SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 13, 2009, 11:57 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,574 Posts
Discussion
Spinner for GWS Me 109??

Anybody know where I can find a correct looking spinner for this plane? I'd like a 2 & 3 blade type if they are available.

BTW I'm using the generic spinners that gwsprops.com sells but i'm looking for something that looks more scale.

Thanks,
Alan
GiusedtoBe is online now Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2009, 12:04 AM
Columbus, OH
Joined Aug 2008
214 Posts
Dubro makes some pretty good spinners, go to their website and search for spinners. I think they have everything from 1" up, and I know that they have 3 blade ones. They look pretty good.
Slider388 is offline Find More Posts by Slider388
Old Jun 14, 2009, 12:18 AM
I need a bigger Hanger!
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Jan 2008
772 Posts
I used an E-flite spinner from their P-38 kit on my 109 and it fits nice.

Fran
Big Fran is offline Find More Posts by Big Fran
Old Jun 14, 2009, 12:39 AM
Suspended Account
West Central PA
Joined Dec 2008
2,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider388
Dubro makes some pretty good spinners, go to their website and search for spinners. I think they have everything from 1" up, and I know that they have 3 blade ones. They look pretty good.
I don't think they have anything with the correct profile. Too pointy.

The GWS 4-blade rubber spinner for the P51 really isn't that far off. I eliminated the plastic backing plate that has the prop relief cuts, and cut them in the rubber spinner for a 3-blade prop.
WTFLYR is offline Find More Posts by WTFLYR
Old Jun 14, 2009, 01:53 PM
Sky Captain Of Yesteryear
Joined Nov 2008
97 Posts
The stock foam spinner doesnt look too terrible if you put some work into it. Although the 3 blade props might not fit well.
Max Powers is offline Find More Posts by Max Powers
Old Jun 14, 2009, 04:24 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,574 Posts
Max, nice 109! What did you use for the guns? I probably will use the foam spinner for the two blader. Flight tests today. I'll post a pic later if she survives. This is a pic of version one that sadly died due to motor failure and me not noticing the loss of power until it was too late. The new one has the later Galland scheme.

Regards,
Alan
Old Jun 14, 2009, 07:32 PM
Joined Nov 2008
97 Posts
Sorry to hear about the crash. Mine barely survived its first flight as well; managed to pull er up at the last second.

I made the guns from extra pushrod tubing in the kit that the manual says is for the antenna.

As far as the spinner goes, i found it almost impossible to get the foam one to glue straight enough to the plastic one so it didnt wobble.

Just get it as close as you can and let it dry. Then use the motor like a lathe, and take a sanding block to it.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 12:19 AM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,574 Posts
Flew the 109 yesterday and I was thrilled. It flew better than the last one and that is saying something since the original was a good flyer. This one required only one click of left aileron trim and it flew like it was on rails. THe TP 2409-12T motor had plenty of power w/out being ridiculous. I'm looking forward to flying this again. Can anybody compare this plane to the GWS Zero? I've got that kit sitting in my work area but I might bump it to the head of the line if it flies as good as the ME 109. Anyway here is version 2.

Regards,
Alan
Old Jun 16, 2009, 01:48 PM
Joined Nov 2008
97 Posts
Nice lookin bird, the 3 bade prop fits just right on it. (should get me some)
The only real difference ive found between the 109 and the zero, is that since the zero has a larger wing area it handles better at slower speeds. The zero wont tip stall at the same speed the 109 does.

BTW it looks like you have packing tape on the LE of the wing. I pretty much covered the entire bottom of the plane in it.
Last edited by Max Powers; Jun 16, 2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 03:37 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Powers
Nice lookin bird, the 3 bade prop fits just right on it. (should get me some)
The only real difference ive found between the 109 and the zero, is that since the zero has a larger wing area it handles better at slower speeds. The zero wont tip stall at the same speed the 109 does.

