SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:48 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foam and tape View Post
thanks LF, All of these questions originated from looking in all the wrong places Config.h had some of what we needed but the parts where we could reverse the servos and actually where things made sense was under output. After finding that it wasn't too difficult. My freind who I left in charge of tweaking the code left a bunch of notes.

I did get it to transition to FF and back plenty of times its a little quirky with the tail motor slamming on and off but its pretty cool My next issue is finding out why its not giving me full throttle code is set to 2000 and it will only ascend if I release the elevator stick to neutral then it gives the two front motors more power I have no idea what to do with it now. The final one will be lighter so that should solve some of the problems but we'll see.
F&T, Congratulations! I'm glad you were able to figure it out. The Wii code is not real easy to use for the average guy, but if you have the patience it can do just about anything you ask it to.

Without seeing video or having my hands on the sticks it sound like the plane is tail heavy for both hover and forward flight. In hover your tail motor can't keep up and the gyros are limiting the front motors to try to maintain the correct attitude. If you can move your battery forward it should help this.

Tail motor slamming off = too much weight on the tail for forward flight and when the transition is complete the tail motor is working too hard so when it shuts down you get a bump and the tail feathers have to take over the load the tail fan was carrying...again move cg forward.

Tail motor slamming on...same thing, move cg forward. Also there should be a soft start built into the code for the restart of the tail motor...but if it is being asked to carry a lot of weight it will still spool up too quickly.

these are all just guesses , but I hope it helps. Can you supply more details of your build, props motors, battery AUW etc?. Can't wait to see video!!
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:33 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,857 Posts
oh, whoops. I kinda made it sound like it was too tail heavy, but most of the weight is on the two front motors (battery is all the way in the nose to get it to balance) the problem is I changed out the tail motor to another blue wonder motor (1700KV) and ran a 6x3 3 blader which produced wayy too much thrust and I had to pull back on the stick to get the plane to balance. I currently have it proped down to a 5x3 3 blader to reduce the amount of stick movement it takes to keep the thing from drifting forward. Hovering is a bit better but i'll experement some more with it tomorrow and seeing how well the plane can fly when tail heavy. The KF airfoil likes to be tail heavy right?
foam and tape is online now Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:57 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,913 Posts
Wing section makes no difference to stability margins. It can only affect how much corrective force the tail needs to apply to counteract the wing pitching moment.
Brandano is offline Find More Posts by Brandano
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:22 AM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,857 Posts
tail heavy as in for forward flight, right now too much load is placed on the two front motors and the tail motor is not loaded up enough to take some of the stress off of the front motors. It flys just fine in forward flight but the tricopter is not properly balanced.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:09 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,913 Posts
You can increase the size of the horizontal stab and move the CG backward
Brandano is offline Find More Posts by Brandano
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:14 AM
vtol fan
Joined Jul 2009
627 Posts
Hi F&T...
I seen some fotos at the E-fest,with one plane like Chimera!? I'ts yours!?
Cheers.....
nadine is offline Find More Posts by nadine
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:28 AM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,857 Posts
yup, unfortunately 2/3 of them crashed.....first one experienced a code error then had a naccele come loose. The one I was flying had the tail motor fail to start (unknown issue as why the motor fails to start at certain positions) basically it did a wicked loop during transition and plowed nose first into the dirt.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:08 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,248 Posts
Sorry to hear of the crashes. Any photos and video

I can't read the Cass code so I'm not much help there.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:29 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,791 Posts
Quote:
yup, unfortunately 2/3 of them crashed.....first one experienced a code error then had a naccele come loose. The one I was flying had the tail motor fail to start (unknown issue as why the motor fails to start at certain positions) basically it did a wicked loop during transition and plowed nose first into the dirt.
"unknown issue as why the motor fails to start at certain positions" Certain positions of the craft in the air, or certain positions of the "mode" switch?

If the tail fan is wind milling backwards, the esc may not be able to re-start the motor...found this out in a tricopter while attempting a brief power off decent.

One solution would be to idle the tail motor instead of shutting it completely off during forward flight mode. Easy code change.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:00 AM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,857 Posts
it was a sticking issue when the motor was in certain phases. I noticed it while on the ground that the rear motor wouldn't start till it was bumped. Unfortunately, my lack of better judgement let me fly it anyway I got away with it 10 times then it committed suicide.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:03 AM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,857 Posts
these are some pics I found from E-fest. I'm still waiting to see if anyone got video.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:53 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,791 Posts
Quote:
it was a sticking issue when the motor was in certain phases. I noticed it while on the ground that the rear motor wouldn't start till it was bumped. Unfortunately, my lack of better judgement let me fly it anyway I got away with it 10 times then it committed suicide.
When I've had a similar problem of motor not starting reliably, it is almost always a bad electrical connection...cold solder joint, broken joint only held together by heat shrink etc. and most often related to bullet connectors.

I hope someone got video of your plane too! The pictures look great.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:56 AM
Will fly for food
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined May 2011
532 Posts
Very cool
ilektron is offline Find More Posts by ilektron
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:12 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,857 Posts
I still have one left to crash film.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:14 PM
Joined Jun 2010
58 Posts
I got iphone video of the 3 Chimeras flying together Saturday afternoon at E-Fest 2013

Chimera VTOL at E-Fest 2013 (7 min 7 sec)
tom-tom 1 is offline Find More Posts by tom-tom 1