
The AQ is likely the best autopilot for multicopter photography but currently not a good choice for someone inexperienced with multicopter autopilots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkenosha View Post
This is a noobie tx question. I presently own a Spectrum DX8 and arm8000 receiver. What would I need to make this work with the Autoquad? If it will. Thanks rkenosha
Aerhead is offline Find More Posts by Aerhead
Last edited by Aerhead; Oct 06, 2012 at 01:54 AM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 03:28 AM
Taka
Joined Dec 2010
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximal View Post

PPM does work nicely in the latest code, although at the moment there isn't an official release of the compiled firmware yet with working PPM support. -Max
PPM input is ready ?
That's a good reason for me to jump in now, messy wirings is a thing of the past, it doesn't belong here.
Estiavilla is offline Find More Posts by Estiavilla
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:21 AM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,298 Posts
We're currently preparing to roll out the second (and last) part of the beta.

- lot's of bug fixes and feature updates in the latest firmware
- more polished versions of the Groundstations for Android and Windows, Linux & Mac
- Wiki updates to create a more streamline process for testers
- implementation of upcoming advanced features like L1+DCA

Still a lot going on in the background like the integration of the daughter board (i.e. Gumstix) for yet unseen AP/AV features on MRs. So stay tuned...
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:08 AM
AutoQuad OS developer
near Ithaca, NY, US
Joined Aug 2004
954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estiavilla View Post
PPM input is ready ?
That's a good reason for me to jump in now, messy wirings is a thing of the past, it doesn't belong here.
Well... AFAIK it works for everyone who is currently using PPM and posts on the AQ forums, including me (I'm using FrSky D8R-XP Rx with built-in PPM output). I'm not really sure how many people that includes though, the majority I think are using Spectrum and that is certainly the most tested RC solution so far. So PPM is ready for more testers, yes... But it's certainly not gong away at this point, it works, and if any issues are found, they'll be fixed.

-Max