Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:34 AM
Pants Up, Don't Loot!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
Park Flyer,

Love that Avitar Picture you have there!

Looks like a Mad Scientist at work!
Heh, heh, thanks Carlos

I see your SE5A is still hangin' in there - mine too though beaten and battered - looks like a war hero
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2011, 05:06 PM
Joined May 2009
36 Posts
Ive gota bp .15 on mines, it pulls veritcal at half stick and to the heavens at full stick.
maxxteezy is offline Find More Posts by maxxteezy
Old Sep 02, 2011, 05:23 PM
Pants Up, Don't Loot!
Joined Jun 2005
1,765 Posts
Mine came today - holy that was fast! I may have to move it to the front of the build list.

I ordered a BP A2810-11, which is roughly equivalent to the recommended Rimfire.
Last edited by Park_Flyer; Oct 16, 2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 08:12 AM
Pants Up, Don't Loot!
Joined Jun 2005
1,765 Posts
Being a bit perplexed by the weight of this model I decided to do a comparison with my still unbuilt Electrifly Sopwith Camel.
Camel----------Stearman
Fuse......3.6oz----------8.5oz
Wings....6.4oz----------8.2oz
Parts.....5.4oz----------7.9oz

Total....15.4oz--------24.6oz

Since the Stearman fuselage is 4.5 inches longer, it's natural that it should be heavier, but over 100% heavier??? This obviously throws the CG aft, which, combined with the weight, is why the need for the heavier battery and motor. As mentioned above, the wing loading is quite high - and 2.5 lb is crazy for a 36" model. I'm going to try to build this one lighter with less motor and battery, which could save about 3-4 oz in weight. If I need to add weight to achieve balance, I'll add it under the motor box - as far forward as possible. Other than the weight - I am really pleased with this ARF - looking forward to assembling it
Old Sep 04, 2011, 08:55 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_Flyer View Post
Mine came today - holy that was fast! Despite the dent and crease in the box courtesy of Gorrilla Parcel Service, the model looks fine and I may have to move it to the front of the build list.

I ordered a BP A2810-11, which is roughly equivalent to the recommended Rimfire.
Hey Park Flyer,

Sorry it took me until today to see this thread again but, I am sorry the motor that you selected has just too many high Kv's as a motor spec. and reason why Gerry's SUPER TIGER 0.10 was just as high (1250Kv)!!

Here's your motor selection:
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...7&pid=D1748438

Recall that Gerry changed out his motor to the E-Flite 480 (910Kv) and he has flown it for several flights with great results using the APC "Slow Flyer" 10 X 7. ( yes, you can use the APC "E" 10 X 7 as well).

I believe that someone at Great Planes / Tower made a big mistake on the selection / recommendation for an Electric Power System for this model!! Gerry's setup drew almost 29 AMPs (Current) at wide open using the SUPER TIGER 0.10 (1250Kv) while swinging the APC "Slow Flyer" 9 X 6 !!

I hope you can consider a motor similar to the E-Flite 480 (910Kv) "or" look into the BP A2217/9 motor as I have this same motor in various models and it is a very good motor with just (950Kv).

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...7&pid=B2632605
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2011, 08:57 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_Flyer View Post
Being a bit perplexed by the weight of this model I decided to do a comparison with my still unbuilt Electrifly Sopwith Camel.
Camel----------Stearman
Fuse......3.6oz----------8.5oz
Wings....6.4oz----------8.2oz
Parts.....5.4oz----------7.9oz

Total....15.4oz--------24.6oz

Since the Stearman fuselage is 4.5 inches longer, it's natural that it should be heavier, but over 100% heavier??? This obviously throws the CG aft, which, combined with the weight, is why the need for the heavier battery and motor. As mentioned above, the wing loading is quite high - and 2.5 lb is crazy for a 36" model. I'm going to try to build this one lighter with less motor and battery, which could save about 3-4 oz in weight. If I need to add weight to achieve balance, I'll add it under the motor box - as far forward as possible. Other than the weight - I am really pleased with this ARF - looking forward to assembling it
Park Flyer,

If you look inside the Tail FUSE boom carefully, I believe you will find the reason for the weight and Gerry and I believe that the Formers used for the Tail Boom are made of Plywood instead of Balsa. I do understand that Balsa is very expensive but, on a model ARF known for quality?

Gerry and I might be incorrect for our assessment here but, then, why else would this model be so heavy?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2011, 11:22 AM
Pants Up, Don't Loot!
Joined Jun 2005
1,765 Posts
What really got me think about a different motor is just the sheer size of the 2810-11 - it's a big fat motor that weighs almost 3oz.

BP hobbies ships fast too, so I've already received the BP A2810-11. As it turns out, I have another model with a 2217-9 and that is exactly the motor I'm thinking of using on the Stearman - glad to see that someone has already done similar. In fact, I'm going to swap the 2217-9 out for the 2810-11 on the other model - an e-converted .15 glow model, so I will be testing that one later today.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 11:29 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
It is a wonderful covering job for an ARF. No doubt.
mike early is offline Find More Posts by mike early
Last edited by mike early; Sep 22, 2011 at 08:07 AM.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 01:28 AM
Vacuum Tubes Forever BCT2/BCR3
MN AZ
Joined Oct 2006
115 Posts
Can someone tell me which side of the n-strut is forward, long or short side?

Thanks

JohnB
jiberk is offline Find More Posts by jiberk
Old Sep 22, 2011, 11:08 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,179 Posts
I would guess the short-side to the front to account for the increased thickness of the wing.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Sep 22, 2011, 08:01 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiberk View Post
Can someone tell me which side of the n-strut is forward, long or short side?

Thanks

JohnB
Take a look at these pictures / videos carefully.

Click on full size at the top of each picture for a larger zoomed in view for the pictures.

Go To:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=26
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2011, 02:38 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,661 Posts
Hi Guys!

Like to share Video Capture of today's early morning action!

Gerry enjoying his Great Plane Super Stearman during a super Sunday Morning at a place we all affectionately call "EDWARDS" due to the wide and open space with smooth concrete surface!

Great Planes Super Stearman over East Orlando Florida 09-25-2011.wmv (1 min 59 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2011, 03:10 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,661 Posts
Part 2 of the Action!

Guys,

Here is Part 2 of today's Action with spins!!!

Great Planes Electrifly Super Stearman Part-2 09-25-2011.wmv (3 min 17 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2011, 06:05 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
This is a great plane at a good price. I presume it will catch on and become more popular.
Old Oct 03, 2011, 04:57 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10721967/tm.htm

For any 4-stroke lovers....