HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 05, 2012, 07:00 PM
volare est vivere
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Jan 2005
2,032 Posts
hi there fromToledo

I boldly lifted the idea of the pylon mounted Hstab and elevator for use on a Houston Hawk sailplane that I am buildiing for the Toledo Expo next week. I am also using a fishing pole tail boom which I bought at Bass Pro. My build is in the Thermal section in the Houston Hawk Project thread. Thanks for the inspiration.

ciao -rjf
ray foley is offline Find More Posts by ray foley
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2012, 08:45 AM
Joined Sep 2009
373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray foley View Post
hi there fromToledo

I boldly lifted the idea of the pylon mounted Hstab and elevator for use on a Houston Hawk sailplane that I am buildiing for the Toledo Expo next week. I am also using a fishing pole tail boom which I bought at Bass Pro. My build is in the Thermal section in the Houston Hawk Project thread. Thanks for the inspiration.

ciao -rjf
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery,Ray, as they say.

The model did not start out as being a cross tail, but in keeping for my love of V tails was going to follow the same route. Canvasing other modellers views, as it was intended for a GB Magazine, the majority view was that it should be a cross tail configuration. I still think it would be as good with a V tail and light as well.

This presented me with a problem, as the brief was that it should be able to be constructed from easily available materials, I.E no foam wings, no fibreglass fuselage and little use of hybrid materials such as kevlar & carbon. The mounting of the tail feathers did present a problem at the time, causing deep thought as to how to overcome it.
The AVA?Bubble Dancer a system that was light but had features that I did not like. The underfin can cause damage on landing on occasions and the tailplane mounting was not something that could be reproduced by the average modeller, being a moulded carbon composite feature.
So the system as used on the Watts Up came to me, as a viable alternative for the mounting of the tailplane & servo to drive it whilst the fin would not need to be large to have to take two servos.
One difference from the way you have mounted the servo in the Houston Hawk, is that the servo actually drops into an aperture cut in the boom, within the tailplane mount and screws into the boom. This cuts down on the overall height of the tailplane above the boom. Not a critizisum, just an observation
Essex BOF is offline Find More Posts by Essex BOF
Old Apr 07, 2012, 09:51 AM
volare est vivere
Joined Jan 2005
2,032 Posts
hi there from Toledo

As I was about to take some pictures of the HH, I had a moment of disturbing clarity. So I cut off the pylon, sanded the Hstab flush and rethought the whole mess.

I then cut a hole in the root of the Hstab for the servo laying on its side. I then made a plate of 1//64" ply and glued it to the bottom of the Hstab with a hole for the servo wires and one for the servo arm. I glued the plate in place and then made a removable cover/hatch for the top of the Hstab and laminated it with 1/64 plywood but not before I made the cover a little more aerodynamic with some permagrit action. A short mount will be affixed to the Hstab to mount to the Boom and to allow proper elevator action.

In any engineering endeavour there are often preliminary abortive attempts which lead to much better final solutions. Yeah, inspiration is a true giift from God.

ciao -rjf
Last edited by ray foley; May 20, 2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old Apr 07, 2012, 10:57 AM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,229 Posts
boom question for Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray foley View Post
hi there fromToledo

ciao -rjf
Hi Ray.
Two questions -
1. could you (if you have them handy..) tell me the boom outside diameters at each end, total weight, and length ?
2. was the fiberglass pole a 'blank' designed for fishing pole scratch builders from basspro or a finished unit that was stripped off?

thanks in advance, good speed for the project and show date!!

js
jswain is offline Find More Posts by jswain
Old Apr 07, 2012, 02:29 PM
volare est vivere
Joined Jan 2005
2,032 Posts
hin there from Toledo

hey JS

1) The boom is currently 33" long, 0.77" Dia large end, 0.65" small end. The section was initially 43" long and I cut 10" from the large end. I already epoxied the Boom to the Vstab/rudder, sorry too late to weigh the Boom separately.

2) This is the third section of five from a finished collapsible pole, cost ~$22 USD at Bass Pro and I think that it is bakelite not fiberglass.

I hope this helps.

ciao -rjf
Last edited by ray foley; Dec 01, 2012 at 10:40 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:41 PM
Joined Sep 2009
373 Posts
Richard Baynham idea for the spoiler action, as an alternative to what is shown on plan, as sent to me:-

Thought i would like to tell you about a nice way of doing airbrakes of the Watts Up type. I did this on a model last year and found it to be a simple mechanism please read on.

I instal the servo as you have done or put the servo in wing and push brake up. THEN.. I epoxy glued a button magnet on the end of the servo arm. I have used one about 6mm dia x 2mm or you could glue one either side. Then glue a strip of thin steel or tin onto the part the arm pushes on so that the magnet is alway's in contact with the steel. The magnet edge sits on the steel
Like this the mag holds the brake shut or open wherever the servo tells it to go. It obviosly needs no major alterations and is easy. if the wing is turned upside down in the car it stays shut.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 05:47 PM
From The Lab
Beverly, MA 01915 USA
Joined May 2001
154 Posts
Middy Tail boom

My tail booms finally made their way from Middy in the UK, to New Word Carp in Canada, to me in the USA.

I bought a complete pole plus 3 of the section intended as the tail boom. I will post dimensions and weights shortly.

These look like nice tailbooms. I don't know enough about composite construction to compare them to other available booms or fishing rods.
skranish is offline Find More Posts by skranish
Old May 20, 2012, 07:37 AM
Joined Sep 2009
373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex BOF View Post
Have attached cad drawing of the wing, with dimensions as a guide to anyone who has a desire to build one, I am short of time at the moment as I want to start a new project for next year, whilst putting another model together.

