HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Today, 02:09 PM
Joined Aug 2014
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk989 View Post
I think that's a grease nipple K. Gotta keep your shaft well-lubed if you don't want to burn out the hole.
Aha! Nope...don't want any burning holes
Kahmed79 is online now Find More Posts by Kahmed79
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 02:33 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
1,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahmed79 View Post
Aha! Nope...don't want any burning holes
After all, that's what did for Herculaneum and Pompeii
madbugger is offline Find More Posts by madbugger
Old Today, 02:40 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
1,044 Posts
Fire, what is the current state of play on your Uni rock-crawlin venue. Still usable or did they put a fence round it, turn it over the the Biology students to study aquatic life, or do any of the myriad things the authorities normally do to stop us indulging in FUN
Old Today, 02:46 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbugger View Post
Fire, what is the current state of play on your Uni rock-crawlin venue. Still usable or did they put a fence round it, turn it over the the Biology students to study aquatic life, or do any of the myriad things the authorities normally do to stop us indulging in FUN
They planted 6 foot high reeds along one side which look ugly as hell, and right now it has no water in it for some reason which means it stinks like hell from decomposing algae. When it does have moving water in it, there are no rapids, it's just a series of pools with river rocks in the bottom. Disgraceful.
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Old Today, 03:25 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
1,044 Posts
Quote:
They planted 6 foot high reeds along one side which look ugly as hell, and right now it has no water in it for some reason which means it stinks like hell from decomposing algae. When it does have moving water in it, there are no rapids, it's just a series of pools with river rocks in the bottom. Disgraceful.
Time to put in for that research sponsorship we talked of almost two years ago, I fancy
Old Today, 04:06 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
2,098 Posts
Yea it certainly wouldn't have got my stamp of approval as-is!
Old Today, 04:10 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
1,044 Posts
Quote:
Yea it certainly wouldn't have got my stamp of approval as-is!
Typical. A good idea ruined in the execution - even as a water-feature, never mind as a play area for rock-crawlers which even I can accept was not high on the Uni's list of priorities
Old Today, 07:29 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbugger View Post
Typical. A good idea ruined in the execution - even as a water-feature, never mind as a play area for rock-crawlers which even I can accept was not high on the Uni's list of priorities
Yea it would have looked so much better aesthetically if they didn't put those stupid reeds in. Should've been some nice rocks and boulders in there with a nice ground cover or something along those lines, maybe some shrubs. Now it separates both sides of the walkway and you can't even see the water from the reed side. Fortunately they chopped all the reeds down today because they were starting to wither and die from the cold, but they'll be back come spring. Now it just looks like there was a corn harvest taken out of there.
Old Today, 07:46 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
2,098 Posts
I did some digging, and it turns out it's a storm water management feature, so it's actually supposed to collect and filter storm water before it's released elsewhere. In that case I understand the reeds, but they could've picked a type that wasn't so tall that you can't see over or through them. I don't think that's what the designers had in mind.

http://planning.ubc.ca/sites/plannin...1035-Storm.pdf
Old Today, 08:20 PM
He who has the most toys wins.
Australia, QLD, Mooloolaba
Joined Apr 2013
1,765 Posts
Thanks guys... glad you like it, here's some pics for your delectation

Well, after almost 6 weeks and tens of dollars... it's done

The unit in the boat had a different servo mount, which was way too high, that's why the boat didn't have it's lid on. I've redesigned the servo layout so they're positioned much lower, so it'll suit installing in lower profile hulls. Or, you can mount the servos separately if you like, and not use my mount.

The whole idea is to make it as universal as possible. That's why the motor mount is separate as well. If your installation needs weight further forward then you could mount the motor separately and use a longer flex shaft.

You can't see it in the pics but there's a brass tube that gets epoxied into the body for the flex shaft to run in, so it's supported for it's entire length, with bearings at both ends.

The bearings are standard sizes that you can buy on eBay. So if you mainly run in salt water like I do you could use stainless ones... or lash out for full ceramic ones

The impeller hanging out of the back of the boat is what was running in the vid. As you can see, I didn't exactly spend hours sanding it, yet it still performs well. Once I get my new printer up and running they'll be perfectly smooth from the get go. In the mean time, the more work you put in, the more you'll get out. Even as rough as it is it doesn't lack thrust, it's pretty hard to hang onto if you punch it. Testing in the tub at more than 1/4 throttle will get you in big strife with the missus

There's a short stator/housing and nozzle available if the trim function isn't required. I've been sending them out with KMB drives for a while now.

I'll be selling all the bits individually or as kits depending on what peeps want. The impeller and wear ring will be $5 each for when you wear them out, they're made of ABS, the same as the KMB, so they should last well. The impeller just epoxies onto the flex shaft, which is just standard 4mm which you can get anywhere. To remove an old impeller, just heat the flex in the oven to around 150 celcius and slide it off... carefully

Besides the impeller, the stator housing cup, trim ring and nozzle require a bit of hand sanding. Also the brass tube needs to be epoxied in and the hole drilled through for the grease nipple.

If peeps wanna save a few bucks, I'll make it available as a raw kit, where you do the finishing work yourself... or for a few extra bucks, with all that done and ready to go.

Next on the drawing board is the reverse bucket, as far as I know, that'll make it the first model jet unit with both trim and reverse

Also, the impellers and stators will be available in CW and CCW versions for those that want to do twin setups.

I haven't finalised pricing yet, but let's just say it will be the most versatile, and the cheapest jet unit for it's size anywhere, especially if you do the finishing work yourself. If any of you regular bar flies want to take the plunge, PM me and we'll work something out, I have enough bits to put a couple of units together

I'll need to do a full launch on eBay pretty damn soon though, it seems that Thomas from KMB has gotten wind of this, as he's not answering my emails any more, which isn't like him... oh well, out with the old, in with the new
ondabeach is online now Find More Posts by ondabeach
Last edited by ondabeach; Today at 08:30 PM.
Old Today, 09:16 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
7,330 Posts
More better..

chidago is online now Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member