SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 17, 2010, 03:24 PM
Build more, websurf less
Long Valley, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,712 Posts
Question
Gluing Kfm Layers

I'm making a 32" 3D plane from 6mm Depron and want to place a KFm2 type layer on the wing.

What would be a good glue to secure the layers of 6mm Depron together?

Thanks,

Paul
FlyingW is offline Find More Posts by FlyingW
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2010, 07:07 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
I use hot glue. I squirt the glue around the edges and a few swipes in the center area, and press the parts together. Obviously, you got to do this fast so the hot glue doesn't cool off.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Old Feb 17, 2010, 07:46 PM
Prop Buster Extraordinaire
Seattle
Joined Aug 2009
1,201 Posts
You are a far braver man than I, rusty!

I use PU. Very thin layer. Lots of weights - about 60 lbs of bar bells - set on a board on top of the wing section.
philba is offline Find More Posts by philba
Old Feb 17, 2010, 08:22 PM
Norway
Joined Feb 2010
602 Posts
I'm fairly new to foam building, but I have fallen in love with UHU-POR foam safe contact adhesive (sometimes called uhu-por Creative).

Spread it thin on both parts, let it dry until it's set but still tacky, five minutes usually does it, then join the parts. It remains slightly flexible, so it won't crack or flake like CA. You can even make hinges from it, by spreading it thinly over the flat side of a bevel-cut.

Once the parts touch, they're stuck, so you'll have to get it right the first time. For gluing my 42" Divinity wing with KFM airfoils, I laid the parts next to each other, glue side up, and used a couple of tape pieces as hinges, ensuring that that edge lined up perfectly.
meshyx is offline Find More Posts by meshyx
Old Feb 17, 2010, 08:38 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
philba... Its the only glue I had other then epoxy. I now have Gorrilla glue, but never tried it yet. Hot glue does fine, but you got to move fast!
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Old Feb 17, 2010, 09:25 PM
John 3:16
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
I've done hot glue on smaller surfaces, the pu glue is great, but I also like the 3M Super 77 adhesive spray. The Elmer's brand is not as good as the 3M. You need just put a thin layer on both halves, let it dry up a bit (about 5 to 10 minutes) then put them together. Make sure you line it up right, because you may only get one chance depending on how dry the glue has set up. I have also used fabric tac from Walmart, but don't care for it for this purpose.

Daddy-O

One more thought, if you use the pu glue, you really need to make sure the top layer is evenly weighed down with some heavy weights, because it will try to expand in the middle and will deform your two pieces somewhat if not weighed down good.
Daddy-O is offline Find More Posts by Daddy-O
Last edited by Daddy-O; Feb 17, 2010 at 09:27 PM. Reason: one more thought
Old Feb 17, 2010, 11:51 PM
Seattle
Joined Aug 2009
1,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy-O View Post
One more thought, if you use the pu glue, you really need to make sure the top layer is evenly weighed down with some heavy weights, because it will try to expand in the middle and will deform your two pieces somewhat if not weighed down good.
Oh yeah, learned that the hard way. also, don't take the weight off it too soon - it will surprise you.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 10:01 AM
Build more, websurf less
Long Valley, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,712 Posts
Thanks guys,

I will try white Gorilla Glue. I've been using it ofr other stuff and like the way it performs.

Take care all,

Paul
FlyingW is offline Find More Posts by FlyingW
Old Feb 18, 2010, 10:22 AM
Flying Saucer Mechanic
Middle River MD
Joined Dec 2000
520 Posts
gluing foam

water based contact cement works well to.
Stef is offline Find More Posts by Stef
Old Feb 18, 2010, 12:19 PM
John 3:16
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef View Post
water based contact cement works well to.
Yep, I forgot about that stuff - very good if allowed to get tacky before putting the pieces together. It's been awhile since I've used it though. I had a bunch here a long time ago. I wonder what I did with that...
Daddy-O
Daddy-O is offline Find More Posts by Daddy-O
Old Feb 18, 2010, 02:42 PM
United States, MI, Parma
Joined Aug 2006
200 Posts
What brands of water based contact cement have you been using? I have had little success with these to date. It may be I am applying them improperly, possibly not letting them tack up eneough.

I was spoiled by the UHU foam contact ement that is no longer in my area. It is way to expensive to order in so I need a goo alternative.

The PU Elmers is what I have been using of late and I have to agree it works very good with no seperation a few months after application. I have also gotten to spreading it alot thinner than what I thought would work originally. Less is better especially if you are trying to avoid that foam up at the seams like on a Kfm wing when you glue the laminations up.
Rolland Benson is offline Find More Posts by Rolland Benson
Old Feb 18, 2010, 03:05 PM
Seattle
Joined Aug 2009
1,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolland Benson View Post
The PU Elmers is what I have been using of late and I have to agree it works very good with no seperation a few months after application. I have also gotten to spreading it alot thinner than what I thought would work originally. Less is better especially if you are trying to avoid that foam up at the seams like on a Kfm wing when you glue the laminations up.
Yeah, It's taken me some time to really believe that a super thin layer of PU is all that's needed. I'd say that you need 1/3 to 1/4 of the amount of other glues. But that means a lot less weight from the glue and you still get a bond that is stronger than the foam. That's why PU is my favorite glue.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 09:33 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,108 Posts
PU is my first choice, Gorilla Quick specifically. It is about all I use any more. And make sure to go by the Garden Department and grab a small plastic plant misting bottle. The water is what wakes up the foaming action on PU and it will not be anywhere near as good without it.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Feb 18, 2010, 09:44 PM
Long time newbie
USA, TX, Katy
Joined Nov 2006
976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
PU is my first choice, Gorilla Quick specifically. It is about all I use any more. And make sure to go by the Garden Department and grab a small plastic plant misting bottle. The water is what wakes up the foaming action on PU and it will not be anywhere near as good without it.

Jack
I like gorilla glue too. I put it on thin and use an old credit card to squeegee it around to cover the whole gluing surface. Make it super thin than hit the layered piece with a spritz of water.
heymak is online now Find More Posts by heymak
Old Feb 24, 2010, 09:43 AM
Flying Saucer Mechanic
Middle River MD
Joined Dec 2000
520 Posts
Gluing foam

I like the polyurethanes also but if the surface is shiny like depron or has a film on it like FFF poly glue will pull away or peel off. Sanding or small holes in the surface to give it "bite" is needed to insure a good bond. As for water based contact adhesive just follow can directions to the letter. You have to let the surfaces dry and as soon as they don't stick to your fingers put the 2 surfaces together and be careful of alignment
Stef is offline Find More Posts by Stef