Had a problem after the Nationals when the Multplex motor gave up the ghost with the GB parting company from the motor. Not really wanting to buy another motor, modified the nose to accomadate a Kontronik 480 with 5.2 GB .

This involved opening out the nose former to 26mm dia for the mounting to bolt onto a new motor mount that had different bolt holes. New plate screws onto wood front with 4 csk screws, then motor cam be screwed onto plate as shown. Plate is from scrap fibreglass PC board.
I am in a position now to draw up the 2 Metre wing with flaps & ailerons and MH30 section. Will keep you informed as to when it will be available.
I reckon this version would double up as a very useful slope soarer, with or without motor or just take the prop off. Very aerobatic with good penetration.

Changed my mind on doing it as a lot of correspondence has persauded me otherwise.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 03:06 AM
Joined Sep 2009
373 Posts
Reply from R Baynham,Norfolk, UK:-

Thankyou very much for designing this model its really good and a pleasure to fly

.Finished and flown my watts up and it is great. Probably the nicest model i have flown. My daughter had a go and reckons it feels like a cross between my Bird of Time and my faithfull old Proton glider. She had it well up on her first go. She is a good thermal flyer.
A bigger compliment could not be said. Flew it in our club comp and won and I have only flown it 3flights before.
yes I have made slight mods to suit me but nothing that detracts from its design.
Finished weight 37ounces without batteries(100" model)
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:16 AM
Joined Sep 2009
373 Posts
The 2 metre conversion of the Watts Up, keeps up with the more advanced stuff,.see results below of the Bartletts Comp on 9th September. This was the version of the standard one with just the inner tip panels. Not the new wing which I have been a bit tardy on as other things have got in the way this summer.
In pencil stage just needs inking in.

There are picture on this thread of the one referred to with blue wing tips. See Page 14 of this thread. In light air I change to 1300 3 cell Lipo to save weight, right up against the former behind the motor

See results below, with type of models flown:-

1000 4996.6 K. Fisher (Open) Shadow
999 4993.7 A. Twine (Open) Stork4
984 4919.3 B. Austin (Open) Electra
981 4906.4 G. Mathews (Open) Shadow
970 4851.2 B. Austin (2mtr) Watts Up
958 4768.4 P. Wainwright (Open) Bitsa’s
947 4731.2 P. Wainwright (2mtr) Bitsa & Sprite
912 4558.6 R. Gadenne (Open) Shadow
890 4447.0 D. Godbold (Open) Bitsa
856 4275.3 R. Mexome (Open) Cadenza
827 4131.5 J. Ott (100S) Organic
788 3935.1 D. Collings (Open) Stork 4
750 3748.6 J. Burns (Open) Stork X Tail
732 3655.3 G. Read (Open) Ava & Mistral
722 3605.5 R. Potts (Open) Stork4 & Electra
702 3509.2 T. Merritt (2mtr) ?
675 3370.6 R. Sleight (100S) Pelican Pike
614 3067.3 P. Mitchell (Open) Explorer
602 3007.6 P. Cavender (100S) ?
601 3005.0 J. Burns (2mtr) Magic
568 2839.3 R. Taylor (2mtr) Easy Glider
559 2794.0 J. Adams (2mtr) ?
533 2661.5 C. Boorman (Open) Shadow
532 2659.6 M. Cordwell (100S) ?
479 2392.4 P. Mitchell (2mtr) Omega
354 1770.2 M. Connell (100S
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:19 AM
Joined Sep 2009
373 Posts
I now have the Watts Up 2 Metre Fast Wing Plan available for those who are interested in it, if they contact me. Can be built to fit on the existing fuselage, need minimum 7 channels to operate it.

Have flown model in this configuration in 25 knot winds, fully aerobatic and useful for slope soaring as well.

Photo of wing plan attached.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:47 AM
St. Neots, England
Joined Sep 2002
149 Posts
Hi BOF

I'm interested in the 2M wing for my Watts Up. Being lazy I wonder if there is a laser cut rib set available?

Thanks for sharing.

Phil.
Phil_P is offline Find More Posts by Phil_P
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:07 PM
From The Lab
Beverly, MA 01915 USA
Joined May 2001
154 Posts
Interested, too. Same ribs as standard wing? Different?
thanks

Steve
skranish at verizon dot net
skranish is offline Find More Posts by skranish
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:17 AM
Joined Sep 2009
373 Posts
The wing on this version is completely different both in shape and section used being MH 30, rather than MH 32 as on the original. Needs 4 servo's in the wing as well. Wing is also fully sheeted with 1/16th balsa.

For use in winds from approx 12mph and upwards or slope soaring and even as an aerobatic model, with limiter disconected if fitted, for general fun flying.

I do not have any plans to get the wing ribs laser cut as the demand is unknown and I find it just as easy to cut them out after plotting them and sticking them onto the balsa sheet. I have drawn them on the plan this time as Traplet ommitted them on the original plan. for their own purpose. They are as accurate as I can draw them from the plot, but would advise plotting them as this would be better. Profili is a free plot programme I use Tracfoil, but there are several out there.

There are pictures on page 17 of the 2 metre wing build using MH30 for guidance.
Last edited by Essex BOF; Oct 13, 2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:19 PM
Joined Oct 2012
2 Posts
Wats up

Hi!
Om looking forward to start the build! Ordered the short kit 2years ago...but i missed the magazine article, does anyone have the article? It would be a great help!

Best regards from Svenn, Norway
Svennrotor is offline Find More Posts by Svennrotor
Last edited by Svennrotor; Oct 29, 2012 at 04:24 PM.