BTW it looks like you have packing tape on the LE of the wing. I pretty much covered the entire bottom of the plane in it.
Max,

Yes I did put "aviation" tape as we call it on the LE and wing bottom since I belly land it. To me this plane handles extremely well at slow speed and kind of floats. Of course i don't turn it while gliding in slow. Looking forward to the zeke.

THanks for the compliment as well. I like it. It does'nt have the scale effects of yours but I'm not that good at that sort of thing and the nicer I make it look the sicker I'll feel when it eventually dies. Maybe I'm beyond that, at least the operator error variety.

BTW how did you do the detail on the exhaust stacks? Also what kind of flight times do you get w/ the 1800 mah battery? What is your power sys? I use a 1500 Mah and got @11m on the old plane, this one should do the same. I kept the first three flights short though.

Regards,
Alan
Last edited by GiusedtoBe; Jun 16, 2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 04:10 PM
USA, CA, Dublin
Joined Jul 2006
139 Posts
Those are some nice looking birds!
I'm building a ME-109 right now also. Also planning on using the 2409-12T motor.
What size 3 blade prop is that? And how does the 3 blade prop handle belly landings? I've always wanted to use a 3 blade prop but always afraid that belly landing will break the prop?
pwu_1 is offline Find More Posts by pwu_1
Old Jun 16, 2009, 04:16 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwu_1
Those are some nice looking birds!
I'm building a ME-109 right now also. Also planning on using the 2409-12T motor.
What size 3 blade prop is that? And how does the 3 blade prop handle belly landings? I've always wanted to use a 3 blade prop but always afraid that belly landing will break the prop?
I never had a problem with the old plane and 3 flights so far on this one but I guess there is always the potential for probs. I was honestly worried about the motor shaft more than the prop blade because the GWS prop is pretty flexible. It is a 9x7x3 GWS prop/spinner that I got from gwsprops.com but you can pick them up lots of places. Thanks for the compliment and show us yours when you finish.

Regards,
Alan
Old Jun 16, 2009, 06:14 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Aug 2008
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiusedtoBe
Max, nice 109! What did you use for the guns? I probably will use the foam spinner for the two blader. Flight tests today. I'll post a pic later if she survives. This is a pic of version one that sadly died due to motor failure and me not noticing the loss of power until it was too late. The new one has the later Galland scheme.

Regards,
Alan
Nice paint scheme, what colors are those?
Here's a few pics of mine using stock spinner, it went down after a mid air collision!
Allan
iscozky is offline Find More Posts by iscozky
Last edited by iscozky; Jun 16, 2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 07:00 PM
Joined Nov 2008
97 Posts
Quote:
BTW how did you do the detail on the exhaust stacks? Also what kind of flight times do you get w/ the 1800 mah battery? What is your power sys? I use a 1500 Mah and got @11m on the old plane, this one should do the same. I kept the first three flights short though.
The 109 definately handles nicely at all speeds.
For the exaust I cut the foam thats already there and added a piece of 1/32'' balsa to the top. There is supposed to be one on the bottom too but I dont think it really needed it. (there are so many versions of this plane its hard to get the details right anyway)

I have a 2410-08Y, 890kv, 400class outrunner with a GWS HD 9x75 prop, getting 17oz of thrust. With the 1800mah lipo I can get around 25mins. But with this prop i rarely need to go over 1/2 throttle for good speed. I also have a GWS EP 10x6 wich is supposed to get around 22oz For now the 9x75 is perfect, dont see myself going for any speed records.

I just wish i could weigh mine though.
Last edited by Max Powers; Jun 16, 2009 at 08:50 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 10:56 PM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,465 Posts
You guy's have some really nice paint schemes....I kept the foam spinner as I could not find a correct looking version. Max your spinner came out real nice.
I wanted to use a 3 blade prop so I converted the stock foam spinner to a 3 blade version. I eventually went with the FSK 3 blade 9x7 as I can take off the landing gear and belly land it without breaking the blades.
LICobra is online now Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade