HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:18 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwatson View Post
I am in the process of finishing my build and wanting go shroud less with a stiffer carbon mast. I have access to a P2x shaft here in Singapore but had a question regarding what else needs to be done to make the mod work.

I only want to go to the kite store once and pick everything up I need.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

David
David

There is a lot of debate on using 6mm vs 5mm Carbon Mast.

From Personal experience I have stuck with the 5mm Mast for A & B Rig conditions. I have gone with a 5x3 (id) Tube that is plenty stiff enough.

Staying with the standard Graupner Goosenenck has its' advantages as the Pivot of the sail is slightly away from the mast which releases some tension on the cunningham for downwind.

The challenge then comes to deciding whether Bearing Goosenecks are better than standard..

The better sailors always seem to have the best equipment (perception) & this only clouds the discussion.

The Standard MM in Kit form is plenty competitive with a few small upgrades.. Sail is an obvious one with the decision on Keel shape down to local conditions.

But if the question is whether to Upgrade the Mast to go shroudless then I suggest a cost effective 5x3mm Replacement. Everything in the kit can still be used..

If after time further improvements are perceived then you have something to compare to..

Attached are some ideas on how to rig with 6mm wrapped carbon tubes. Fairly large PDF as it contains some photos, had to edit for File Size.

Cheers

john
waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:37 PM
United Kingdom, England, Southsea
Joined Apr 2011
199 Posts
im using an almost standard carbon edition for local club racing , ive used the supplied mast but omited the shrouds and havnt had any problems yet ! my radio plate is of my own design and puts both servos on the same plate , rudder control is via a solid 2mm stainless steel rod , my keel buld isnt hidden inside the supplied plastic cover , its purley painted , and placed back as far as rules allow on the fin .
triumphjon is offline Find More Posts by triumphjon
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:01 PM
Yosef Sailor
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2011
514 Posts
Waboats & Truimphjon,

Thanks for the input.

I am at the point of getting ready to paint it and glue the deck on.

I didnt want to drill the holes for the shrouds if I didn't have to. I have contacted the local kite supply here in Singapore and they have carbon wrapped rod if I want to go that route.

I think I will try the existing mast without shrouds first and see where that gets me.

Looking at Mike Westons design for the his racing version, I did make a new servo mount the the rudder and minimzed the provided wooded parts used.. I used 533 plastic sheeting for reinforcing.

I am going with a steering rod set up with boot instead of the pull pull as well. I am using Hitec 82 for steering and 225 for my sail winch. I had to modify the cut outs just a little to fit the servos's.

I will make some form of an adjustable battery holder/velcro so I can move the battery pack fore and aft for weight distribution.

Are the standard sails ok or should I look at a set of custom?

Thanks again.
David

I am going to shoot it with white on deck and blue hull then spray a top coat and see how she does. I am excited.
dwatson is offline Find More Posts by dwatson
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:50 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwatson View Post
Waboats & Truimphjon,

Are the standard sails ok or should I look at a set of custom?

Thanks again.
David

I am going to shoot it with white on deck and blue hull then spray a top coat and see how she does. I am excited.
David

In light weather the Standard Kit sails are pretty good & in drifting conditions they are better than Mylar. Not being as stiff as mylar they set quicker & the boat moves away faster.

Once the wind gets up a bit sails that can hold their shape better & longer will outperform the Kit Sails.. The Kit Sails are flat cut with no panels.. Fairly easy to copy if you have any experience making sails..

A panel sail by an experienced Sailmaker is always a good option to have.

Unless you are going into racing the MM fairly soon, I would recommend using the Kit sails to get some experience with the Boat. I still use my Kit Sails occasionally & these are nearly 5 years old... They got heavy use for 3 years before being dropped onto a loan boat.

Cheers

John
Last edited by waboats; Feb 14, 2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:55 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
2013 Australian Micro Magic Championships

Well it is now Official, the 2013 Australian MM National swill be held on 20 & 21 April 2013

Location Maitland, NSW

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en...-8&sa=N&tab=wl

A bit of History on the site...

http://www.maitland.nsw.gov.au/Tourism/Walka

For now the Official Notice of Race (NOR) has been distributed & hopefully will be uplaoded to the OZ MM Site shortly.

All are welcome.

I have my flights booked already & with friends locally I have managed a sweet deal on accomodation...

Cheers

John
Aust MM Int Rep

AUS 137
Last edited by waboats; Feb 16, 2013 at 01:07 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:36 AM
Joined May 2011
584 Posts
Just ordered a new A suit of Catsails from rcyachts ... anyone else tried these?
northernmike is offline Find More Posts by northernmike
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:08 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,109 Posts
So if i want to come into this class where and who are the go to people.Obtaining a boat with the newer hull and bulb but older keel and rudder seems daunting and the rigs that come with the kits seem to be not fast in racing circles.I like spending once and racing lots fill me in.Thanks
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:53 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tug View Post
So if i want to come into this class where and who are the go to people.Obtaining a boat with the newer hull and bulb but older keel and rudder seems daunting and the rigs that come with the kits seem to be not fast in racing circles.I like spending once and racing lots fill me in.Thanks
Tug

A little confused with your terminology but I will try & give it my best. If you are racing LOTS, what class & location?

If you are looking at a pure Race Boat ready to sail in high end competition then I would suggest a Champ Edition from RC Yachts UK... Comes with MK2 Hull, MK1 Keel Mk2 Bulb & Mk1 Rudder already sorted... You can even order Servos to match..

http://www.rcyachts.org.uk/epages/St...20-%20Champ%22

Is there such Competition in your location?

Hard to say as you haven't been too specific about local interest or number of MM Sailors.. Takes 2 to have a race

Sails & Sailmakers are down to a personal preference but I like VAM Sails & a variety of others as well..

I currently run BG Sails "A" Rig , on my boat. "B" Rig is by Steve Arthur & older RYSA "B" Rig from OZ & "C" Rig from Graphite in UK. And the Kit A Rig in certain conditions.. Even managed a Photo of my Boat on the front cover of ARYA Radio Waves Newsletter using the Kit A Rig JIB. Local Conditions dictate the sails needed.

D & E Rigs.. Too Bloody Cold & Windy so I prefer a coffee at home..

The people to talk to are your Local MM Sailors.. They are the ones who set the local standard. Search out the Local Clubs & ask the questions there..

If none are close then I would suggest making contact with USA association as they are probably the closest. They can set you in the right direction.

http://usa.magicmicro.org/news.php

If it is just a friendly sail you are looking from the MM then the Kit is the way to go..

Newer Hull they are all the same .. MK2 is the preferred option..
Last edited by waboats; Feb 16, 2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:54 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,109 Posts
My terminology is simple,i race model boats.I have read that the kit out of the box cannot cut it.I have no problem doing assembly but need to know what is fast and where is the best place to get it.Thanks
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:19 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Quote:
My terminology is simple,i race model boats.I have read that the kit out of the box cannot cut it.I have no problem doing assembly but need to know what is fast and where is the best place to get it.Thanks
Tug

OK you race model boats.. The Kit MM cuts it quite easily.. Just depends on the competition & the Skill Level of the Skippers you sail against..

If you want to copmpete HIGH END then you might decide you want to spend more money..

But the simple answer is Check with the Local MM Group & decide what level you require to be competitive..

Like you said

Quote:
Sailing on your own is boring,get what they sail at your local club.

And like I said

Quote:
Originally Posted by waboats View Post
Tug

If you are looking at a pure Race Boat ready to sail in high end competition then I would suggest a Champ Edition from RC Yachts UK... Comes with MK2 Hull, MK1 Keel Mk2 Bulb & Mk1 Rudder already sorted... You can even order Servos to match..

http://www.rcyachts.org.uk/epages/St...20-%20Champ%22

Last edited by waboats; Feb 17, 2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:32 PM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,109 Posts
Thanks!!!!!
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:34 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Thanks!!!!!
Tug

Glad to be of assistance.

If there is a Group of MM's sailing in Barbados, then they might want to get together & join the International MM fraternity..

No special entry requirements just to sail the MM.. All countries are welcome...

You might even get Voting Rights once more Formal Competitions are commenced (minimum numbers to qualify for voting)..

cheers

John

Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:13 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
2013 Australian Micro Magic Championships

Quote:
Originally Posted by waboats View Post
Well it is now Official, the 2013 Australian MM National swill be held on 20 & 21 April 2013

Location Maitland, NSW

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en...-8&sa=N&tab=wl

A bit of History on the site...

http://www.maitland.nsw.gov.au/Tourism/Walka

For now the Official Notice of Race (NOR) has been distributed & hopefully will be uplaoded to the OZ MM Site shortly.

All are welcome.

I have my flights booked already & with friends locally I have managed a sweet deal on accomodation...

Cheers

John
Aust MM Int Rep

AUS 137

On-Line entry is now loaded & taking Entries.

NOR is also available

http://www.rc-yachts.net/index.php?o...nes&Itemid=375

Or a link from the Aust MM website..

http://www.aus.magicmicro.org/p/foru....php?3529.last
Last edited by waboats; Feb 19, 2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:31 PM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,298 Posts
My MM arrived so I'll join the fraternity.

In introduction, my primary interest area is/has been sport and scale planes but I enjoy variety and have a good bit of sailing background so have been thinking RC sailboats the last couple of years.

Several RC plane buddies go back nearly forty years and I don't know of any other RC sailors in the area so it'll be up to me to try to generate a little interest or ferret out some activity if it exist but will do so as a secondary interest area.

For the present, I'd be happy to have my two grandsons 8&12 share some sailing hence why getting the MM to add to another boat that I recently fell into. Not too often do we have both grandsons with us at the same time... so two boats might do it for now and if both are then I'll watch and coach. For that matter, a granddaughter (five) might decide to get into the fray.

Looking forward to starting the build... guess this would be the place to search for answers or post any questions that might arise.
AA5BY is online now Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:32 PM
Joined May 2011
584 Posts
You're going to need two MMs! They're that good.
northernmike is offline Find More Posts by northernmike